5.1 or 7.1 surround system - 17.5 X 13.3 Media Room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mocs123

post #1 of 26 Old 12-22-2019, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
5.1 or 7.1 surround system - 17.5 X 13.3 Media Room

For a new house that i am building, it will have a media room upstairs. This will be exclusively just for media room, there is no bar or anything else. This is my first time trying to set a media room. Would appreciate if someone can please help me answer the following questions:

i) For room size 17.5 X 13.3 should i get 5.1 or 7 .1 audio set up? I plan to put couches all the way back to the wall.

ii) I want all my devices ( media receiver/hub, dvd player etc to be out of sight). In the media room in itself there is not much space meaning there isn't anything i want to put it in the front because i think it won't look good. I am thinking may be have like a media cabinet outside the room somewhere? Any ideas i would highly appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 179
If you are building a media room, I would suggest that you go ahead and pre-wire for more speakers than you think you will need. You can always A.) leave the speaker cable behind the drywall (just make sure you document where in the wall it is for use down the road) or B.) run it into a box and put a blank plate cover over it. Are you not doing Atmos speakers? I would pre-wire for them at least.

To answer your question though, I would add Atmos channels before I added the two back surrounds of a 7.1 channel system, especially if your seating is going to be up against the back wall.

It is best practice to have your equipment out of the room when possible. If you do this, I would be sure to run a conduit to your projector or TV from the A/V cabinet for future use, as you may need to add a new cable a couple of years down the road. An example of this is in my first theater, I ran S-Video and Component Video from my remote A/V rack to my TV. DVI came out not long after that and then HDMI, since I didn't put a conduit in, I had to cut and patch drywall to install a new cable. In my second theater, I added a conduit!

One other thing to note is if your HDMI run is over 25 feet you may need a fiber optic HDMI cable, which isn't cheap. 4K/60 doesn't do well in poor quality HDMI cables, especially at longer lengths. That being said, at 25 and under a high quality but inexpensive Monoprice Certified HDMI cable works fine.

Why don't you post a sketch of your proposed layout and goals to get some more ideas?

Acoustical Treatments?
Soundproofing Requirements?
TV/Movies/Games?

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #3 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 2882
^+1 to pre-wiring for more speakers and subs. With "couches all the way back to the wall", it's quite possible that running a single sub will mean nulls at more than one seating position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 7542 Post(s)
Liked: 6709
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0619212 View Post
For room size 17.5 X 13.3 should i get 5.1 or 7 .1 audio set up? I plan to put couches all the way back to the wall.
5.1 with a single pair of Surrounds in the back corners of the room, aimed towards the listeners. Cannot do an effective 7.1 set-up because there will be no space behind you for the Rear speakers.

Sanjay
post #5 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
With "couches all the way back to the wall", it's quite possible that running a single sub will mean nulls at more than one seating position.
True, though there should be fewer nulls than sitting away from the back wall. Room modes always peak at room boundaries, so all the length modes will be peaking at OP's seating position at the back wall. Room correction can EQ those peaks down, since it will be the same peaks at all seats .

Width modes (43Hz, 85Hz, 127Hz, 170Hz, etc) will have peaks & nulls across the width of the seating, which means different listeners will experience bass very differently. But the OP can cancel the first 3 width modes (and all the peaks & nulls created by those modes) simply by placing a pair of subs at the ¼ and ¾ points of room width.

So another vote for using more than one sub.

Sanjay
post #6 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
^+1 to pre-wiring for more speakers and subs. With "couches all the way back to the wall", it's quite possible that running a single sub will mean nulls at more than one seating position.
Wow. This is all good advice. I am a complete newbie to AV set up. Did quick search on Atmos , looks like that is a new Dolby system type speakers. I will probably go with Dolby Atmos speakers. Attached is architecture layout of upstairs. Few things that i know:

i) There is going to be proper connectivity for projector, this room is going to be true media room.

ii)There will not be any windows. I plan to have blue color paint. Did some research , looks like for media room dark blue is the way to go?

iii) There will be only 2 lights one on each Scones.

