• 1 Post By niterida

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2020, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cool ICE's Theater / Poker Room

Hi All,

I've been on the board for about a year now soaking up all the knowledge from everyone contributing to this forum. It's been a real pleasure reading all these great builds. This will be my first post. I started designing my unfinished basement about a year ago working on a plan. I'm just now starting to talk with contractors to make it a reality. I have buddies that are willing to help build this, but I work too many hours and I feel it would take me a good couple of years to complete. Not the most budget-friendly route and I understand that.

What I have to work with. I attached photos of the plans. You will see my speaker placement photos as well. The area for the theater/poker table is roughly 14'x28'x8'. I went around and around where to place this theater area given the layout of the basement. I landed on what you see now. Ignore the 3D design. That isn't what the colors nor the seating/decor will look like. I will be buying 3 reclining theater chairs where you see the couch. I will also be putting in two LoveSac movie bags and I already have a LoveSac pillow that will be going in the middle.

Equipment that I'm looking to buy:
3 - Klipsch Pro-25RW LCR Reference In-Wall for LCR speakers
2 - Klipsch Pro-16RW Reference In-Wall for Left/Right surround
2 - Klipsch Pro-16RC - In-Ceiling for Atmos
2 - SVS PB-2000 Subs - This seems to be a sore topic around here. I know it's not cost-effective, but I have read really good reviews.
1 - Epson Home Cinema 5050UB
1 - Denon AVR-X6500H
1 - AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 - Cooling the Denon...

My goals for the theater/poker area.

1. Some sound isolation, but nothing crazy. I will probably have them put up the 5/8" double drywall with GG between. Insulation on all sides. The one contractor said they put in foam insulation in the outside walls. I read the threads on here regarding that. I may have them spray where the joist/concrete meet. Then do fiberglass batt on the walls. I will be using in-wall Klipsch speakers. This is more to keep a low profile.

2. I will be watching movies and sports in this room. AT Screen will be 110" 16x9 right now unless I back the projector another foot at 12' and install a 120" screen. Still thinking about this.

3. 3 to 9 people sitting in the room. Most of the time just 3 people. With me sitting right in the middle of the 3-row recliners (best seat in the house).

4. The snack/raised bar for setting watching sports with your favorite food. A poker table in the back for Friday night poker night.

5. Speaker configuration. Wired for 9.2.4, but initially installing 5.2.2. I will only have the back 4 speakers listed in the photo. 2 left/right at the back and 2 atmos above recliners. I was trying to think how I could place two behind the recliners for the back surround, but I don't know of a good way. Any thought here?

6. I'd like to get Jeff over at Night Sky Murals in painting the stars. I've seen several builds get this done and it looks awesome. Not a priority, but at some point, I'd like to get this done.

7. The back right of the room will have two pocket doors to leave open when watching sports and having people over. Then closed when watching movies. This area is probably my weakest link in any sound isolation. I understand this will have sound leaking into the wet bar area. I'm not looking for total isolation in sound.

8. The AV equipment will be placed on shelves where the stair cavity is located. Not sure what that will look like at this time. I do have a pipe right in the middle of the stair cavity that I'll have to workaround. Shouldn't be too big of a deal.

9. I will put in blackout blinds and may be curtains for the windows. Light control.

Problems and Thoughts?

1. The soffit area, with the height of my ceiling. The ceiling is only a 7'11" high. I wanted to create a false soffit for looks and lighting as well as used for wire runs. The theater rooms I've viewed looks great with lighting and the painted night sky (mouth dropping). I have the soffits right now at 7" from the top. I'm wondering how this would interfere with the throw of the projector if at all? The projector would be mounted up in the recessed area. My goal is to get the projector back to at least 12' to where I could have a 120" screen, but I may settle for 11' throw and 110" screen. It's hard to visualize the distance of the projector from the ceiling to make sure the angle works. Any thoughts on the soffit?

2. Speaker location. The one image shows where I think I'll put the speakers. They are marked in green. Originally I was looking at creating a baffle wall or false wall. Then put in some DIY sound speakers. I'm in Cincinnati so not far from their home base. But in the end. I'm looking at going with the Klipsch set up as noted above. May still do a false wall if I change my mind in the future.

