New guy, New Construction, No idea where to start - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New guy, New Construction, No idea where to start

So my family and I are building a new house and we find ourselves spending the most time in the Living Room. We don’t have room for a Home Theater yet, and I’d like to have a nice stealth set up to watch and listen to movies and Sports!

We have a very open concept being out Living Room Dining area and kitchen are all one giant room. You will see floor plan below. I have come up with the fireplace wall plan this afternoon and it will be really simple electric fireplace, wood mantle and a 75” TV. See rough layout below.

The plan for now is to not have cabinets or shelves on either side of the fireplace. This gives very little space to hide a subwoofer and we really don’t care for the sound bar look. We have not yet run electrical in the house so we have all the options in the world for a very simple set up. Any input on speakers, locations, ideas for stealth install would be appreciated. We stream 100% of everything so no need to hide cable boxes. But I am unsure of what we will need to run the speakers and sub if we can find one besides the tv. Like I said totally green to this type of stuff.

Thanks for all of your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Not an ideal layout. I have similar layout too. I have niches on either side of fireplace. Currently in process of adding shelves and cabinets in those niches.

This is what I did during our build process:

- make sure the builder doesn’t put mantle too high. I had to ask them to drop the mantle 6 inches. If I were to do it again, I’d let go of the hearth, drop the fireplace some more and go for a rectangular narrower fireplace. This would have given me more room to increase the tv size.

- wire for 5.1 or 7.1. I have it wired for 7.1. I placed the subwoofer out at a corner where an end table goes, this gives me flexibility to add second subwoofer near the receiver with minimal wire exposed. Ask for all copper wire or even better provide the wires yourself and ask them to leave extra wire at the end for flexibility.

- if discreet look is preferred, go with in wall speakers and make sure the space for the speakers between the studs. I had my builder re do the studs above the fireplace to make sure I can place the center channel dead center above the tv.

- I opted for the inwall speakers with amiable tweeters. The speakers are at around 10 ft high in a 20 ft high ceiling room, far from ideal, but tweeters aimed down to listen position helped a lot. It is not my main movie watching or music rig. For a living room setup, it works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

living room: 60" 4k TV | XBox one S | Apple TV 4k | Fire tv stick 4k | Sony BDP 6500| Yamaha rx-v7810 | Polk Audio 65RT 7 channels | Dayton Audio sub-120 | small room theater: Benq w1070 | Sony SACD player | Sony BDP 6500 | Yamaha rx-v661 | Adcom 5600->Front LCR: Polk audio RTi8 | Center: Polk audio CSi5 | Side: Polk audio RTi4 | working on inuke nu1000dsp -> 2 VBSS subwoofer | Office: Denon 1930CI SACD player | Yamaha rx-a730 | Polk RTi4
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I have a similar "open concept" living area and it is not at all ideal for a "HT". It's fine for my purposes but I'd much prefer to have a dedicated rectangular room for HT.
Do the best you can and with decent kit you will have a good entertainment experience.
Make sure the WAF works otherwise you may have a system that is sub par and too many compromises that defeat your intent.

Good luck and keep us informed.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2020, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I hate TVs mounted above fireplaces because I fell like I'm looking up at the ceiling to watch TV. I have one of those too because I have no other choice for placement in my living room so it is what it is and doesn't get turned on much.

1) For "new construction" pre-wire, pre-wire, pre-wire, did I say pre-wire. Can't stress that enough.
2) Look at In-Wall mounted speakers for at least a 5.1.2 type system.
3) I would run Cat 5 Lan everywhere as I don't trust Wi-Fi as a single solution. My house built in 2011 has no Cat 5 (builder cheeped out???).
4) Go with the biggest wall mounted TV you can afford.
5) Plan out ahead where your AVR equipment will go and have all pre-wiring terminate at that location.

Hope this helps.

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page