Wish list:

i) Would like to place all the equipment outside of the room. I am not sure where to put it though. I am open for any suggestions based on the plan that i have. I also have no idea if the equipment is outside the room how do i control using a remote? I would like to have a single remote to control all the devices.

ii) I am thinking projector will just have one video input and the devices will be connected through receiver. My input's would be NAS, firetv stick , may be gaming console, blue ray DVD player, USB drive.

Questions:

i) What will be ideal place to place the speakers. Ceiling or on the side walls?

ii) Should i get recess can lights? May be with dimmer? Can i wire this so that dimms when playing movie .

iii) Should i get 5.1 or 7.1?

I really appreciate you taking time and responding. THANK YOU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	2657814  
post #7 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Dumb question , are you recommending to use 5 speakers mounted ceiling or wall and 2 subwoofers on ground. Is that considered 5.2?

At some point if i decide to get rid of couch and put in proper media recliners would this setting still make sense?
post #8 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Any dark color for the walls should work. Choose a dark ceiling color too if possible.

You should be able to place all the equipment outside the room. Would you be able to place it in the room with the “optional desk”? You could put it in the upper left hand corner of that room, especially if you went to a single entry door rather than a double door.

Yes, you would run all of your sources to an A/V receiver, and have one HDMI out going to your projector.

You can go to the Dolby site to get the correct speaker placement, but you generally them at ear height while seated viewing a movie (except the Atmos speakers which are mounted in the ceiling.

Recessed can lights seem to be the most popular choice in theaters.

5.1 or 7.1 depends. What sort of seating are you planning? How many rows, number of seats?

What are the dimensions of the room? It looks like roughly 20’-10”x 13’-5”?

What is the void space on the end of the theater? Could that be used for speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen?

Is this new construction? If so is this above the garage?

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #9 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

I should add, you can control all of your equipment outside the room via a Harmony Elite remote with Hub. Harmony also works with some dimmers so you can program it to dim your lights when you start a movie.

post #10 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. Dumb question , are you recommending to use 5 speakers mounted ceiling or wall and 2 subwoofers on ground. Is that considered 5.2?

At some point if i decide to get rid of couch and put in proper media recliners would this setting still make sense?

Yes, that would be 5.2. I would recommend 5 or 7 speakers wall mounted, with 4 in ceiling Atmos speakers for either a 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 setup. The first number is the number of main speakers, the second number is number of subwoofers, and the last number is the number of Atmos speakers.

post #11 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Any dark color for the walls should work. Choose a dark ceiling color too if possible.

You should be able to place all the equipment outside the room. Would you be able to place it in the room with the “optional desk”? You could put it in the upper left hand corner of that room, especially if you went to a single entry door rather than a double door.

Yes, you would run all of your sources to an A/V receiver, and have one HDMI out going to your projector.

You can go to the Dolby site to get the correct speaker placement, but you generally them at ear height while seated viewing a movie (except the Atmos speakers which are mounted in the ceiling.

Recessed can lights seem to be the most popular choice in theaters.

5.1 or 7.1 depends. What sort of seating are you planning? How many rows, number of seats?

What are the dimensions of the room? It looks like roughly 20’-10”x 13’-5”?

What is the void space on the end of the theater? Could that be used for speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen?

Is this new construction? If so is this above the garage?
Placing equipment in "optional desk" sounds like good idea. Do you have any thoughts on which cabinet with good ventilation would be good? I plan to use fire tv, dvd player, NAS , receiver..thats probably it.

Point noted on can lights.

For now it will just be l shaped couch with 2 adults and 2 kids. I may get rid of that couch and put some proper media recliners at some point, may be 1 year after moving in.

Room dimensions are 17.5 X 13.3

Sound like Atmos speakers are the way to go for good quality sound. Do i put all 5 to ceiling? Not sure what that void space . Are you thinking to place speakers behind screen?

