Atmos 5.1.4 setup in new basement advice
Not sure if this is the best location for asking general setup advice. Working on budgeting out a new setup an entertainment room in the basement that doesn't have the most ideal layout. Created a basic to give an idea of the space with a 4 person couch and a 120" screen, with a seating distance of about 13'. The other 2d view is just a rough placement of the speakers; squares are the in ceiling speakers, triangles are the 5 main channels and the black circle in the middle is a place holder for the seating position.
Since the basement is being started next week I wanted to get locations for pre-wiring all of the speakers, projector, power and sub.
- The builder will be running 9 speaker wires to locations I request using the wire I supply. I'm planning to just use the 12ga speaker wire from Monoprice. All wire runs will go to the mechanical room where I intend to build in a rack.
- They will run a tube from the mechanical room to the ceiling location for the projector, as well as put a power outlet on the ceiling.
- They will run the subwoofer cable
Based on the dolby atmos site I can determine the best locations for the speakers but am still trying to figure out the best option for the surround right channel. My current idea is to ceiling mount both surrounds and angle them towards the listening position, while trying to lower the speakers as far as I can given the mounts on the market.
The second thing I'm working on is the selection of the actual components for the system. The setup will be used for movies, tv and gaming. The family area actually has no windows and I'm having them put in 2 sets of cans, so I can control the lighting near the screen separate from the rest of the family room. I'll also be selecting a darker satin paint for the walls but will be leaving the ceilings white. Currently for the build I've budgeted the following:
- 4k Projector- 1k-2k, I'd also like to select a ceiling location that would give me the most flexibility for upgrading the projector in the future.
- Screen- currently thinking either the amazon basics or silver fixed 120" screen to start with.
- Speakers- Looking at around the price point of the elac debut 2.0's
- Ceiling Atmos Speakers- don't think a lot is needed for the height channel but think around $150 a speaker
- Subwoofer- Had heard good things about the HSU research VTF-3 MK5 and had an older model while growing up. Also open to other option around or below that price point.
- Receiver- looking at around the 1k price point.