Atmos 5.1.4 setup in new basement advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Atmos 5.1.4 setup in new basement advice

Not sure if this is the best location for asking general setup advice. Working on budgeting out a new setup an entertainment room in the basement that doesn't have the most ideal layout. Created a basic to give an idea of the space with a 4 person couch and a 120" screen, with a seating distance of about 13'. The other 2d view is just a rough placement of the speakers; squares are the in ceiling speakers, triangles are the 5 main channels and the black circle in the middle is a place holder for the seating position.

Since the basement is being started next week I wanted to get locations for pre-wiring all of the speakers, projector, power and sub.
  1. The builder will be running 9 speaker wires to locations I request using the wire I supply. I'm planning to just use the 12ga speaker wire from Monoprice. All wire runs will go to the mechanical room where I intend to build in a rack.
  2. They will run a tube from the mechanical room to the ceiling location for the projector, as well as put a power outlet on the ceiling.
  3. They will run the subwoofer cable

Based on the dolby atmos site I can determine the best locations for the speakers but am still trying to figure out the best option for the surround right channel. My current idea is to ceiling mount both surrounds and angle them towards the listening position, while trying to lower the speakers as far as I can given the mounts on the market.

The second thing I'm working on is the selection of the actual components for the system. The setup will be used for movies, tv and gaming. The family area actually has no windows and I'm having them put in 2 sets of cans, so I can control the lighting near the screen separate from the rest of the family room. I'll also be selecting a darker satin paint for the walls but will be leaving the ceilings white. Currently for the build I've budgeted the following:
  1. 4k Projector- 1k-2k, I'd also like to select a ceiling location that would give me the most flexibility for upgrading the projector in the future.
  2. Screen- currently thinking either the amazon basics or silver fixed 120" screen to start with.
  3. Speakers- Looking at around the price point of the elac debut 2.0's
  4. Ceiling Atmos Speakers- don't think a lot is needed for the height channel but think around $150 a speaker
  5. Subwoofer- Had heard good things about the HSU research VTF-3 MK5 and had an older model while growing up. Also open to other option around or below that price point.
  6. Receiver- looking at around the 1k price point.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	2670206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2670208  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2020, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
As no one else responded I thought I'd welcome you and add my 2 cents as it were. I'm also working on a new atmos set up although as it's not a dedicated space I'm only doing 5.1.2 . You mentioned the Elac Debut 2.0 which are what I'll be using as my base layer. A pair of Elac B5.2 and matching center. I liked the idea of using their OW4.2 as surrounds as they are low profile and port at the bottom. I went with Elac because they are well reviewed and got some good deals over boxing week. I'm new to atmos but as I understand it you want to keep as much separation between the sound layers as possible so mounting your right side channel near the ceiling would negate the effects. Can you move your seating slightly forward to take advantage of the stair wall or perhaps place a bookcase to the right as you come down the stairs to maintain your seating distance? Both are compromises but we do the best we can with space we're given.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2020, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 7473 Post(s)
Liked: 6601
How wide is the front wall? How far back does the right side wall go?

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2020, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was actually able to recover my main account which still hasn't seen much use.

I appreciate the feedback on the Elac system. I had look into the on wall speaker but the surround right is really difficult to work around and given this is a dedicated space I don't mind having a speaker hanging 6 feet off the ground from the ceiling, total ceiling height is a little over 8'. The hope is that still gets me 2 feet of separation plus the fact they'll be angled towards the listening area. I'll have to think about the bookshelf but I don't have a ton of room in the rest of the area to put it. I could move up the seating a bit and compromise on the overall size of the screen, the intent was to place a bar and stools behind the seats as well.

They just started framing and the walls are a tad smaller then first though, 142" on the back wall and 119" on the stairway wall. The left wall is 188" till it hits the wet bar.

The area with the stacked wood is where the screen will be going.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2020, 04:17 PM

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200116_173352.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2671974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200116_173358.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2671976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200116_173403.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2671978   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200116_173453.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2671980  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
At this point in the build I'd be seriously considering extending that right wall back a few feet. That would allow ideal placement for that side surround while also enclosing the theater a bit more. It's hard to imagine how that will impact aesthetics for the rest space. Perhaps take a spare 2x4 and place it floor to ceiling where the imaginary wall would end. See how it feels. A movie poster at the bottom of the stairs would make it seem more purposeful. Also at what height are you planning to mount the left surround? Current methodology says no more than 1.25 times the height of your front sound stage. Seated ear heights being around 33"-35" that would suggest no higher than 44" for your side surrounds. I'm envious of you having a blank canvas to work with . Subscribed

Last edited by Laughorgy; 01-19-2020 at 08:46 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 04:50 PM

Being able to do a theater/entertainment was very high on our list for a new house, especially since I was only able to use my last projector setups for 6 months. Unfortunately extending that wall isn't an option, though it would likely be better for both the speaker placement and sound. Currently I'm thinking of just pre-wiring both surrounds to the same plate on the left side of the room. I'll then run the right surround under the theater seating and place the speaker on a stand about a foot away from the couch.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by physwm2501 View Post
Unfortunately extending that wall isn't an option,
Sorry but I think that is a bizarre statement !!

Extending the wall from the stairs solves all your problems and the wall doesn't block any entry or walkway or anything else that I can see. Yet you are happy to stick a speaker on a stand in that same location which is just going to look ridiculous and be prone to being knocked over. I think you need to put your foot down on this and build that wall.

At least build it as a half height wall so it will still mount your speaker but won't block the area entirely, but I think a full wall will definitely be best, especially for acoustics.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Sorry but I think that is a bizarre statement !!

Extending the wall from the stairs solves all your problems and the wall doesn't block any entry or walkway or anything else that I can see. Yet you are happy to stick a speaker on a stand in that same location which is just going to look ridiculous and be prone to being knocked over. I think you need to put your foot down on this and build that wall.

At least build it as a half height wall so it will still mount your speaker but won't block the area entirely, but I think a full wall will definitely be best, especially for acoustics.
It has to do with the contract we signed for purchasing the house but part of the reason we got such a good deal was keeping with one of the catalog floorplans the builder offered. Had to pull some serious teeth to get the wiring added for the speakers and projector to the point it's written in the actual contract. It's frustrating because the actual cost to put up that wall extension is trivial to the cost of finishing the basement.

I do think I have several other options with either a bookshelf or table. Eventually I'll have a bar directly behind the theater seating with bar seats so that speaker will be next to the table and far less prone to be knocked over. Think I've certainly been talked out of hanging the speaker from the ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page