This is new construction, HT will be above guest bedroom.
post #12 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

What about something like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Theater draft 12.23.png
Views:	61
Size:	839.5 KB
ID:	2657844  

post #13 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is awesome. Let me know if i got this correctly.

3 regular speakers mounted on the wall behind the screen.

2 subwoofers on the floor in front of the screen.

4 atmos speakers ( 2 in center and 2 in the back ) on ceiling.

4 surround speakers ( 2 in the center mounted to side wall and 2 in the back by the projector)

7.2.4 configuration?

Thank you.
post #14 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
What will be ideal place to place the speakers. Ceiling or on the side walls?
Left/Centre/Right speakers go on the front wall. Surround speakers go on the side and/or back walls. Height speakers go on the ceiling.

The whole point of Atmos is to separate sounds around you from sounds above you. Can't get that separation if you put all your speakers in/on the ceiling.
Quote:
Should i get 5.1 or 7.1?
IF your seating is at the back wall, then do 5.1 (no space behind you for the rear speakers). If your seating is a few feet away from the back wall, then do 7.1 (you'll get good side-vs-rear separation in the surround field).

Sanjay
post #15 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is awesome. Let me know if i got this correctly.

3 regular speakers mounted on the wall behind the screen.

2 subwoofers on the floor in front of the screen.

4 atmos speakers ( 2 in center and 2 in the back ) on ceiling.

4 surround speakers ( 2 in the center mounted to side wall and 2 in the back by the projector)

7.2.4 configuration?

Thank you.
Since you are only using one row, I would modify things a bit. I am assuming that you can use some of the space in that void area to put speakers/subs behind an acoustically transparent screen, using a technique that utilizes a false wall called the minimalist screen wall. There is a master thread on that technique in the dedicated theater section of the forum. I've attached a picture below that isn't of my theater, but one I happened to save on my hard drive as I was researching my build. This technique give a clean look with no visible speakers or subs up front and it also allows the sound to come from the screen rather than from below it and from the sides as you would have to do if using a non acoustically transparent screen.

I would go with a 7.2.4 setup if you plan on your seating area being away from the rear wall and a 5.2.4 setup if your seating area is against the rear wall (which isn't preferred acoustically, but sometimes you have to make compromises).

For your surround speakers I would either use in-walls or narrow bookshelf speakers built into columns so you can hide them. You want them ear level when you are sitting down so maybe 36-48" from the floor. Atmos speakers I would go in ceiling speakers. You can certainly have surround speakers on stands or even use floor standing speakers for surrounds, but neither look very good aesthetically.

I'd start out with L/C/R speakers and a couple of subs mounted behind an acoustically transparent screen if possible. Two surround speakers, one on each side roughly 90* from your seating (in my first drawing I had a set of surrounds for each row, but with only one row, that isn't needed), a pair of rear surrounds behind the seating, and four Atmos speakers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	theater draft2 12.23.png
Views:	52
Size:	821.8 KB
ID:	2657866   Click image for larger version

Name:	449baffb4fb1b1a9e90afa873596a9d3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	2657868  

post #16 of 26 Old 12-23-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Since you are only using one row, I would modify things a bit. I am assuming that you can use some of the space in that void area to put speakers/subs behind an acoustically transparent screen, using a technique that utilizes a false wall called the minimalist screen wall. There is a master thread on that technique in the dedicated theater section of the forum. I've attached a picture below that isn't of my theater, but one I happened to save on my hard drive as I was researching my build. This technique give a clean look with no visible speakers or subs up front and it also allows the sound to come from the screen rather than from below it and from the sides as you would have to do if using a non acoustically transparent screen.

I would go with a 7.2.4 setup if you plan on your seating area being away from the rear wall and a 5.2.4 setup if your seating area is against the rear wall (which isn't preferred acoustically, but sometimes you have to make compromises).

For your surround speakers I would either use in-walls or narrow bookshelf speakers built into columns so you can hide them. You want them ear level when you are sitting down so maybe 36-48" from the floor. Atmos speakers I would go in ceiling speakers. You can certainly have surround speakers on stands or even use floor standing speakers for surrounds, but neither look very good aesthetically.

