Wide vs long room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wide vs long room

I've seen various posts on here about this type of discussion, but it seems like most of these were pretty extreme cases (like 10ft by 25ft for example). So my room isn't as extreme, I'm looking at a room that is 13ft wide by 16ft long. Originally plan was to orient the room lengthwise, but the type of furniture I'd like to put in there won't fit in that orientation (its a modular media room sofa comprised of six pieces that is 11.25ft wide by 7.5ft deep, so like a big rectangle). If I orient this couch to go with a long room, I have very little clearance on each side and I'm worried it will be too close to the side surround speakers. Plus there are ceiling rakes on a few sides (its an attic conversion) so the clearance will be an even greater issue on one side.

If I rotate the room to be wide instead of long, I'm getting a solid 2+ feet of clearance on all sides. I'm not doing a projector or screen, probably something like a 77" OLED, so I believe I would have adequate viewing distance from the screen. I just wasn't sure if having a wider room would cause issues with surround sound. I'd like to squeeze in 7.2.4 if possible, all in-wall except for the subs. I would either have a media closet (coming off of this room on one side) or an in-wall media cabinet/rack in the room. Just want it to be as clean as possible.

I've done some rough sketches, and visually it looks like it could work, but I honestly not sure.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7375 Post(s)
Liked: 6452
Your sofa's 7.5' depth in a 13' long room means it will end up close to the back wall, which will make it difficult to do a typical 7-speaker base layer with any meaningful separation between the Sides & Rears (the main reason for doing 4 surrounds). Moving the sofa a few feet forward can be problematic since that will bring it within a couple feet of the front wall (again, its 7.5' depth).

With that in mind, you'd be better off doing a 5-speaker base layer with a single pair of Surrounds, mounted slightly above seated ear height, in the back corners of the room (for greater envelopment). If your receiver supports Wides, the you can do an alternate 7-speaker base layer: 5.2 + Wides.

The main downside to using in-walls is that you cannot toe them towards the listeners.

Sanjay
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess a 5.2.4 might be more recommended with the limited space I have? I'm not against this by any means, plus I may save some $$ as I would only need a 9.2 receiver and two less surrounds.

I was thinking in-walls because I have smaller kids and I didn't want them messing with them. I know some of these in-walls allow for some sort of aiming, but I don't know how well that works in practice. Maybe I'd be ok with wall mounted speakers and I just explain to them to keep their hands off

Completely open to different speaker setups, and this room is a new construction so I have a decent amount of control of where things will end up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7375 Post(s)
Liked: 6452
Good 5.2.4 layout will be better than a shoe horned 7.2.4 layout.

If you can find in-wall & in-ceiling speakers with drivers that can be aimed towards the listeners or even ones that already have a tilted baffle, that would be helpful because speakers typically sound better on-axis (pointing towards you). With smaller kids around, stick to in-walls.

Keep in mind that the main variable is your sectional sofa, which will work better with your room oriented wider than longer. IF the sofa had a more typical width (7' or so), I would be recommending the opposite orientation.

Sanjay
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I think we're fairly set on the sectional sofa as we want this space to be very social and multi-purpose. But I think we can still get a nice 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 in there without too much trouble.

Has anyone used the SVS prime elevation speakers for either rears or overhead atmos speakers? Seems like the angled design could help direct the sound to the seating position depending on where you place them. I was thinking they could also be used as left and right fronts also but place them a bit higher to keep them out of harms way.

I'm really open to considering different options because right now I have a somewhat blank canvas to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page