New setup in existing room - wireless in-ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New setup in existing room - wireless in-ceiling?

We recently moved and I'd like to try to get at least surround sound, if not a dolby atmos, set up in our main level. Problem is there is no existing wiring, everything above and below is finished, and my wife is very skeptical that we or anyone else could patch the holes required to fish speaker wire to her standard (basically meaning you never knew there was a hole). There is a lot of sunlight in the room so the paint may have faded, so matching paint may be impossible.

I'm looking at creative solutions, so was wondering if any of the major speaker companies out there working on wireless architectural speakers? And if so, can any of those systems have their power source tapped in to existing power lines in the walls/ceilings? Would the wireless speakers from dynaudio or KEF be able to serve as surround speakers and have their power source tapped into existing power lines?

I know Sonos has their wireless in-wall/in-ceiling offering, but I believe that has to be connected to their amp via a wired connection?

Speaker stands for the surround speakers are out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-14-2020, 08:52 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked: 1892
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gembob View Post
We recently moved and I'd like to try to get at least surround sound, if not a dolby atmos, set up in our main level. Problem is there is no existing wiring, everything above and below is finished, and my wife is very skeptical that we or anyone else could patch the holes required to fish speaker wire to her standard (basically meaning you never knew there was a hole). There is a lot of sunlight in the room so the paint may have faded, so matching paint may be impossible.

If someone refuses to consider than someone else has the necessary skills....well, what's to do? Anyone with years of experience doing existing Home Retrofits would not be concerned about someone 'else's concerns. They would just "Do It" and then collect the accolades.

I myself had to acquire Drywall Finishing skills out to Level 5 perfection just to be able to know my Painted Wall Screens could match up against the best Mfg examples. But that wasn't all. Once you know what to do, you can do it anywhere. Opening entire walls or stitching wire runs across Ceiling joists after cutting long access points...ya do what you must and accept the responsibilities thereof. Fudging simply because the entire Wall Panel / Ceiling should /must be painted really just means you don't want to go down that path. Painting is the easy part...and many is the Faded room I have successfully color matched.

I bet I could convince Her...because I would guarantee her she would be happy

So I'm no different that anyone else you might find that actually knows what they are doing. And there are lots of them on AVS.

[/QUOTE]I'm looking at creative solutions, so was wondering if any of the major speaker companies out there working on wireless architectural speakers? And if so, can any of those systems have their power source tapped in to existing power lines in the walls/ceilings? Would the wireless speakers from dynaudio or KEF be able to serve as surround speakers and have their power source tapped into existing power lines?

I know Sonos has their wireless in-wall/in-ceiling offering, but I believe that has to be connected to their amp via a wired connection?

Speaker stands for the surround speakers are out.[/QUOTE]

So yours a 2 Story Home? Is there Carpet above the downstairs room. Basically, you cannot know what can or cannot be done....right and affordably...until you start asking.

Trying to outfit a Home Theater (Atmos particularly) with Wireless....well that just shows you do really need some advice badly. As you touched upon, every Speaker must have a Power source for it's little Transformer. And none will be very cosmetic aesthetically speaking. Nor performance wise anywhere near sufficent...

I'm a KEF Dealer / Installer and I would'nt EVER suggest wireless for such an application. Of course I wouldn't need to. I'd find a way to make it happen and make it happen. Keep looking...your "Multi-Trade" White Knight is somewhere waiting for you.

.......unless you live in "Joisey" then furgittaboudit.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=MississippiMan;59101082]If someone refuses to consider than someone else has the necessary skills....well, what's to do? Anyone with years of experience doing existing Home Retrofits would not be concerned about someone 'else's concerns. They would just "Do It" and then collect the accolades.

They won't 'just do it' if they never get the opportunity.

I myself had to acquire Drywall Finishing skills out to Level 5 perfection just to be able to know my Painted Wall Screens could match up against the best Mfg examples. But that wasn't all. Once you know what to do, you can do it anywhere. Opening entire walls or stitching wire runs across Ceiling joists after cutting long access points...ya do what you must and accept the responsibilities thereof. Fudging simply because the entire Wall Panel / Ceiling should /must be painted really just means you don't want to go down that path. Painting is the easy part...and many is the Faded room I have successfully color matched.

Painting the entire ceiling is an option, right now I'm still looking for the path of least resistance.