I'd start out with L/C/R speakers and a couple of subs mounted behind an acoustically transparent screen if possible. Two surround speakers, one on each side roughly 90* from your seating (in my first drawing I had a set of surrounds for each row, but with only one row, that isn't needed), a pair of rear surrounds behind the seating, and four Atmos speakers.
Very interesting. Regarding 'minimalist screen wall', i looked at the picture you sent not sure if those speakers are behind the sheet rock or behind the projector screen. I am guessing there is going to be a projector screen that will basically cover the full wall and then have speakers behind them? I will take a look at the thread you mentioned. Thank you
post #17 of 26 Old 02-01-2020, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Very interesting. Regarding 'minimalist screen wall', i looked at the picture you sent not sure if those speakers are behind the sheet rock or behind the projector screen. I am guessing there is going to be a projector screen that will basically cover the full wall and then have speakers behind them? I will take a look at the thread you mentioned. Thank you
Thanks every one for the response. Below is what i think i will be doing based on your recommendation:

Have the wiring done for 7.1.2 ( 3 speakers front wall, 2 on side center pillars and 2 on back wall , 1 center speaker front wall, 2 ceiling speaker in the back) . I plan to put all 7 surround one's to be wired at 36 inches above the ground level. Since my couch will be touching the back wall for now initially i will do a 5.1.2 set up and later if i get proper recliners i can probably do 7.1.2. I will have the the 1 sub-woofer at ground level in front.

Questions please:

i) Does my above plan sound reasonable?

ii) Is one sub woofer be enough? Should be on right or left?

iii) I am not able to decide shall i ask the builder to cut holes in the wall for the speakers or should i get book shelf speakers and mount them? Sounds like for 2 Atmos speaker i will to have them cut holes.

Guys i am trying to have better quality sound ( upgrade from my sound bar ) without making it too expensive ( $1500 for speakers and receiver). I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks
post #18 of 26 Old 02-02-2020, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Some good advice has already been given, nice to see how it's being incorporated into your plan. At this stage of the build you should add the wiring for two front atmos speakers as well. Have you determined where your rack will be placed as all wiring with terminate there? It doesn't look like the sloped ceiling will interfere with the plans but do you know how narrow the 10' portion gets at the back of the room? Are you still planning to place couch on back wall or pulled forward as in Mocs123's rendering (Post 15) which represents what you should be striving for. Coming from a sound bar this will be a big improvement and you'll likely find one sub is enough, although again you could always wire for future upgrades. Wait until the room is complete and do the speaker install yourself , just make sure you know where the wires are located. Do you have any leanings towards your speakers / receivers choices?
post #19 of 26 Old 02-04-2020, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughorgy View Post
Some good advice has already been given, nice to see how it's being incorporated into your plan. At this stage of the build you should add the wiring for two front atmos speakers as well. Have you determined where your rack will be placed as all wiring with terminate there? It doesn't look like the sloped ceiling will interfere with the plans but do you know how narrow the 10' portion gets at the back of the room? Are you still planning to place couch on back wall or pulled forward as in Mocs123's rendering (Post 15) which represents what you should be striving for. Coming from a sound bar this will be a big improvement and you'll likely find one sub is enough, although again you could always wire for future upgrades. Wait until the room is complete and do the speaker install yourself , just make sure you know where the wires are located. Do you have any leanings towards your speakers / receivers choices?

