Multiple Tv's using one cable box? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Aberk

post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Multiple Tv's using one cable box?

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this. But my question is: I want to have 3 tvs in my man cave. Is there a way that I can avoid paying for 3 cable boxes? My cable is verizon fios. It would be great to be able to have this setup without paying for 3 boxes but just 1 box. any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Would an HDMI Splitter work in this case? Have one cable box and an HDMI Splitter for 3 tvs. would the quality be distorted? also would I be able to tune each tv to its own channel?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I would suggest an HDMI Switch rather than a spliter. You would only be able to watch one channel at a time just like you do on a single TV, but the image would display on all the TVs. The switch lets you have more than one input and watch any imput on any tv.. so a 4x4 switch (what I have) let me hook up my cable box, roku, blue ray player and Kodi media pi and then use any of them on one or all of the display devices which are livingroom tv, kitchen tv or living room projector. Very handy.. I can watch the roku in the living room and wife can watch the cable box in the kitchen, or we can both watch the cable box at the same time. No there is no loss of quality at all. Check out MonoPrice.com

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I could have 1 tv hooked up to a cable box. TV #2 would be a smart TV where I can access thru the browser Fios TV and TV #3 I could use Apple tv to stream ESPN sites. This would keep me from having to pay Verizon for the use of 3 cable boxes. but at same time I can watch 3 different tvs. this would be mainly for watching sports on these tvs in my man cave
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
I would suggest an HDMI Switch rather than a spliter. You would only be able to watch one channel at a time just like you do on a single TV, but the image would display on all the TVs. The switch lets you have more than one input and watch any imput on any tv.. so a 4x4 switch (what I have) let me hook up my cable box, roku, blue ray player and Kodi media pi and then use any of them on one or all of the display devices which are livingroom tv, kitchen tv or living room projector. Very handy.. I can watch the roku in the living room and wife can watch the cable box in the kitchen, or we can both watch the cable box at the same time. No there is no loss of quality at all. Check out MonoPrice.com
I think you're referring to an HDMI matrix. A switch will allow multiple inputs in to a single output, but multiple inputs to multiple outputs is a matrix.
tonybradley and pkinneb like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-07-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 139
HDHomeRun

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms