Help - New build home theatre/Games room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help Opinion Needed - New build home theatre/Games room

Hello Everyone

-----------------------------
Update house is coming together lol foundation in place move in July 2020

Goal is to have a system for another 10 yrs, Current system was 1080p with 5.1 and it is about 12yrs old

Tv Option 1 - LG C9 65'(CX didnt really have anything amazing worth getting a deal) - Price hoping for $1500-2000, was as low as $2499(black friday/boxing week) so hoping as it is discontinued get a good deal
Tv Option 2 - Vizio Oled, just a little worried this is their first oled - Price around the same maybe a little higher at 2000-2500
Projector (will need suggestions)

Audio - want at least 7.1 with atmos
Audio Option 1 - Nakamichi 9.2.4 issues is USA only I have found locals selling and I have family in states so might not be that hard - Price $1600 if local, closer to $2000 if I buy through USA Amazon
Audio Option 2 - Build another system from scratch worried about cost and wires

------------------------------

Building a new home from scratch looking to make a Home Theatre / Games Room finally, Looking for advice on what to buy and setup

Room is 17.5x21 with one smaller window that I might blackout lol

Here is my basement plans will not be move in ready till summer 2020 so have time to get deals and layout right, in Rec room I was thinking about positioning everything on my lower right wall and putting my couch around the dotted line area and having a actual games table around top left

Current Setup
Tv
2008 Panasonic Plasma 46"
Mid tier PC (i7 with 1050ti)
PS4
Switch
Audio
5.1 with Polk audio(2008)
Sony 7.1 Receiver(2008)

Upgrades before move in(or waiting till black friday 2020)
Want to get a LG C9 or C10 65"(up for other suggestions)
Upgrade PC(RTX)
PS5(christmas 2020)

Audio?
Better to buy a new receiver and more speakers to get Atmos setup or buy something like this https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockw...92-dolby-atmos

or buy new package and sell current setup?

I am canadian so we cant get Nakamichi but have family in the USA that I could go get it

Use would be main living room for Streaming(Netflix, Disney, Amazon), Gaming and movies. (I dont ever game over 4hrs currently without having breaks so should be ok for burn in etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement.png
Views:	106
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	2652134  

Last edited by christonian; 02-26-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-21-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Why a small 65" upgrade when you could do a 120" acoustically transparent screen?

Reuse the Polks, and maybe upgrade the receiver to get new functions?

Access to the utility room could be via the office, and the existing utility door could simply become access to the space behind the
acoustically transparent screen and screen wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Basement.png
Views:	74
Size:	519.9 KB
ID:	2657246  

Last edited by Tedd; 12-21-2019 at 08:41 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-22-2019, 05:39 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Why does every newcomer get assaulted with the "Acoustic Screen" concept immediately out of the gate....? Even before any other option or considerations are explored? The AT option isn't ever ignored.....but it has it's place as a option, not a prerequisite. Much like suggesting that everyone...I mean everyone... utilize Wall & Ceiling decoupling and go with DIYSG Speakers. It seems that it all gets grouped together in almost every new Thread....even here in GHT&M/GR

(...I will however admit, having such ready made easy access to the rear of a AT screen would temp any one of us to consider such...)

Better to ask first ask @christonian if he wants a full blown Theater approach, (...doubtful with a Game Table at the rear...) and what type of budget restraints he's under....if any.

Now yeah...I'm almost (almost) as guilty advocating Painted Screen Walls as much as I do....but they are far more doable across a much wider scope of wannabe Theater owners, and don't come with the hindrance of nearly as much added cost, build effort, lower gain, and wasted space.

@christonian could easily sneak a great 2500 to 3000 lumen 4K LCD or DLP projector and a any-size & Format Free ALR painted Screen Wall for the same or even less cost than the picayune 65" LG-OLED . OLED-like imagery is quite the reality if the Screen and PJ are properly mated. And any FPS or Driving / Tank Game deserves a big 'ol image with fast response time.

What with the room being intended for TV/Movies/Gaming, a more balanced approach should be taken at the start, and if excitement and willingness builds, then Hell yeah! Have at it!

1st and foremost, design and build in every inch of height you can in that room.

2nd...absolutely a new *Receiver is called for.

A 5.1.2 set-up should suffice*, and putting a Bar / comfortable Stools at the rear of the Seating facing forward is more desirable than the eventually coming seating suggestions. (2Rows) @christonian has the required space to do so. * An affordable 9 channel Receiver w/2nd Powered Zone capability would serve to help distribute sound to the Game Table area.

