• 1 Post By fbov

post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2020, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Room layout conundrum

I've just moved into a new house, and I'm trying to figure out the best layout for my theater/great room. It will primarily be used for watching TV/movies and gaming, and only occasionally for other traditional family/living room activities.

There are two orientation that I think will work, but each has a surround speaker placement challenge. Because, of course, there has to be something...

I will be using my trusty, original release Swan Diva speakers, with R3 bipole side surrounds and the 2.1 bookshelf speakers for the rear channel.

Here are visualizations of the room. It's 17'x17', with the fireplace bumping out 2' into the room. I've got a 5040UB projector coming, so one orientation will be limited to my (current) 120" screen when oriented on the fireplace (unless I knock a hole in the wall and use my den as a hush box). The other orientation will be able to scale to larger screens if I wish because I can mount the projector in the short hall to the kitchen.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...668268&thumb=1

Unless the sofa is really close to the back wall (or too close to the screen), the windows present a problem for surround placement. If the sofa is close to the wall, I worry that a bipole side surround will not do well being that close to a corner, and the rear surrounds would not have enough room. If I mount the side surrounds asymmetrically, with one between the windows and forward of the seating position, is that something that room correction can account for? I wouldn't think so for a direct speaker, but bipoles can be weird.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...668272&thumb=1

This one looks a lot better until I look at the surround placement next to the fireplace. Again, is a bipole going to have issues being nestled into a corner (albeit the smaller corner of the fireplace column)? (Also, I lose the windows when not watching something, but I have to figure out if I care.)

In either case, would swapping the bipoles to be rears and the 2.1s to be side surrounds be the answer? I've been operating under the impression that you want to use direct rears and that bipoles are only used for sides.

I keep thinking of what-ifs, including buying a couple of new speakers (or perhaps building a new set of speakers this summer), but I'm hoping some advice from you guys will help me focus on the viable options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FireplaceScreen1.png
Views:	26
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2668268   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowScreen1.png
Views:	25
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	2668272  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2020, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I would go with option 2 - direct firing as surrounds with absorption panel on the side of the fireplace and bipoles for rears either side of the hallway opening.
Llamas likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 452
@Llamas - Can you tell me what software or app you used to draw your room layout? I'm in the process of redoing my living room and need something similar so I can visualize what I'm attempting to accomplish. thank you.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
@Llamas - Can you tell me what software or app you used to draw your room layout? I'm in the process of redoing my living room and need something similar so I can visualize what I'm attempting to accomplish. thank you.
It's called Sweet Home 3D. To be honest, it's just the first one I tried while looking around for a free Visio replacement. There are a bunch of them out there, but I can't comment on their quality or relative merits.
mbroadus likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I think you're overthinking it.

Bipole/dipole surrounds are hard to localize by design, so you have lots of latitude in where they're placed. The big thing is to get the front sound stage right. Next, I'd use the direct speakers in the location farthest from the listener, so rears (unless you only sit in the center of the couch). And then put the bi/diploes where it's easy to mount them, because they're hard to locate by ear.

Have fun,
Frank
Llamas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page