Epson 5040UB vs. Samsung QN82Q80R 82'' QLED - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-05-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
hwb

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Epson 5040UB vs. Samsung QN82Q80R 82'' QLED

Epson 5040UB or Samsung QN82Q80R 82'' QLED ...and why?

I’m in the early planning stages of converting a 11.5’ x 17.5’ room with a 10.5’ ceiling height into an Atmos Theater.

My first decision is what will I watch the video on. Sources include a Mac Mini based Plex media server, Netflix, HBO Go and Dish TV satellite.
Content is mixed; from movies to live sports to TV series.

That has me wondering for viewing if I should go with the 82” QN82Q80R Samsung QLED or the Epson 5040UB projected on a STR-169100 Silver Ticket 100” diagonal screen. The cost difference is not a lot although the projection/screen combo is less expensive.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I'd go with the projector if you want a more immersive effect. A TV is fine for a family room but a real theater or media room a projector is generally better.

The one exception might be if you do the majority of your viewing with bright lights on.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #3 of 4 Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
personally, i find it hard to recommend LED's, so i'll just assume that if you're considering one, that you are not as bothered by the uniformity issues as i am.

with that out of the way, there's only two reasons (i can justify) to get a projector
1) to go bigger. and 100" will be a substantial improvement over 82". but i still think 100" is under-utilizing a projector. with those room dimensions, i'd start at 120" and consider bigger
2) to use an AT screen. there is a real advantage, both in audio quality and in aesthetics, to putting your speakers behind the screen

both of those are HUGE things if you're going to use them. but if not, it's kind of hard to justify choosing a projector over a flat panel.

a standard flat panel will be vastly superior if there is any kind of ambient light, or even a decent amount of reflected light. i wouldn't personally bother to qualify it as 'bright', if you watch with ANY lights on, the image quality of the projector will not be as good as a flat panel. it may still be very watchable, depending on the content, but short of some very careful planning and/or expensive ALR screens, turning on a reading light in the room can be the difference between world class plasma blacks, and discount bin lcd 'dark greys'. The ANSI contrast ratio on my JVC drops in half if my cell phone screen shines towards the front of the room(seriously, from around 200:1 to below 100:1)

don't get me wrong. i love the experience with a projector, and i don't think any flat panel on the market can touch what a projector is capable of. but it's about picking the right tool for the job, and if you don't plan to watch a huge image in a dark room, it may not be the right choice.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-08-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
hwb

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
...but it's about picking the right tool for the job

Totally agree with that comment.

As I do more research other issues pop up. The idea of hiding speakers behind a projection screen appeals to me; until I read a comment that says the L & R speakers belong outside the screen edges to match how soundtracks are mixed. i.e. When a conversation or a door knock is off screen the sound should come from off screen.

Taking that into account I thought OK center speaker would be "in wall" behind the screen and then since the plan is a 5.1.4 Atmos layout; the front L & R (as well as rears) would be Atmos enabled mini towers...like this system here:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/monoprice-monolith-thx-365t-514-speaker-system-review

Now I could also go with all "in wall" speakers as Monoprice has a full line of THX "in walls" that match the towers and book shelf speakers. This would allow for a slightly wider screen with the L&R either behind the screen (if I can get past the comment above) or just outside the screen but near the walls (another supposed no no). Once it's all "in walls" then 4 "in ceiling" speakers would be needed for the Atmos effect.

Of course the larger the screen the more it effects the overall observed screen brightness.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page