Some DefTech Ceiling Side Surrounds (fully enclosed models) and a couple KEF Q's for Atmos would be great, and minimize sound transfer if just 2 simple layers of Drywall are placed on the Ceiling. (...any Basement in Canada already has sufficiently insulated Walls...) Of course those speakers would out class the Polks, but the Fronts & Center can be easily upgraded later after the Room is finished and the remaining budget over viewed.

Of course a great way to help the "Movie: experience without painting out the entire room in Dungeon-like colors would be to "Shadow Box" out the recessed area where the Screen will go in a very dark Neutral Grey (Walls & Ceiling)...and the rest of the room's surfaces with a lighter Grey (Ceiling included) Lighting can be effectively chosen and placed to compliment the activity at each end..

One sore point is the Stairwell leading up to the 1st Floor. It will be / is a sound tube / tunnel so a bottom Landing w/Solid Door would be highly advisable.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-22-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 985
It's not a prerequisite, it's simply an option that most guys getting into this, usually don't even have on their radar. It also might be a game
changer for the utility door location, as it looks to be early enough to simply have that entry moved to the office, and free up the wall for a
painted screen, if that's the direction the OP wants to take.

Also, an AT screen can be done rather well and rather affordably. And there's nice WAF that might allow one to host some less then spousal
friendly speakers that don't end up on display. It's also an option that would allow for the simplest future speaker upgrades. And an AT screen
an work well, outside of a dedicated home theater. Pocoloco's room is a nice example of that.

The guy just bought a new house, I would expect all kinds of budget constraints. Although the Nakamichi comment suggests there is some cash
leeway.

DIYSound is a great option, if one can do some DIY and it pairs up well with a AT screen. Pretty killer budget yield right there. One could leverage
the simplest of flat black finishes for the speakers up front, and host large subs and still retain WAF.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AVS'er Pocoloco's room.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2657314   Click image for larger version

Name:	more trendy.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	2657316  
post #5 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Budget around $5,000 Canadian for tv and audio upgrade

Just didn’t think projector was doable on the budget

If it is I am open to that
post #6 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

@Tedd the second would very close in design and layout

I could even put the electronics in the storage room for cleaner look

Can I get deep blacks or colours like oled from projector, I haven’t had a personal projector in about a decade or more so don’t know how much tech has progressed
post #7 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Is this for use with the lights on or lights off? You can get an absolutely beautiful picture with a projector (even a fairly inexpensive one) with the lights off, but with the lights on the picture will often look washed out and you won't get the blacks that you are used to on your Plasma.

If you turn the lights off and can control the light in the room, I think a projector should be strongly considered. If you plan on using this with the lights on, I think you might be happier with a large TV.

I don't know much about Nakamichi's offerings but Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo will all have good options that you can find good deals on. Are you planning on a 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos system?

Is the room already finished or will you be running wires? If you are running wires, I suggest running wires for as many speakers as you think you might ever need - I'd say a 7.1.4 system. It's easy and inexpensive to do prior to drywall.

What kid of Polk setup do you have? Speakers have a long lifespan so they should be fine if you are happy with the performance.

If you go the TV route, I would go bigger than a 65" in that room if you can swing it.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #8 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah 65 to 77 or 82 is almost double in price basically 4999

This would also be daily use for gaming, Netflix and movies

I am fine with no light my wife likes a little bit of light to not damage our eyes
post #9 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

For speakers I would like to get 7.1.4 system or higher currently have 5.1 system but no atmos

Just don’t if worth buying a high end sound bar system or expand on current speakers and get a new receiver

I am hoping for 2500-3000 for tv(lg c9/10)projector(4K) and 2000 for new audio but can always rebalance if get a deal
post #10 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for multiple posts but on mobile and can’t figure out how to edit above post

Daily use would be at least 3-5hrs a day

But only one window there should be able to kept dark

Yes I like the idea of multi tear seating

Yes a back game table for card and board games
post #11 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Another option might be an Ultra Short Throw projector - I really don't know enough about them to advise you on them, but from what I read they might be good for usage like yours. A projector will have more lag for gaming if you are a FPS guy or play competitively. I'm not up on what the best projectors are for gaming, but I'm guessing a single Chip DLP like the BenQ 3550 or 2500 might work out well for what you need which is something with low lag and high light output. Newer single chip DLP's aren't known for great contrast but it may be worth it for the increased screen size.

I really think you'd find a 65" too small in a room that size, especially if you're thinking about two rows of seating. I have a 64" plasma in my living room and it's OK for casual viewing, but definitely isn't immersive like the 144" screen in our theater room.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #12 of 16 Old 12-24-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Another option might be an Ultra Short Throw projector - I really don't know enough about them to advise you on them, but from what I read they might be good for usage like yours. A projector will have more lag for gaming if you are a FPS guy or play competitively. I'm not up on what the best projectors are for gaming, but I'm guessing a single Chip DLP like the BenQ 3550 or 2500 might work out well for what you need which is something with low lag and high light output. Newer single chip DLP's aren't known for great contrast but it may be worth it for the increased screen size.

