Ceiling Paint - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-10-2020, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ceiling Paint

Hi, I am still working on my setup, but I would like to know if my ceiling paint is okay like shown in picture. I would really hate to paint the whole ceiling, as I find it unattractive. Not so sure I like it like this either, but I can live with it like this. I am just wondering if this would work to reduce reflection, or did I just waste my time. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackceiling.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	2667622  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2020, 05:32 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4005 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Well...it's a little late in the game to make color and/or pattern suggestions. But you did ask.

Wasted your time? That's a bit harsh. Overkill in one direction? Absolutely.

The Triangle extends about 2x as deep into the room as it needs to. You would have benefited more from a wider Base over the Screen Wall...perhaps a layout starting at each corner that extended out perhaps 6' at most toward Ceiling Center, encompassing the 1st 2 rows of Cans. Painting out the Screen wall around the Screen does nothing to improve the Screen's performance or how the Screen's light affects it, but it does help blend and compliment the surrounding darker areas. It is more a cosmetic consideration than anything else.

Design-wise,angular geometric designs on a Ceiling are best complimented with similar corresponding vertical(diagonal) intersecting lines on the Side Walls. The Ceiling area being the most important (...you nailed that...) so the coverage on Side Walls that are as far away as yours can extend a minimal distance.

Doing as large as painted Wall Screens as I normally do, mostly I can convince a Owner of the merits of at least painting out the Ceiling in a mid-toned Grey, and the side walls in a slightly lighter shade of the same Grey. Anything but White. White requires that one either accept the deleterious effects it creates, or measures like the illustration below must be considered.

Actually, many find the geometric "look" pleasing, and the encapsulation of the Screen area wholly appropriate. Your extended Triangle seems to represent more of a design meant to mimic the dispersion cone of light emanating from the PJ's Lens. I don't dispute that it drastically affects the aesthetic of the room in general.

But....and however........T'is better than nuthin'. I would chop off the depth by 50% though, and widen the outside corners. You can at least do that with a minimum of fuss and bother.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflection Suppresion.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	2667966  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 01-11-2020 at 05:39 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2020, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks MM.
I am planning on painting the walls a darker gray, not sure if I will change the ceiling, but I will consider it. I do have another question for you though. You were very helpful in the screen painting forum. I was going to take your recommendation and paint my screen with Silverfire 2.5 6.0. After getting my 103" Flexiwhite screen material stretched over the frame, I was going to start collecting the paints. Well, of course I had to see how it worked as is, and I have to say it looks great.

I have no problem with ambient light as it's in the basement. Unless it improves the quality of the picture tremendously, I think I will stay with this screen. So, i guess I want to know how much difference it would make in a light controlled environment. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page