Finishing basement; please critique my theater floor plan - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-2020, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Finishing basement; please critique my theater floor plan

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm finally getting around to finishing my basement. I've always wanted to have a nice theater/rec room area. Unfortunately it's proven to be a difficult space to plan given the placement of the stairway and utilities. Here are some basic details relevant to this thread:

Primary users
Myself (single guy, soon to be age 40) and my friends. Also I expect my oldest daughter and her friends (high school age) to make use of it.

Key contraints
Ceiling height. Unfinished concrete floor to bottom of joists is 93". Finished ceiling height to be <=90" nominally, and <=80" locally where soffits are required.

Must haves
Large projection screen (110"+, likely 2.40:1 with side masking for other aspect ratios)
Atmos sound (thinking 7.2.4)
Reasonable sound isolation measures (thinking isolation clips and DDGG in theater area at minimum)
At least one row of power reclining theater seats with supplemental seating at a bar row behind
Small snack bar area with drink cooler and sink at minimum
3/4 bath

Nice to haves
Usable stage area in front of projection screen (think "open mic night" setup)
AR screen (as sketched)
Pool table
Space for poker table (only setup during games)

Ideally I'd have a large enough space to accommodate a pool table and theater area, but I haven't been able to come up with anything that works given the "U" shape of the usable space. Attached is a sketch of what I've come up with so far, which abandons the pool table in favor of a dedicated theater area (approx. 13' wide x 20.5' long, ~7.5' finished ceiling), isolated from the single outdoor window. The remaining rec room area was designed to be easily convertible into a bedroom by a future owner. I expect I may use if for poker nights and will probably look to install a handful of TVs around the room, sports bar-style.

Any advice or constructive criticism to offer? I've been in touch with a couple of contractors and want them to quote based on something that's reasonably representative of what I go with. Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68168334-basement-first_floor-baseline-20200103062241.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2663154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-09-2020, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am assuming the wall dividing the theater and rec room is not currently there. In that case I would prefer to leave the space open. For parties it would be more fun to have the big game on the main screen and folks playing pool/ping pong, darts, maybe even a mame machine or pin in the corner. I may be in the minority though on this site.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-10-2020, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
If you are wanting the hole open concept to entertain friends and family I agree with @Matthew Mills . Turn the theater 90 degrees and put the screen on the far bottom wall. Your eyes to screen for a 110" 16:9 screen or a 134" 2.40:1 screen. Now if you sent with a 120" 2.40:1 screen that would give you a screen 110.77"X46.15" and a 94" 16:9 screen would fit inside of it. Your eyes would be 8.6' from screen to eyes. That would give you room for the sofa, second row bar with stools, pool table and a back bar. You could put in a half wall next to the theater where you have your bar. You could make that a game area another bar area to watch the screen.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page