I bet I could convince Her...because I would guarantee her she would be happy

Unfortunately a guarantee from someone we've never met online doesn't carry any weight; satisfaction guarantees, even when written into contracts, don't amount to much.

So I'm no different that anyone else you might find that actually knows what they are doing. And there are lots of them on AVS.

That's not the concern - we are very close with the two people that did all the wiring for her brothers house, and they did an amazing job. I personally can't tell where they even cut into the wall. That still hasn't fully convinced her.

So yours a 2 Story Home? Is there Carpet above the downstairs room. Basically, you cannot know what can or cannot be done....right and affordably...until you start asking.

3 story. We have a basement below, and the bedroom above, which is carpeted. Both are fully finished. The room I'm tackling now on the main floor has 2 walls to the outside of the house (one a covered patio), and I've seen people talk of running wires outside, that might be a more viable option depending on how the speaker wires were finally brought in to the house. If the wire could run up into the patio ceiling, then into the house and go all the way to the final speaker locations without having to cut additional holes, that may work.

Trying to outfit a Home Theater (Atmos particularly) with Wireless....well that just shows you do really need some advice badly.

Hence me posting these questions.....

I'm a KEF Dealer / Installer and I would'nt EVER suggest wireless for such an application. Of course I wouldn't need to. I'd find a way to make it happen and make it happen. Keep looking...your "Multi-Trade" White Knight is somewhere waiting for you.

I think you're missing the overall point of my post asking for help/info. Right now, cutting into the ceiling/walls and patching is not an option. I don't need a multi-trade white knight, we already have one. I'm working on the convincing aspect, but currently it's out, UNLESS the holes made in the ceiling/wall are going to be the final installation spot of the speakers themselves, meaning there would be no additional holes inside the house with the sole purpose of fishing speaker wire. If that's not possible, and I certainly understand it's a big ask, then I might have to just start with the front 3 speakers + sub and work on convincing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Saw a responding Post but I suppose it was deleted.

It is /would be highly improbable that your "Speaker Holes" will happen to all be in line with your Joist configuration. And even if they are....you still must route some or all of them sideways to reach the Equipment.

If...as suggested above...you have carpet above the room in question, working from above through the flooring is a easily accommodated option. At most it requires just 1 day between your having the Carpet pulled loose, the Pad removed, and having it replace into position the following AM

I do it all the time......but of course if the floors above are Hardwood or Tile, your back to square one.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I can see my response? The general theme of the response was that, at this point, cutting into the walls/ceilings isn't an option unless there's only one hole per speaker, and it ends up being where the speaker goes. As you noted that is highly unlikely. The room upstairs is carpeted, but it also has some extremely heavy furniture in it that required a specialized moving crew to get in place. I don't know if I'm up for breaking down and moving our bedroom furniture, then pulling up the carpet and padding. There was one other option I noted, and that would be routing the speaker cable out the back wall to the outside of the house, then around to a patio area, in the ceiling of the patio roof, and then into the ceilings of the room in question. I assume the issue there is you still wouldn't know if you'd hit an obstacle when trying to fish the cable from the outside to the speakers and need to cut another hole, correct?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2020, 10:18 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Yes...until you start, and use Fiberglas Probe rods down holes or across spaces, you cannot really know what lurks inside a wall. Stud finders are not always that helpful...but good ones can make the obvious quite clear. But recessed wood blocks....Air Supply Plenums....floor Joist "X" frames...you could think you have a straight shot and still not be able to guide a wire through. There is nothing like using something with a known length to determine if you can get a wire where you want it. And if not....where's my Knife?

It sounds like you do have access via the open Ceiling Joist framing of the porch. If the "do;er" knows what he's doing, that's an viable option...but there must be a lot of careful reconnoitering, and Inside/outside measuring before a 3/4" to 1" hole goes through an Exterior Wall. and tries to enter in a Ceiling Plenum.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Okay that's what I figured. Personally I'd rather keep everything inside, pull the carpet and route the cables under the floor board then up the wall. I assume that would require at least one cut in the wall above the floor board, and then another near the ceiling. We actually went over to the brother in-laws house and looked at their set up again, she admitted that she thought it looked really good but was still hesitant to do that in our house. So what I think I may do for now is get the front 3 and a sub and receiver all set up and then keep trying to work on her. I also have a basement I need to set up so I can stay busy for a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page