Point of no return - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-04-2020, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Point of no return

I put one layer of rockwool in the joists and it made a world of difference (considering - upstairs has vinyl/laminate planks with unknown underpayment). Laundry, utility, bath, etc rooms in the basement were previously finished and you can hear everything upstairs - or Vice versa I can hear the washer directly above it on the next floor - I’ve haven’t, or cannot (with out tearing down existing drywall) put up rockwool there - although I fully intend to buy plenty more rockwool.

I’ve was off all week trying to make serious progress on this project and couldn’t find any ‘z’ resilient channeling in stock - but a menards has just enough double channel in stock so I bought what they had.

Rockwool made a huge difference. I’ve read two layers are best but between the cost and the fact that majority of joist cavities are filled with utilities and it was a struggle enough to fit in layer I opted against the dusl layer.

Hung double channel (not optimal, I know) and I didn’t see much difference with vibration transfers so overall disappointed with the extra work of installing but again I understand patience and the correct product may have provided a better result.

Then I hung 5/8 drywall doing my best to avoid screwing in to joists and keeping gaps along the edges.

Pictures show I have yet to drywall the metal framed wall but after testing this out tonight with a tower and two PSW505’s - I was sadly disappointed with both the sound/vibration transfer and the subs. A fewww beers involved but I plan to post my 505’s for sale tomorrow and am contiplating adding another layer of 5/8’s but I’m not sure that it will make much of a difference.

I play to lay actual 3/4 hardwood upstairs at some point - 1-2 yrs - but I’m not sure this will do much for vibration/transmission. I put this in a previous house and it sure made everything feel more solid but I don’t see it making anything much more ‘quiet’.

I also considered dropping the ceiling to match the ‘soffit’ so I’d have rockwool, channel, 5/8 drywall, 1” or 2” air gap, more rockwool, and then another 5/8 to make it all even.

So after my quick test with progress thus far I noted the can lights rattling like snakes - to be expected as I have temp bulbs in each one and will replace with retro leds - and very loud transmission through the floor.

I haven’t caulked any seems yet but I also do not see this making any dramatic difference. This is a ‘general media room’ but I’m trying to take the best from the dedicated builds and apply it here to maximize my efforts.

I’m going to use the DAP Dynaflex Ultra for any voids/seams, and again I understand this will not act as green glue (altering states of energy) but I cannot see spending +$200 for 10 tubes of caulk.

I apologize for the lengthy post but I’m at that point where I either roll with what I’ve got or make one last ditch effort upon someone’s (hopefully) similar experience.

Going to try to post some pictures to add some detail.

ANY thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page