Sealed or ported side channels? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-12-2020, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sealed or ported side channels?

So I’m testing things out here and looking for any ideas.

Wrapping a support column and originally had planned for bookshelf speakers for side channels but given that I had an eye sore (post) to hide I figured I’d use in wall/ceilings instead.

In an effort to keep post as relatively as small as possible I made room for 8” speaker. Use that as reference, far wall - left channel, hit dead nuts stud. Deal with that later.

Had one layer of 5/8 and wasn’t sold on how it sounded so I doubled it up and it made quite the difference. Almost tempted to do two layers everywhere now!

Anyway, experimenting with things and I then drilled a 3/4 hole in the back as I haven’t covered that yet. I liked it.

Stuffed everything with rockwool temporarily to sort of see how that dampened things and it was acceptable.

I’m guessing I can find one inch ports or something to drill/install on front/face side.

Any thoughts on this?

* before I put rockwool in I had the ‘ported side on the back (clamped two pieces of 5/8 to back side) - only to not drill through installed drywall but I assume it would be a similar effect on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-12-2020, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I tested them on front channels as well as surround. I understand they are typically meant for surround and thinking of it now it would be easy enough to port down the road but just looking for input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page