Help choosing between TV mount brand and model? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By sdesiano
  • 2 Post By sdesiano

post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question Help choosing between TV mount brand and model?

I'm mounting a TV to the wall (actually, a 2008 Samsung LN46A630 for a few months and then a 2019 LG C9). I've got the specs and dimensions and VESA and everything sorted out. I want a long extension (>22") and a single arm. Put this together and there aren't a lot of choices of mounts. Still, I don't have the expertise to choose between them.

Can anyone with significant install experience (e.g. you do this for a living) weigh in on which of these they would buy?

I've read a lot of "I used it and it's fine" but I've got a 2.5 year old who is going to play under this thing and am looking for more certainty:
There's a huge range in prices which means part of it is quality and part of it is paying for a brand name. My deal breakers are reliability/quality (is it going to break the TV or my child) and stability (does the TV stay where you put it). I wouldn't mind a little post-install adjustability in case I'm not perfect and the studs aren't exactly where I want them to be.

I'm particularly interested in information about brands other than the Rolls Royces (Chief & Sanus) that I can trust.

Thank you!

-- Sal
smile.

Last edited by sdesiano; 11-17-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I have used a lot of mounts over the years and never paid over $150, my last few were the Monoprice type and in that same price range. If mounted correctly and used per the specs they aren't coming off the wall. Now if your 2 year old is going to be hanging from it, personally I would go with a flat mount, if they can't touch you'll be fine with any of them.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #3 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 432
monoprice and done

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesiano View Post
I'm mounting a TV to the wall (actually, a 2008 Samsung LN46A630 for a few months and then a 2019 LG C9). I've got the specs and dimensions and VESA and everything sorted out. I want a long extension (>22") and a single arm. Put this together and there aren't a lot of choices of mounts. Still, I don't have the expertise to choose between them.

Can anyone with significant install experience (e.g. you do this for a living) weigh in on which of these they would buy?

I've read a lot of "I used it and it's fine" but I've got a 2.5 year old who is going to play under this thing and am looking for more certainty:

There's a huge range in prices which means part of it is quality and part of it is paying for a brand name. My deal breakers are reliability/quality (is it going to break the TV or my child) and stability (does the TV stay where you put it). I wouldn't mind a little post-install adjustability in case I'm not perfect and the studs aren't exactly where I want them to be.

I'm particularly interested in information about brands other than the Rolls Royces (Chief & Sanus) that I can trust.

Thank you!

-- Sal

smile.
Take the MW extra large off your list for sure. That's what I chose and my 85" Q7D is crooked. No matter how straight you think you're drilling the holes, it will NOT be perfectly straight.

The one I chose to replace it with is here;
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12280

Look at the 3rd picture. See the +3° to -3° rotation? You want that. Even if you don't get one that big, you want to be able to do that last little bit of perfecting after it's all said and done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Tip for mounting anything level.. Drill one hole only, mount the thing with the one hole and make it tight enough to hold level, then drill second hole on the other side.. Of course when the ceiling is not level, you still may need that +-3 to make the TV "LOOK" level.. :-)
pkinneb likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #6 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I listed the mount I'm using in your other thread...

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Tip for mounting anything level.. Drill one hole only, mount the thing with the one hole and make it tight enough to hold level, then drill second hole on the other side.. Of course when the ceiling is not level, you still may need that +-3 to make the TV "LOOK" level.. :-)
Great tip, but I still assert that a level tv mount does not guarantee a level tv. There is SOME degree of human error no matter what, so even if your 36" wide tv mount looks level your much wider (74.5" for me) tv might look much more unlevel.

Even if the tv starts off level, it could settle its way towards being unlevel once you articulate that arm a few hundred times. Or if you happen to be in a new construction home the foundation could settle and make the tv ever so slightly unlevel.

For the +/- 3° feature unless you're talking of an absolutely massive price difference I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

None of this is a life or death matter, but "do it right the first time" includes buying the product that best guarantees long term satisfaction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Monoprice it is. I'm an electrical engineer by training and use them for cables so I'm glad to hear I can depend on them for this, too.

I'll update this thread when I have something attached to something else.

Thank you!
NotShorty likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Smile

FYI, put up Monoprice EZ Series Corner Friendly Full-Motion Articulating TV Wall Mount Bracket this weekend. I hung from it. The TV is hanging from it.

There was a good deal of work to be done finding the studs and sorting out the geometry of a pocket door, but it's up:

Thank you for all of your help (on this thread and others)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191125_124559.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	2645604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191125_124702.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	2645606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191125_124617.jpg
Views:	13