AV receivers vs. AV reparates - sufficient power for 5.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AV receivers vs. AV reparates - sufficient power for 5.1

Hello,

I am looking into putting together a new 5.1 setup but finding myself in a struggle trying to choose the best components to drive the speakers.

The speakers I have chosen are:

1) Polk Audio S60 FL + FR - 8ohm, 90dB, 20-300W
2) Polk Audio S30 center - 8ohm, 89dB, 20-125W
3) Polk Audio S20 RL - RR 8ohm, 88dB, 20-125W

Up until now, my understanding has been that unless I start looking into serious high-end speakers, any decent modern AV receiver would be sufficient. However, for the past few weeks I have done quite a bit of reading on this matter and started doubting that sentiment.

I was thinking about getting something like Sony STR-DN1080 7.2 (variety is limited in my country).

It says 165W per channel (6ohms, 1kHz; one channel use, THD 0.9%) and I was planning on bi-amping the floorstanding speakers but is this a good idea?

Should I invest in a receiver that has pre-outs and get myself a decent amplifier? Or some other solution?

Thank you for any thoughts and suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-15-2020, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
most av receivers dont put out the rated power when driving all channels. most 100 watt rated receivers only realistically put out 50watts. if you dont listen very loud or get a higher end avr you should be fine for most speakers tho.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2020, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! However that’s my exact issue with this. Seemingly AV receiver specification regarding wattage is irrelevant. Listening “loud” is subjective. I’m just baffled how hard it is to figure out exactly how I can power these speakers sufficiently as well as push them to what they are meant to produce.

Are there no sources for getting specific information or formulas how I should figure this out?

So if the floor standings are rated up to 300W (which obviously isn’t realistic in a standard scenario), I’m supposed to buy a receiver that specifies 160W output but actually pushes 80? How is this a thing?

Is it standard to have a rack of Emotiva amps when buying <500$ floor standing speakers?

I’d really appreciate if someone could clear this up more besides all the mixed noise I’ve been reading because the whole ordeal seems ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Unless you intend to run your system VERY loud (anywhere from, say, -10dB to reference (0dB)), five speakers that are ~90dB efficient can be driven relatively easily by any half-decent, mainstream AVR receiver (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.).

One way to allay concerns is to buy an AVR equipped with multi-channel analogue outputs, so that the option of adding a power amp is available to you. If you do end up needing (or thinking you need) an external amp, add either:
- a two-channel amp to run the mains, with the AVR running the CC and surrounds; or
- a three-channel amp to run the L-C-R, with the AVR running just the surrounds.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 01-15-2020 at 04:55 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2020, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the info and suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page