Thanks for the reply.

i) I am debating, the room isn't that big as i thought ( ~ 18 feet), i am little concerned that if i move the couches couple feet front i might be too close to the screen. I am leaning more towards 5 set up . I would like to hear from others what they think.

ii) I will probably do a 5.2.2, don't know if i need additional 2 atmos in front since the room is really not that big. Also there is drop in ceiling in the back, the back atmos speakers will be about 2 feet away from the way since the drop is little for atmos speakers.

iii) I actually purchased this receiver from Costco. I can always return it i would like to.Looks like this one should be about to do 5.2.2

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-TSR-78.../dp/B07QQ6Q7KF

iv) Looks like getting in-wall speakers are more aesthetic. Can you please help me with some screens. Ideally i would like screen to cover the entire front wall. I did take a look at some AT screens, they look very pricy.Can you please share few links if possible for reasonable screen with speakers behind them.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-04-2020, 02:57 PM

What screen size are you considering, that will help to determine seating distances and perhaps some recommendation. Your desire to fill the wall with screen would require something in the neighborhood of 170" 16:9. Not only will you find those screen expensive but the added costs of a capable projector. If you are doing an AT screen I'd consider three matching tower speakers across the front and in wall / ceiling from the same manufacturer / line. Lots to choice there as well , depending on budget. I'm using speakers from Elac Debut 2.0 line in a 5.1.2 atmos set up. Have you taken any pics during construction , be great to see them if you have......
post #21 of 26 Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What screen size are you considering, that will help to determine seating distances and perhaps some recommendation. Your desire to fill the wall with screen would require something in the neighborhood of 170" 16:9. Not only will you find those screen expensive but the added costs of a capable projector. If you are doing an AT screen I'd consider three matching tower speakers across the front and in wall / ceiling from the same manufacturer / line. Lots to choice there as well , depending on budget. I'm using speakers from Elac Debut 2.0 line in a 5.1.2 atmos set up. Have you taken any pics during construction , be great to see them if you have......
Elac Debut 2.0 line looks reasonable, thanks for the info. I was really hoping to have the speakers mounted in the wall , i thought with AT screen you can have speakers behind the wall. DO u have any recommendations for AT screens, reasonable?
post #22 of 26 Old 02-05-2020, 05:35 AM

I'd suggest that in wall speakers are generally chosen over traditional speakers primarily for aesthetics. As your's will not be seen behind an AT screen I'd think that is less of a concern. If you have space constraints behind the screen then yes in wall speakers are a great solution for that. As for screen recommendations you'll find your best advise from members within the Screens thread but again knowing the size of screen you are considering is a good place to start.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-07-2020, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd suggest that in wall speakers are generally chosen over traditional speakers primarily for aesthetics. As your's will not be seen behind an AT screen I'd think that is less of a concern. If you have space constraints behind the screen then yes in wall speakers are a great solution for that. As for screen recommendations you'll find your best advise from members within the Screens thread but again knowing the size of screen you are considering is a good place to start.
I think i have made my mind. I will go with 5.2.4 setup and may be have it pre-wired for 7.2.4. Sounds like i should be getting 2 sub woofers and 4 atmos speakers.

The diagonal measurement of the wall is around 186 inches ( 13'.4" W and 8' Height of the wall). I need some space for the LCR speakers for my in-wall setup , i am thinking shave 2' from width and height so that would be around 144 inches ( 11.4 and 6 ).

Does that make sense?
post #24 of 26 Old 02-07-2020, 05:50 PM

I know that the amount of information can be a little overwhelming , especially when you're first getting into this hobby. In order for a 5.2.4 setup you'll require a total of 9 channels of amplification. Your new AVR only has 7 channels unless you're planning an upgrade. You'll also find that most commercially available screens will be offered in standard sizes say 135" or 150" . It'll be more economical to stick with a standard size. That being said there is still some confusion regarding speaker placement. You do not require 2' of space for your LCR as they will go behind the AT screen, that is after all the point of having an AT screen.
post #25 of 26 Old 02-07-2020, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

From what i have seen so far AT screen is pretty expensive, i haven't really looked at DIY types. My thought was i will put may be 135" screen and then speakers on sides mounter to the wall.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 04:52 AM

Thanks for clarifying. I know you'd been considering the AT screen but that makes more sense. I think with 135" screen you may now be able to pull your seating into the room. THX recommends a seating distance of 13.5'. Do a little experiment , use green painters tape to mock up a screen (66'x117") at home and see how it feels at that distance. That will also improve the effectiveness of you plan for a 5.2.4 atmos setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page