Living room receiver/speaker setup question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Living room receiver/speaker setup question

Hi folks,

I brought "Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Channel Surround Sound System" for our living room and I am thinking which is the best Sony receiver compatible with it among these two - "STRDH790 - Sony - 7.2-Ch. with Dolby Atmos 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black" or "STRDN1080 - Sony - 1155W 7.2-Ch. with Dolby Atmos 4K Ultra HD HDR Compatible A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black". Also, in my media room, I have "Yamaha RX-A2080 9.2 channel" receiver. Some folks are saying I do not need another receiver for my living room. Is that true? if not, can someone please suggest which Sony receiver would be better? I would want to go with STRDH790 as it's the cheaper one and supports 7.2 as well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Nomula View Post
Hi folks,

I brought "Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 Channel Surround Sound System" for our living room and I am thinking which is the best Sony receiver compatible with it among these two - "STRDH790 - Sony - 7.2-Ch. with Dolby Atmos 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black" or "STRDN1080 - Sony - 1155W 7.2-Ch. with Dolby Atmos 4K Ultra HD HDR Compatible A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black". Also, in my media room, I have "Yamaha RX-A2080 9.2 channel" receiver. Some folks are saying I do not need another receiver for my living room. Is that true? if not, can someone please suggest which Sony receiver would be better? I would want to go with STRDH790 as it's the cheaper one and supports 7.2 as well.

Thanks
If you are using the Yamaha in your media room to drive a compliment of speakers (5.1, 7.2 ...) then you certainly need another receiver to drive another 5.1 configuration in your living room. Your friends may have thought you merely wanted to have the Yamaha driving a zone 2 with a pair of speakers...

Anyway, between the two the DN1080 is by far a superior receiver. CNET gave it a glowing review. The DH790 is really entry level...it doesn't even accept banana plugs except for the front speakers (spring clips in 2019...sheesh...)

Curious why you would want Sony when you are familiar with the Yamaha UI? Are you limited by your location?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
If you are using the Yamaha in your media room to drive a compliment of speakers (5.1, 7.2 ...) then you certainly need another receiver to drive another 5.1 configuration in your living room. Your friends may have thought you merely wanted to have the Yamaha driving a zone 2 with a pair of speakers...

Anyway, between the two the DN1080 is by far a superior receiver. CNET gave it a glowing review. The DH790 is really entry level...it doesn't even accept banana plugs except for the front speakers (spring clips in 2019...sheesh...)

Curious why you would want Sony when you are familiar with the Yamaha UI? Are you limited by your location?
Thanks for ur response. I am really a newbie with all of this and found a good deal ($150 off) for DN1080 and a friend suggested it as good so brought it. Costco however has "Yamaha TSR-7850 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver" for around the same price though. Do you think that is better than Sony DN1080?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Nomula View Post
Thanks for ur response. I am really a newbie with all of this and found a good deal ($150 off) for DN1080 and a friend suggested it as good so brought it. Costco however has "Yamaha TSR-7850 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver" for around the same price though. Do you think that is better than Sony DN1080?
I am seeing the TSR-7850 at a great price on the Costco site. If you like the Yamaha in your media room I would be all over that deal. Some folks feel that Yamaha's room correction YPAO is inferior to Audyssey (Denon and Marantz...) but I have an A760 and it seems to do a fine job of equalizing my room. The 7850 actually has a more sophisticated version of YPAO than mine, and as a bonus it has preouts for the front left and right channels so you can add external amplification down the road if you so desire. So, to sum up, I would recommend you go for the Yamaha.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
I am seeing the TSR-7850 at a great price on the Costco site. If you like the Yamaha in your media room I would be all over that deal. Some folks feel that Yamaha's room correction YPAO is inferior to Audyssey (Denon and Marantz...) but I have an A760 and it seems to do a fine job of equalizing my room. The 7850 actually has a more sophisticated version of YPAO than mine, and as a bonus it has preouts for the front left and right channels so you can add external amplification down the road if you so desire. So, to sum up, I would recommend you go for the Yamaha.
Thank you.. considering oredring the yamaha now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
5.1 , Klipsch , receiver , Sony , speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page