Couch Viking's first semi-dedicated home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-11-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Couch Viking's first semi-dedicated home theater

I'm in the planning stages of setting up a theater room in the house I recently bought and am looking for advice in several areas. It will definitely not be quite as hardcore a theater as some of the projects I've seen here and more limited in scope and budget. The real-deal basement theater will be the project for my next home which will be a new build. The sound system here needs to be decent, but I can't have it be registering on the Richter scale due to neighboring homes and the rest of the house vis-a-vis the sad state of sound insulation in modern homes.

I am looking to dive into the projector world for the first time on this one and am considering the JVC DLA-NX7 / RS2000. I was also looking at the Sonys, since I have always been happy with their quality and performance and am very happy with my A1E OLED. Based on what I am reading, the JVC just seems to be better suited for my use case, which will almost exclusively be movies with no gaming and very little TV etc. Things I also am in the process of learning more about is projector screens, sizes, throw distances, light output and how it would work in the space. Another option would be to get a 77" A9G Master Series OLED, but it don't think it will be nearly as immersive as a 100"+ projector screen for that room size and seating distance.

The dimensions of this second story room are 14'L x 12'W x 9' H and the plan is to build a built-in wall shelving unit in the one end to house speakers, AV equipment and hopefully a wall full of my Blu-rays if a retractable screen is an option in my scenario. Wall and carpet color will be the same as the rest of the house (light colors) due to the WAF, so no dedicated theater treatments in that regard, but I will make sure the single window and french doors to the landing are light controlled.

The space was set up as a theater room from the original builder (built 2011) and features 5 ceiling speakers in some sort of "surround" setup. I will probably recycle four of those speakers to serve as Atmos ceiling speakers, although I will have to move them around and refinish the ceiling. There is an attic directly above, so access should be ok for cabling into ceiling and walls. Right now, there are two closets where the built-in is supposed to go that will be going away. The previous owner had lots of kids and turned it into a bedroom, somehow thinking that housing your offspring trumps having a dedicated theater...

Equipment I have and am planning on using in this room:
Pioneer SC-LX801 (will need power amps for additional 2 channels / fronts)
4 surround speakers (Pioneer) -model number in my sig
1 center speaker of the same series as the surrounds
Oppo 203 UHD BD player

Equipment I am planning on adding:
Projector, likely the NX7
Projector screen
2 additional surrounds OR new fronts (L/R/C)
Subwoofer
Power amps for at least two channels (use with preouts for full 11-channel)
Seating (expect WAF to play a big part on this one)

Other equipment currently not slated to be used in theater:
Sony A1E 65"
Pioneer S-81K floorstanding speakers (2), could potentially be used in the theater
Pioneer SC-LX81 (2009 European model equivalent relative status to the LX801 (220V))
Pioneer Subwoofer (model # in my sig, also 220V)
Pioneer Kuro 50" (220v)
Arcam SA-20 (won this 2ch amp here on the forum, still unopened. Open to trade for theater stuff!)

Sorry for the long post, but throwing this out there with the hopes of useful input from the esteemed forum before I embark on the project of creating this room. Right now we're still fixing up other parts of the house, but I will probably be able to start in two months time. I mostly need wisdom on the projector setup as this is new ground for me, but any tips and tricks are welcomed. Can post pictures once I get random boxes from the move cleared out of there.

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page