I really think you'd find a 65" too small in a room that size, especially if you're thinking about two rows of seating. I have a 64" plasma in my living room and it's OK for casual viewing, but definitely isn't immersive like the 144" screen in our theater room.
Yes but that is because you have a 144 to compare too so going from 46 to 65 should be double the screen size and would impress us but I will look into projectors as I never thought I could afford it, I don’t play competive so no worries but faster response time would be best and with c9 now you can gsync and has low latency
post #13 of 16 Old 01-03-2020, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

@Mocs123 @Tedd @MississippiMan

Thanks for all the help everyone

Back in front of a PC so should be better to communicate

It is a new build so almost anything is possible

budget would want to keep under $5000 max canadian for upgrade in audio and video if possible

Open to Tv or Projector

Open to soundbar system or back to full wired system
post #14 of 16 Old 02-26-2020, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Goal is to have a system for another 10 yrs, Current system was 1080p with 5.1 and it is about 12yrs old

Tv Option 1 - LG C9 65'(CX didnt really have anything amazing worth getting a deal) - Price hoping for $1500-2000, was as low as $2499(black friday/boxing week) so hoping as it is discontinued get a good deal
Tv Option 2 - Vizio Oled, just a little worried this is their first oled - Price around the same maybe a little higher at 2000-2500
Projector (will need suggestions)

Audio - want at least 7.1 with atmos
Audio Option 1 - Nakamichi 9.2.4 issues is USA only I have found locals selling and I have family in states so might not be that hard - Price $1600 if local, closer to $2000 if I buy through USA Amazon
Audio Option 2 - Build another system from scratch worried about cost and wires
post #15 of 16 Old 02-26-2020, 11:45 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by christonian View Post

Well I have strong feelings about anyone who states he wants a system to be valid for 10 years and then states he's looking at a 65" TV?

Dooda Man.....do you realize that LG now has a terrific 86" LED TV with tremendous Black Levels for under $1900.00? (Amazon) And if you considering Gaming...none of the risk of OLED Screen Burn-In. Also...OLED technology might be superior in Black rendition and Contrast, but it sucks lemons as far as being actually as "bright as" top tier LEDs or even close to being as worthy of Gaming performance, and perhaps most importantly, product dependability.

Try hard to get past all the "OLED-Hype" and make a practical decision you can not only live with, but be proud to have stumbled upon.

BTW...JVC has cut the price on it's new 3K Lumen Laser PJ to well under $3K (from the right source) so really....you could splash on a 110" immage onto a Painted wall and be far Far ahead of the game...iffin' ya wanna be...........

Quote:
\Audio - want at least 7.1 with atmos
Audio Option 1 - Nakamichi 9.2.4 issues is USA only I have found locals selling and I have family in states so might not be that hard - Price $1600 if local, closer to $2000 if I buy through

Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4 Ch can be had everyday on Amazon for less than $1300...so 'ell yeh! Purchase and ship to US based Family. TV too!

Do yer'self proud!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #16 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Well I have strong feelings about anyone who states he wants a system to be valid for 10 years and then states he's looking at a 65" TV?

Dooda Man.....do you realize that LG now has a terrific 86" LED TV with tremendous Black Levels for under $1900.00? (Amazon) And if you considering Gaming...none of the risk of OLED Screen Burn-In. Also...OLED technology might be superior in Black rendition and Contrast, but it sucks lemons as far as being actually as "bright as" top tier LEDs or even close to being as worthy of Gaming performance, and perhaps most importantly, product dependability.

Try hard to get past all the "OLED-Hype" and make a practical decision you can not only live with, but be proud to have stumbled upon.

BTW...JVC has cut the price on it's new 3K Lumen Laser PJ to well under $3K (from the right source) so really....you could splash on a 110" immage onto a Painted wall and be far Far ahead of the game...iffin' ya wanna be...........

Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4 Ch can be had everyday on Amazon for less than $1300...so 'ell yeh! Purchase and ship to US based Family. TV too!

Do yer'self proud!
@MississippiMan Yeah those prices are all converted to Canadian, $1300 US is 1750 Cad then get hit for customs for 300-400, so about $2000 thats why I budgeted that way

For Oled just looking for best picture and low input lag, isnt a projector slow? Also worried about blub expiring eventually?

For Burn-in watch this

I play multiple games during the week and not usually more then 3-4hrs at a time as I am old and dont have the time lol

I am interested in the 86" I will look into it as bigger is always better but again I am only coming from a 46"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
atmos , c10 , Home Theater , lg c9 oled , nakamichi 9.2.4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page