Very small home theater setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very small home theater setup

Good afternoon to all. Hope your new year is off to a good start. I am a long time reader of this forum and now thankfully am in a position to setup my own little home theater. Please let me know if I have omitted any pertinent info that would be helpful to you to help me better. So here are some basics:

10x11x9 room. Regular sized door in lower left corner. Good news is I can do anything I like with the room placement wise. Pics can be provided if helpful.
I like to have movies at reference or near reference level. Music moderate to loud: classic rock, blues, contemporary jazz, some electronic, etc.
Looking at 5.2 system, have TV already, not including 4k player on build (will research later) budget say 4k for the 5 speakers, 2 subs and AVR. I'm sure from being a long time lurker to this forum that
you all will help me spend some more

I have certain ideas but am open minded. Bookshelf or floor standing? Ported or sealed subs? Floor is a suspended wood and walls solid (lath and plaster?, house built 1923, not drywall.
Seating will be optimized for 2 only. That seems a pretty good place to start. What say thee? Thanks for reading and appreciate any assistance you can provide. Best, Stephan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 135
In that size room you definitely don't need any more than 5.1 and good bookshelfs. Get 5 identical speakers if you can as this will improve the soundfield IME - not absolutely necessary but is a noticeable improvement.
By staying with cheaper bookshelfs (compared to towers) you can afford 2 better subs maybe and even stretch to a 5.1.2 Atmos capable receiver and stick 2 in or on ceiling speakers in for total immersion.

Should be able to get a really good 5.2.2 system for your budget.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Set aside some money for acoustic wall treatments and read up on how to dial in a room for audio. Possibly your best bang for the buck.
Bookshelf speakers...with 2 subs towers are not needed in this room.
An AVR with good room correction software and spend the money for a calibrated mic and use REW.
Speakers are so personal so you need to audition as much as you can.
Likely an AVR such as the Denon 3600 would be a near perfect device for your room.

Good luck and keep us informed.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Niterida and Kai. This confirms alot of my thinking. Really wrestling with which subs to grab. Should I ask that on subwoofers forum you think? Also 4 12's or 2 15's? Hmmm.. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page