Wall mounting TV to concrete wall? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rabbit73
  • 1 Post By Ryan Statz

post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2020, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Wall mounting TV to concrete wall?

First, I hope this is the right forum (I did search, but couldn't find one that was specific to set up like in the audio section) - mods, please move to the appropriate section if this is not in the right place (and my apologies if it isn't).

There's the slight possibility that I will be moving my entire Home Audio set up into a different room. Right now, I have my TV (Sony XBR55X900E) wall mounted, and I would like to do that again, but the issue I'm facing is that the only viable wall in the other space is drywall with concrete behind. I'm a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I'm looking for the easiest, cleanest, most neighbour-friendly way (I live in an apartment-turned-condo building from the 70's) to wall mount the TV onto this wall. The other possible SNAFU is its a shared wall with the unit next to us, hence why I would like it to be neighbour-friendly. I get that I can use self-tapping concrete screws, but if there's a way to be able to do it without using a hammer drill (or drilling any holes), I'm all ears.

Option B, I suppose, would be to get a new TV unit that has some kind of float mount, but I sort of prefer the cleaner look of mounting directly onto the wall. It's not out of the question if mounting to concrete is too much of a pain in the butt.

Thanks in advance for all of your tips/advice.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
.....the issue I'm facing is that the only viable wall in the other space is drywall with concrete behind.
Is the drywall fastened directly to the concrete, or are there wooden studs between the drywall and the concrete?
smcmillan2 likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Is the drywall fastened directly to the concrete, or are there wooden studs between the drywall and the concrete?

Rarely is drywall fastened directly to concrete, more likely you have studs with the drywall over them, plus if a shared wall on a decently constructed apartment there will be some sort of insulation to act as sound deadening.

If no insulation you might want to explore some type of blown-in product to add a bit of sound deadening. You did say you were trying to be a polite neighbor.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I'm not sure, to be honest. Driving a nail doesn't go very deep before hitting solid wall. I have knocked along the wall, and it does sound like it's hollower at some points, and not at all in others as one would expect, but even if I drive a nail into the hollower-sounding section, it only goes about 1/2 - 5/8" before hitting something solid. Same with the less hollow sections. There are outlets, and a light switch along the wall, so there must be something else behind the drywall, but no idea since you basically hit something solid no matter where I drive a nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Rarely is drywall fastened directly to concrete, more likely you have studs with the drywall over them, plus if a shared wall on a decently constructed apartment there will be some sort of insulation to act as sound deadening.

If no insulation you might want to explore some type of blown-in product to add a bit of sound deadening. You did say you were trying to be a polite neighbor.
I've never encountered any gaps when driving a nail into the wall to hang a painting/framed artwork, but as mentioned above, there are hollower-sounding sections like you'd expect when I tap along the wall. I'm confused that the nails don't really go any deeper in those hollower-sounding sections.

I'm not concerned with sound dampening as we never hear anything coming from the other units, and most times you don't even know they're listening to anything unless you walk out into the hallway outside of the units. Plus my listening levels aren't high enough for it to be a problem. -32dB on the MV is about the loudest I go, and I probably wouldn't be much further away in the other space as I am right now - it's more the annoyance of having to drill into concrete, even if it's for a short period of time.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #5 of 11 Old 01-03-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 1891
Quote:
- it's more the annoyance of having to drill into concrete, even if it's for a short period of time.

I'd imagine though that you could coordinate this with your neighbor (assuming you're on good terms). Find a good time that works for the both of you to make a bit of noise!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-2020, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I'd imagine though that you could coordinate this with your neighbor (assuming you're on good terms). Find a good time that works for the both of you to make a bit of noise!
Haven't even met the neighbour, actually. I, frankly, never even know when any of them are home. I figure as long as it's during the day, there's nothing anyone can really say since it's well within any noise bylaws, etc... I'm considering going the floor-standing TV mount tucked behind the TV stand instead, and avoiding drilling any holes altogether route. It might be the simpler option.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-04-2020, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 729
@Ryan Statz How big is the tv stand you have now? If you skip the wall mounting, a pedestal stand like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works great. Has a small footprint, and with the tv lowered, is nearly invisible.

Last edited by MRAYB; 01-04-2020 at 04:04 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2020, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm considering going the floor-standing TV mount tucked behind the TV stand instead, and avoiding drilling any holes altogether route. It might be the simpler option.

That's a very good option if you can find the right stand. You lose a few inches, but that wall would then never need to be repaired should you change things up again, and you'd just have a bit easier access to things. Always a silver lining...

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #9 of 11 Old 01-04-2020, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
@Ryan Statz How big is the tv stand you have now? If you skip the wall mounting, a pedestal stand like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works great. Has a small footprint, and with the tv lowered, is nearly invisible.
Quote:
That's a very good option if you can find the right stand. You lose a few inches, but that wall would then never need to be repaired should you change things up again, and you'd just have a bit easier access to things. Always a silver lining...
Unfortunately, I can't really put the TV on top of the cabinet since my centre channel speaker is 24" wide x 14" deep, which takes up a significant amount of real estate.

I actually decided to go with a floor-standing float mount: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I think the benefits of this outweighs the cleaner wall mounting in terms of flexibility/mobility. I couldn't find a nice enough TV stand with one that was integrated, so this is the next best option. If I'm feeling adventurous, I could maybe give the post on it a light sanding, and roll on some of the left over wall paint to camouflage it a little more if there's too much of it exposed to my liking (or, because I work in an art supply store that sells spray paint available in close to 300 colours, try to find a spray colour that closely matches). The only problem I foresee is if the floor isn't level, and I have to fuss around with that.

Thanks for your input - I think we can call this one closed.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-05-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input - I think we can call this one closed.

Excellent! Do report back the final outcome!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #11 of 11 Old 01-05-2020, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Excellent! Do report back the final outcome!
I'll post a photo or two if I remember to do that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page