Cooling equipment in standard cabinets - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2020, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cooling equipment in standard cabinets

When we built our house, we left a 110" area in our family room for built ins. I ran the first floor in ceiling speaker lines to that area, as well as the family room 5 speakers and TV/HDMI connections. Today, I have an amp, AVR, Tivo and Xbox in that area. It's time to start finishing that area. The goal is to put in 3 36" base cabinets, with full height doors, and non sliding shelves. The concern is that it might be hot inside of a normal cabinet. I got suggestions to change the door style to use a radiator style metal mesh, in place of glass. I started getting quotes for cabinets built this way, and need to order a cabinet with doors prepped for glass instead of solid wood nearly doubles the price of the cabinets. (Seems like I can't not buy glass) This starts to drive the budget outside of the comfort zone. Does anyone have an suggestions on how I can manage heat inside of a standard cabinet? I can modify the cabinets as needed to add airflow. The Tivo remote works via RF, so a solid door won't cause a issues controlling things 99% of the time. Anything else I should think about?

Example of base cabinets with wire mesh for AV equipment. (Desktop browser only)
http://www.garyvermaat.com/homes-for...#lg=1&slide=21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrizzzz View Post
When we built our house, we left a 110" area in our family room for built ins. I ran the first floor in ceiling speaker lines to that area, as well as the family room 5 speakers and TV/HDMI connections. Today, I have an amp, AVR, Tivo and Xbox in that area. It's time to start finishing that area. The goal is to put in 3 36" base cabinets, with full height doors, and non sliding shelves. The concern is that it might be hot inside of a normal cabinet. I got suggestions to change the door style to use a radiator style metal mesh, in place of glass. I started getting quotes for cabinets built this way, and need to order a cabinet with doors prepped for glass instead of solid wood nearly doubles the price of the cabinets. (Seems like I can't not buy glass) This starts to drive the budget outside of the comfort zone. Does anyone have an suggestions on how I can manage heat inside of a standard cabinet? I can modify the cabinets as needed to add airflow. The Tivo remote works via RF, so a solid door won't cause a issues controlling things 99% of the time. Anything else I should think about?

Example of base cabinets with wire mesh for AV equipment. (Desktop browser only)
http://www.garyvermaat.com/homes-for...#lg=1&slide=21
Personally I don't think mesh will be enough. In our master bedroom we have the equipment in a armoire I built, even with the doors open and holes for circulation in the back the cable box will occasionally overheat.

In the office built ins I have computers in cabinets with bottom vents and fans/vents on top, pulling the air out, never had an issue.

I would definitely consider integrating something that will pull the air out of that cabinet. Really should not be an expensive proposition as fans are cheep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5591.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2667500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5592.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	2667502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5593.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	2667504  

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2020, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have any suggestions on where/how to hide the vents/holes? There's likely 2" in the toe kick that I can use to pull air from down low, but I still need to exhaust out the top. It was under consideration to hide the toe kick with trim, which might block airflow. The top will likely be some sort of granite or marble. If I went with the metal mesh, it would be trivial to add some small fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7476 Post(s)
Liked: 9052
Quote:
Have any suggestions on where/how to hide the vents/holes? There's likely 2" in the toe kick that I can use to pull air from down low, but I still need to exhaust out the top. It was under consideration to hide the toe kick with trim, which might block airflow. The top will likely be some sort of granite or marble. If I went with the metal mesh, it would be trivial to add some small fans.
You might add something like a T10 to blow out the front grills -

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...nt-exhaust-17/

https://www.acinfinity.com/
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Any chance you could share some pics of what we are working with? Are you a DIY person or will you be hiring it out?

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2020, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need to see pics of your cabinets. But here's a whole series of products that could work. https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-cabinet-fans/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page