Building frame inside built-in cabinet? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Building frame inside built-in cabinet?

So I've got a built-in cabinet to hold a TV. This cabinet is about 2 feet deep, designed to hold old CRT type TVs I guess. However these days its not ideal because:

1. The cabinet is EXACTLY 48" wide. It would hold a 43 inch wide 50" TV but a 55" TV is just a bit too wide (48.8 inches)

2. A flat screen TV, due to the feet on the stand would end up being recessed a few inches into the cabinet

3. Therefore, the viewing angles are reduced and no way to see the TV from the kitchen

4. There is no great way to secure the TV so it won't fall out

5. A sound bar below the TV would not fit in between the legs of the stand

The solution seems to be, build a frame inside the recessed cabinet. Has anybody ever tried this?

I'm thinking a frame could be made out of 2x4s with plywood and veneer for the face, maybe reducing the depth of the cabinet to about 4", the wires going through a hole that would be hidden by the TV (with the wires eventually going down to the a/v equipment in the cabinet below).

The 2x4s in the front, behind the plywood facing, would be centered 16" apart to attach an adjustable flat screen wall mount.

The idea is to get a 55" TV which could then stay flush against the outer cabinet, or could be pulled out and turned a bit if watching from the kitchen. This would also allow room for the sound bar below it.

Has anyone tried something like this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_av_guy View Post
So I've got a built-in cabinet to hold a TV. This cabinet is about 2 feet deep, designed to hold old CRT type TVs I guess. However these days its not ideal because:

1. The cabinet is EXACTLY 48" wide. It would hold a 43 inch wide 50" TV but a 55" TV is just a bit too wide (48.8 inches)

2. A flat screen TV, due to the feet on the stand would end up being recessed a few inches into the cabinet

3. Therefore, the viewing angles are reduced and no way to see the TV from the kitchen

4. There is no great way to secure the TV so it won't fall out

5. A sound bar below the TV would not fit in between the legs of the stand

The solution seems to be, build a frame inside the recessed cabinet. Has anybody ever tried this?

I'm thinking a frame could be made out of 2x4s with plywood and veneer for the face, maybe reducing the depth of the cabinet to about 4", the wires going through a hole that would be hidden by the TV (with the wires eventually going down to the a/v equipment in the cabinet below).

The 2x4s in the front, behind the plywood facing, would be centered 16" apart to attach an adjustable flat screen wall mount.

The idea is to get a 55" TV which could then stay flush against the outer cabinet, or could be pulled out and turned a bit if watching from the kitchen. This would also allow room for the sound bar below it.

Has anyone tried something like this before?
No reason why you couldn't build out some 2x4 framing inside the cubby to attach a TV mount to. Or, given that you can get swing arm mounts that extend 25+ inches, you may not need to build it out at all, or at least very minimally.

post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier240 View Post
No reason why you couldn't build out some 2x4 framing inside the cubby to attach a TV mount to. Or, given that you can get swing arm mounts that extend 25+ inches, you may not need to build it out at all, or at least very minimally.
Yes that would solve some of the problems but not all of them. Such as wanting to use a bigger TV and wanting to be able to swivel it towards the kitchen a bit. I ordered a 19" swivel extension arm and will try building a frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page