"Modifying" theater chairs for new space - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dbpaddler

post #1 of 5 Old 11-26-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
"Modifying" theater chairs for new space

Has anyone a clue if it's possible, and please provide guidance, to modify a leather theater chair with a wedge arm into a straight arm?

I have a set of 4 curved leather seats. I'm moving them to a smaller width room, and if the wedge arms were straight, everything would fit into the new space - though barely.

I'm looking for help and resources to temporarily remove the leather, cut the wedge frame straight, and then reapply the leather minus excess.

Is this more trouble then it's worth?!?!

Would I be better off selling the 4 and getting a straight set.

Last edited by jordancferry; 11-26-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-26-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Don't they just unbolt from one another? Flip them over and see if they are completely modular. If so, then you should be able to separate out the angled inserts and reassemble as a straight sofa.

I thought most of those systems were completely modular.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Don't they just unbolt from one another? Flip them over and see if they are completely modular. If so, then you should be able to separate out the angled inserts and reassemble as a straight sofa.

I thought most of those systems were completely modular.

Hello,

They are modular, I can separate each chair from the other, do you know of any online resources I could use to learn how to take apart leather on the arm, cut it to be straight to fit a newly straightened arm, and reupholster it without paying a pro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Sounds like something I'd wing and spend about twice as much time doing as I planned.

Would think you just get the dimensions of the divider and take the width from the narrowest point. Could just forget measuring the width and make frames with 2x4's or 2x2's. Cut plywood to the appropriate dimensions and attach. Hit up Joanne's fabrics and match up the material as best as possible. Grab some upholstery foam from them as well. Cut the foam to fit the top for the arms, stretch the fabric over and staple. The tricky part I would think is making sure they're even at the top and the transition from top to front is clean.

Line up the bolt pattern from the original wedges, drill new holes and bolt together.

Do you know who made them? You could contact them and see if they have straight dividers to just swap in.

barryecohen likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Sounds like something I'd wing and spend about twice as much time doing as I planned.

Would think you just get the dimensions of the divider and take the width from the narrowest point. Could just forget measuring the width and make frames with 2x4's or 2x2's. Cut plywood to the appropriate dimensions and attach. Hit up Joanne's fabrics and match up the material as best as possible. Grab some upholstery foam from them as well. Cut the foam to fit the top for the arms, stretch the fabric over and staple. The tricky part I would think is making sure they're even at the top and the transition from top to front is clean.

Line up the bolt pattern from the original wedges, drill new holes and bolt together.

Do you know who made them? You could contact them and see if they have straight dividers to just swap in.

So, I reread what you wrote, and you are absolutely correct! The arms fully unbolt and are themselves wrapped already and don't require reupholstery!!

I might take some photos to document the process. They are 4 curved berkline leather power recliners I got for $400.

I'll convert 4 into 3 and take photos.

Thank you again, I wasn't thinking that they would build the arms and bolt them onto the standard bodies in order to stamp them out faster. Brilliant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page