Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-24-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Needing Living Room Ideas

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just bought our first house. Unfortunately, the living room isn't a great setup for surround sound or media hookups. We want to keep a clean look in the living room without a bunch of cables running all over. Looking for some ideas and inspiration on what I can do. I have attached 2 photos of the living room.

I currently have a 55" TV that I will hang above the fireplace and I would like to hook up my Xbox One X. I will put an Apple TV behind the tv as well.
My current sound system is the Samsung Dolby Atmos system, with the 2 wireless rears. I currently have them on stands that aren't going to fly with my wife and also I don't want to run power strips to the middle of the floor to power them.
I am willing to look at new sound system recommendations as well.

(Photos are the current occupant's things, not ours)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	living room 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	2645280  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-24-2019, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If you don't mind just a simple front three L/C/R surround you can do three angled in ceiling speakers above the TV. At the moment I chose to do that but put them on the wall instead of the ceiling because I liked the angle better. You can run a small 3 channel amp that will do Dolby so you have at least a typical front LCR setup. Add in a wireless sub you can hide (if that's possible) just about anywhere. To the left of the side sofa would work if you keep that sort of configuration.

Right now I fit the amp, tivo mini, wireless sub transmitter, and surge protector behind the TV.

You can leave the speaker grills white or paint them the actual white of the walls if you want it blend even better.

Here's the amp:
https://hometheaterreview.com/phase-...-35-amplifier/

If you follow on ebay you can find them used much cheaper. I was also using an Episode Mini amp that does matrix processing for the front three. Same basic premise, but the Phase Tech is a little nicer. Both easily fill the open living room/dining room area that's about 14 x 24. I have a cheap 10" Velodybe wireless sub, but you can always just get a wireless transmitter/receiver and whatever sub you prefer.

Will definitely sound better than the Samsung Soundbar.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 11-24-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Not sure how you can put the XB1X there without loose wiring. The Apple TV can fit on a mount on the back of the TV such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/TotalMount-Ap...48401887&psc=1

What kind of budget do you have for new audio equipment? I'd look at the Nakamichi 7.2 with wireless subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thank you both for the ideas. I will have to look at those ideas once we move in next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page