1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickTheGreat

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2020, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Family Room Advice Needed

Hi everyone, I really appreciate everyone’s advice on an issue I’m struggling with. You can see our family room set up in the picture below. The way the room is set up, there’s no other option for a TV aside from above the fireplace. You can see, we have an ENORMOUS fireplace. It’s quite beautiful, but clearly not optimal for TV placement.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading our very old LG LCD. It’s a 55 inch model form around 2012. I but if I just swapped this out for a new 4K set, I’d be pretty happy. I’m thinking of Samsung Q80r for it’s anti-reflective properties. This TV is on a lot as we usually have either the news or cartoons on during the day (all day) and watch family shows at night. We even watch a movie from time to time, although really serious watching happens in our media room with a front projector on a 110” screen.

With that said, I’d love to go to a 65 inch...but as you can see, it would be tight. I measured, and I could get the 65 inch Q80r in there, but the TV would be almost touching the ceiling and the sound bar would be right on the mantel.

Ok, another consideration, I’m also considering sticking with the 55 inch and getting one of the mantel mounts so we could pull the TV down during more serious watching (movies, shows we care about, etc.). No way I could fit a larger TV if we go that route as there has to be room at the bottom for the mount handle.

Finally, all of my equipment is in the cabinet to the right of the TV. Including AVR and other devices. I even have a subwoofer in one of the cabinets. Believe it or not, it all actually works and sounds quite nice. I have surrounds in the ceiling behind the sofa area. So, I really would sort of like to stay with the current sound setup I have (AVR, passive LCR sound bar (Paradigm), wired subwoofer (concealed), and in-ceiling surrounds).

Ok, I know that’s a lot, but if you were me, what would you do? Simply upgrade to a modern (and bright) LCD like the Q80r, or go all out and try to find a way to upgrade to a 65 inch?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	097BBAC0-E2AE-4710-B2F1-91763CD140AF.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2664120   Click image for larger version

Name:	6FAB054E-31BD-4B4B-A281-2A7ABC48800F.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	2664122  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2020, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Bump to the top - should I have posted this elsewhere? Thanks again for looking!
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I have a big bodacious fireplace in our family room with our "main" tv above it. I could technically get a 55" up there, but then there wouldn't be room for decorations So I stick with that size. My long term plans are to lower the mantle when (or if) we redo the fireplace. Unlike yours, mine is old and ugly.

Until that point, I go downstairs to my 110" projector screen for serious watching (sporting events, movies, etc). The TV upstairs is fine for news and kid cartoons.

Maybe I'm lazy (I am), but in your case, I'd be okay with the 55-incher and leave well enough alone, since you have the media room. I've never liked the idea of the drop-down mounts, but that's just me.
pkinneb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-2020, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I have a big bodacious fireplace in our family room with our "main" tv above it. I could technically get a 55" up there, but then there wouldn't be room for decorations So I stick with that size. My long term plans are to lower the mantle when (or if) we redo the fireplace. Unlike yours, mine is old and ugly.

Until that point, I go downstairs to my 110" projector screen for serious watching (sporting events, movies, etc). The TV upstairs is fine for news and kid cartoons.

Maybe I'm lazy (I am), but in your case, I'd be okay with the 55-incher and leave well enough alone, since you have the media room. I've never liked the idea of the drop-down mounts, but that's just me.
Thank you for the advice! I tend to agree - it would be the most cost effective and simple route. Then the question becomes, given it's a big, multi-use room with cartoons and news running almost non-stop, should I even invest in a new 55 inch (with 4k, etc.) I have upgraditis so I might not be able to resist the urge to do something, even if it's update to a modern set.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2020, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Oh I'm not going to talk you out of a new TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page