I have a raised bar right behind the recliners. No easy way to place rear speakers unless I did something in the ceiling. That is why I left them out. I probably won't have them unless someone could tell me a good way to place them. The front speakers will be behind an AT screen. Right now looking at the Silver Ticket - Woven Acoustic screens. The two subs will be below the screen. I'm still thinking of a way to hide these either by putting them into the wall slightly or building a long bench that stretches the length of the room. Then put seat cushions for extra seats when not watching a movie.

3. Riser - To do or not to do.... That is the question. Right now in the plan I was putting in a small 5" riser platform for the recliners. This would help with running power over to the chairs and bar top. I could do a small notch in the concrete to run a power conduit and not install a riser. The recliners would only have to look over the LoveSac bags/pillow. I wasn't planning on putting in another row of recliners. This would give me a little more headroom as well without a riser.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions on these plans. I want to start in the next couple of months.

Thanks in advance!
ICE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpeakerPlacement.png
Views:	25
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	2668466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan.png
Views:	27
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	2668468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater3.png
Views:	38
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2668484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater2.png
Views:	41
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2668486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater1.png
Views:	39
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2668488  

Name:	Theater4.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2668492  
pkinneb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Nice layout - thats how I have mine.

But your speaker locations are wrong. Side surrounds are supposed to be directly to the side of the seats and rear surrounds behind the seats.
Also your 4 Atmos speakers should be equidistant front-to-back from your seating.

If you do .2 Atmos the speakers then go directly above the seating, which means they need to be moved if you upgrade to .4
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Nice layout - thats how I have mine.

But your speaker locations are wrong. Side surrounds are supposed to be directly to the side of the seats and rear surrounds behind the seats.
Also your 4 Atmos speakers should be equidistant front-to-back from your seating.

If you do .2 Atmos the speakers then go directly above the seating, which means they need to be moved if you upgrade to .4
Hi niterida! I will take a closer look at your build.

I forgot to mention that I could pull the recliners forward some to help with speaker placement. The soffit is an issue behind the recliners. They are 11" down from the ceiling. (I-beam and HVAC main). The other issue with moving the rear speakers back further is running into the pocket doors on the right side. Good thing with these Klipsch pros is that the tweeters can be adjusted to point in the right direction.

If I could move the two side speakers back some or move the recliners forward. I could then use those as the surround back and then two front as surround? Not having a wall close to the back side of the recliners is tough for speaker placement. The surround back has been my issue. This would then put me at 7.2.2 in the beginning. My current speaker placement diagram was for two side surround right/left for both back and front seating. The front two were for the future.

My thinking on the Atmos speakers. 2 in the front would be more for the front seating. I can see your point if I had 4 atmos and sitting in the back recliners. This might answer my question on the chair riser as well. I was only starting with two Atmos speakers for the recliners.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 139
.2 won't really work if the speakers aren't directly overhead - yes it will sound like height effects but obviously they will always be in front of you. This may be acceptable if you are definitely going to .4 later but if you keep it at .2 you will always be thinking you should haveput them above.

Maybe just start with 5.2.4 - I have 7.x.6 and the rear surrounds add very little and you can always work something out for them later.
ckronengold likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I have a soffit roughly 12' from my screen, and the ceiling was already only 7'4". I didn't want to have the projector in front of it, since I wanted a bigger image than that would have allowed for.

I solved my issue with a Monoprice motorized lift. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15495
It used to be $450 and now its quite a bit more, and thats annoying AF. But in the grand scheme of things, its not a deal breaker if it solves the problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	projectordown.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2669246   Click image for larger version

Name:	projectorup.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1,009.9 KB
ID:	2669248   Click image for larger version

Name:	projectoronfront.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	925.2 KB
ID:	2669250  

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I have a soffit roughly 12' from my screen, and the ceiling was already only 7'4". I didn't want to have the projector in front of it, since I wanted a bigger image than that would have allowed for.

It used to be $450 and now its quite a bit more, and thats annoying AF. But in the grand scheme of things, its not a deal breaker if it solves the problem.
That is a nifty way to solve the problem. Do you need to adjust the protector anytime to compensate from the up and down movement?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Nope. It ways goes to the same spot. You can control how far the lift travels both up and down.

When I had the projector calibrated, we measured the geometry of the test image and made sure we got the projector mounted square. Then we locked in the height and then finalized with the lens shift.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page