Replace or repair Panasonic projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Replace or repair Panasonic projector?

I have a Panasonic PT-AE3000U which lasted 9 years on the same bulb. The bulb and fan need to be replaced. Is it worth the cost?

I have a pretty large (29x18) dedicated theater. Onkyo 5.1 receiver (also 10 years old), 9' diag screen, AV123 Rocket speaker system (don't ask), twin Outlaw Ultra-X12 subs (newer).

Should I just repair the projector or replace it and the Onkyo? We watch cable and movies. No gaming. We spend maybe 10 hours/month in the theater. The projector is 13' from the screen.

If replace, let's work with a $3,000 budget for the projector and receiver. Will the current 40' HDMI cable need to be replaced?
Suggestions on replacements are really needed as I've been out of this arena for some time.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	823.9 KB
ID:	2647754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	822.2 KB
ID:	2647756  

Last edited by PopDisplay; 11-30-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 08:39 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Well I'd recommend replacement. Even if the Panny was a PT-AE8000 I'd still suggest the same.

Get yourself a Epson 5050 for under $2700 at the current sale price. E-Shift 4K, outrageously better Contrast and brightness. No contest nor contesting there at all.

If you do...consider going with a 2.39:1 Format screen with the same height as that 9' -16:9 ( 54") The 5050 will light it up and you can move comfortably into a C.I.H. situation without making any structural changes. You have a very nice Theater...it certainly deserves the upgraded image and Formatting.

7 Channel Onkyo's can be had on Amazon for really advantageous prices...and while I'll not ask the obvious about the rest of the speakers, I gotta ask"Why in the 'ell do you have those incredible Outlaw Ultras x-12's matched up with those "who cannot be asked about" speakers?* They are "Da Bomb!"

(ps. the Top end "Rockets" were not bad...just way over priced...)

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Well I'd recommend replacement. Even if the Panny was a PT-AE8000 I'd still suggest the same.

Get yourself a Epson 5050 for under $2700 at the current sale price. E-Shift 4K, outrageously better Contrast and brightness. No contest nor contesting there at all.

If you do...consider going with a 2.39:1 Format screen with the same height as that 9' -16:9 ( 54") The 5050 will light it up and you can move comfortably into a C.I.H. situation without making any structural changes. You have a very nice Theater...it certainly deserves the upgraded image and Formatting.

7 Channel Onkyo's can be had on Amazon for really advantageous prices...and while I'll not ask the obvious about the rest of the speakers, I gotta ask"Why in the 'ell do you have those incredible Outlaw Ultras x-12's matched up with those "who cannot be asked about" speakers?* They are "Da Bomb!"

(ps. the Top end "Rockets" were not bad...just way over priced...)
We bought the house because, in part, the basement was tricked out. Card room, billiard room, bar, theater, etc.
The theater was as shown in the photos. Except- no electronics. Just the room, cabinets, riser, and carpeting.
Not shown in the photos is the "cabling room" which runs the entire width of the theater, behind the screen wall.

I bought the speaker system because I was younger, inexperienced, and they were attractive and had a pretty good reputation among the AV123 cult (no surprise).
That they were very reasonably priced was also a factor.
And then I started assembling the theater components.
Panny PJ
Onkyo 5.1
Oppo DVD
Control 4 remote for the AV and illumination
Acoustic panels

I had an AV123 sub. When that fizzled out I bought the 2 Outlaws.

Aside from the sub, the system has performed well to my novice ears and eyes. Considering that we use the theater for at most 10 hours per month, there needs to be a balance between money in and enjoyment out.

Finances and perhaps necessity allow/require an upgrade-

As far as the Epson, am I wrong to see the white housing as an eyesore? It just seems logical that the housing should be black- to blend in with the support pole and ceiling.

Last edited by PopDisplay; 12-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopDisplay View Post

As far as the Epson, am I wrong to see the white housing as an eyesore? It just seems logical that the housing should be black- to blend in with the support pole and ceiling.

In the world of Projectors, far more have White or Grey casings than have Black. But it can be something a style conscious individual my take umbrage with.

Epson has a model # 6050ub that has a Black Housing, however it is labeled as a "Pro" model and cost significantly more. It does however come with extras....a additional Lamp as well as a Custom Projector Mount.

As far as the unit being a eyesore....I've seen few complaints along that line. Mostly owning to the Pj's considerable Lens Shift and the ability to mount it so closeto the Ceiling.

Doing so in such a manner usually results in very few visitors even noticing it's presence. Of course YOU will always see it, so judge accordingly.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
In the world of Projectors, far more have White or Grey casings than have Black. But it can be something a style conscious individual my take umbrage with.

Epson has a model # 6050ub that has a Black Housing, however it is labeled as a "Pro" model and cost significantly more. It does however come with extras....a additional Lamp as well as a Custom Projector Mount.

As far as the unit being a eyesore....I've seen few complaints along that line. Mostly owning to the Pj's considerable Lens Shift and the ability to mount it so closeto the Ceiling.

Doing so in such a manner usually results in very few visitors even noticing it's presence. Of course YOU will always see it, so judge accordingly.
He speaks my language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page