Thoughts on my floorplan? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-01-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thoughts on my floorplan?

I have an unfinished basement, and before spending 50K on finishing the basement, I wanted to just work on home theater first (mainly because I don't have 50K to finish the entire basement). I have all my equipment including the receiver, speaker projector, etc..
My current plan looks like the picture below.
Do you think there's any way to make it better? I was thinking of the space next to the stairs, but I was worried about sound, and I thought it would be too short.
Would love to get your thoughts.

Also, considering there's no wall, should I be concerned about sound? both for soundproof and sound quality perspective?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baselment.png
Views:	29
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2648148  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 931
I gather there are support posts and even HVAC that has you arriving at this layout?

A symmetrical side wall would improve the audio, as would enclosing a space and having a smaller volume then the entire basement.

A wider room would be another improvement, if that is possible.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I gather there are support posts and even HVAC that has you arriving at this layout?

A symmetrical side wall would improve the audio, as would enclosing a space and having a smaller volume then the entire basement.

A wider room would be another improvement, if that is possible.

Thanks for the feedback, I can move it to the area next to the stairs, which would give me abit more width with cost of length. And you're completely correct about the support poles, the black circular one are the iron post that I cannot move.

How much of width is required/recomended??

As far as the wall, my wife really wants to keep it open concept, not really sure what I can do there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would grab 13' of width if I could, and it didn't impact negatively on plans for outside the theater foot print.

Does the Mrs understand the noise blend of that new action flick she isn't interested in seeing with you? Are you going to be happy listening to that new action flick and
have her ask you multiple times to turn it down? Ae you going to be happy with a second remodel, when she pulls a 180 on you a decides sound proof is now a good idea?

Cold you encase columns in columns and go slightly wider, and can you go longer?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-02-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would the Mrs put her blessings on something like this?

That back and front wall both could have some flex in where they are located. This is basically my own formula for a small seat count dedicated
space, where one needn't break the bank to construct, and even be able to develop some building skills, to take forward into the rest of the basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chinmokutak basement jpg1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	2648528  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Would the Mrs put her blessings on something like this?

That back and front wall both could have some flex in where they are located. This is basically my own formula for a small seat count dedicated
space, where one needn't break the bank to construct, and even be able to develop some building skills, to take forward into the rest of the basement.

thank you for your idea!
mrs, is fine with asking me to turn it down, and she does not expect to have to ask second time. apparently she's already compromising ALOT for accepting my home theater need
I love the idea of wider room, except the metal column would be right by the edge of the screen....
with that it has given me a couple of thoughts, what are your thoughts on sliding doors? something like the picture below? I'm thinking this is the way to keep the open concept, if I can figure out how to isolate sound.

Also, what's PJ loft? is it for the projector? if so, I don't really need it as I have UST

Last edited by chinmokutak; 12-03-2019 at 12:51 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The pj loft is simply for hosting the projector, in a manner it's physically outside the room. You eliminate the projector noise from a viewing space.
But that is out, as you have a UST pj.

You will never have sound isolation with sliding doors, but at least you would gain a reflective side wall, which would improve on the audio. The upside to
sound isolation is you get a low noise floor in the theater, while not leaking noise. Most people have a hard time putting a true value on that, as most people
never have any seat time in such a room. Another upside is you get more out of any level of gear, with such a space.

There are many ways to hide a column, up near a screen.

That is actually a really nice looking room. But it certainly isn't built for performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page