Ceiling darkening solution - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-22-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ceiling darkening solution

I have been doing some active googling, and haven't really come up with anything which I find odd. It would seem like a common thing. I could also be possibly dumb, and not searching the correct terminology.

I have a theatre setup in my basement, and unfortunately it's not a dedicated space. I have painted my front wall black as black can be and it works awesome. I should also state my basement is a walkout, so I have a wall of windows on one side. The left and right walls are easy enough to put up some black velvet drapes to cover. However my ceiling is still white.

Has anyone every installed a motorized rail system on the ceiling to extend like an 8' by 10' piece of velvet? My intention was to have something that could be temporary for movies/shows, but then you could retract it during the rest of the time. I was thinking of maybe just one of those motorizes drape kits, and then maybe have a second rail as a tracker that will just guide the opposite end as it pulls back.

Can someone help? If there is already another thread on this exact scenario, and you could point me to it. That would be awesome as well!

Thank you everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-22-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleviking View Post
I have been doing some active googling, and haven't really come up with anything which I find odd. It would seem like a common thing. I could also be possibly dumb, and not searching the correct terminology.

I have a theatre setup in my basement, and unfortunately it's not a dedicated space. I have painted my front wall black as black can be and it works awesome. I should also state my basement is a walkout, so I have a wall of windows on one side. The left and right walls are easy enough to put up some black velvet drapes to cover. However my ceiling is still white.

Has anyone every installed a motorized rail system on the ceiling to extend like an 8' by 10' piece of velvet? My intention was to have something that could be temporary for movies/shows, but then you could retract it during the rest of the time. I was thinking of maybe just one of those motorizes drape kits, and then maybe have a second rail as a tracker that will just guide the opposite end as it pulls back.

Can someone help? If there is already another thread on this exact scenario, and you could point me to it. That would be awesome as well!

Thank you everyone!
Check out this post as well as the thread in general:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58749388

And this post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post55371802
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page