Budget receiver and speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-01-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Budget receiver and speaker

I will be honest, i only spent 3 mins trying to find recommendations for speakers and receivers, so apologize in advance.

I am building new HT system and have to build from group up. I was thinking of either to build 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 system. Can someone please recommend good quality sound speakers without breaking bank./ I am thinking $1500 in total if possible. I can get used one also if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What size is your HT room and what size screen (TV or projector)? What part of the country are you in? Is 4K a factor? I can say that $1,500 budget is a little skinny for a 7.1.2 system but not undoable if smart shopping is employed (think used).

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
post #3 of 16 Old 02-04-2020, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

HT room is about 17.5 X 13 . I do want 4K. I was looking to cover the entire wall with screen if possible and have in wall speakers behind the screen. I might actually just do 5.1.2. I did purchase Yamaha TSR-7850R receiver from Costco. By chance can you please recommend me these things:

Screen -

Speakers -

Projector-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4081 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Looking for a Miracle...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0619212 View Post
HT room is about 17.5 X 13 . I do want 4K. I was looking to cover the entire wall with screen if possible and have in wall speakers behind the screen. I might actually just do 5.1.2. I did purchase Yamaha TSR-7850R receiver from Costco. By chance can you please recommend me these things:

Screen - If you want Speakers behind a Acoustic Transparent Screen, and that AT Screen to come in at a true budget level, a DIY Spandex Screen seems the likely choice. But covering the entire 13' (156" w) wall...........that will require a Projector with considerable lumen output and frankly your $1500.00 total budget is unrealistic. I'd consider instead "painting" the entire wall and going with a Non-Format Specific approach...one that can provide whatever size possible at any given Format choice. That will mean of course the projector choice will need to incorporate a decent amount of Zoom range and hopefully at least Vertical Lens Shift...again a stretch to fit into that budgetary limit...even used.

Total Cost to build a Spandex Screen or Paint a Screen Wall ($ 150.00 200.00max )

Speakers - Wow.....a tall order when trying to create a Theater w/5.1.2 Atmos in a 17' x 13' room...and have it actually achieve "Theater-like" status. I do think I can help out in this department though.
Right & Left Fronts: https://www.amazon.com/Polk-T50-Theater-Standing-Speaker/dp/B013LIN5W2/ (...probably the best value going for your situation...)

Center Channel: https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Theater-Channel-Speaker/dp/B07QVFDRRX/ (...tonally matched to the Mains...)
Surrounds (JBL In-Wall) : https://www.amazon.com/JBL-SP8II-8-Inch-Speaker-Tweeter/dp/B000MFRXNU/

Atmos Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YPS6T6/

Polk Sub-Woofer: https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/

Total: $711.66

Projector- OK...Anything that is actually 4K and bright enough to do what you want is going to push you at least $600-800 over budget. That said, there are a couple very bright, DLP PJs that are fully HDR compatible, accepting UHD-4K input, are excellent Gaming machines with Full 3D, and that come in at <$799.00 -<$659.00

The Optoma HD27HDR : https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD27HDR-Lumens-Theater-Projector/dp/B07GYJ7MBP/

.........and the HD39HDR : https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD39HDR-Brightness-Projector-Operation/dp/B07WRVXTNH/

(3400 & 4000 Lumen respectfully)

So there you are...at $1700.00 max spent (less Wiring, Cabling, and aggravation Taxes. Miracle can happen.....small ones at least.

(.....of course the above does not include that Yamaha, but waddya want fur nuthin' ? )

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 16 Old 02-06-2020, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
So there you are...at $1700.00 max spent (less Wiring, Cabling, and aggravation Taxes. Miracle can happen.....small ones at least.

(.....of course the above does not include that Yamaha, but waddya want fur nuthin' ? )

Thank you.

Sorry didn't explain it clearly.

My budget for Speaker+receiver = $1500

Budget for Screen + project = $1200

The speakers you mentioned look good, i am more inclined towards in-wall since they look aesthetic. I will measure the wall today and get more details on that.

I will take a look at projector and the screen.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-07-2020, 08:19 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Well then...choosing the right In-Walls is of paramount importance. Under-performing In-Walls can be terribly disappointing.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 16 Old 02-07-2020, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Thank you.

Sorry didn't explain it clearly.

My budget for Speaker+receiver = $1500

Budget for Screen + project = $1200

The speakers you mentioned look good, i am more inclined towards in-wall since they look aesthetic. I will measure the wall today and get more details on that.

I will take a look at projector and the screen.
I have no experience with projectors/screens, but if I am understanding you correctly you are planning on using a transparent screen and placing the speakers behind it? In that case I would strongly advise you to go with freestanding speakers for LCR behind the screen (aesthetics? You will not see them unless you are going to try to use a retractable screen?). This opens up so many more options for you at your stated budget. I'm going to guess you paid $XXX.XX for your receiver (good choice...great value!) which leaves you around $1100.00 for speakers. I'd suggest you go to the Micca website and shop their in-wall, in-ceiling speakers...great value, highly regarded on many threads. For LCR think Emotiva, Chane, possibly the newer Klipsch RP line, Ascend...many to research.

Maybe I missed it...what about the subwoofer? It may be the single most important element in creating a HT experience.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-07-2020, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I will need recommendations for subwoofer. I do see some recommendations from MisssipiMan.

I don't plan to have a drop down screen. I want to have it on the wall. I am getting measurement today to get better idea.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-07-2020, 02:40 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I will need recommendations for subwoofer. I do see some recommendations from MisssipiMan.

I don't plan to have a drop down screen. I want to have it on the wall. I am getting measurement today to get better idea.

I might suggest a system comprised of 3 KEF In-Walls (Ci4100QL-THX) for the main Front array, and then using Micca 8"ers for the Surrounds and Micca 6" for the Atmos.

BAM! The KEFs will provide a level of volume and near esoteric sound quality wholly worthy of "Theater-Like" status, while the Micca's will more than "make due" for the Effects Channels. And they can always be upgraded later owning to their almost ridiculously low prices. I would NOT however suggest them as Mains or the Center. For a Theater such as yours, they are a "Kiss your Sister" choice.
........................unless your into such things and if so, I don't wanna hear about it...

The Sub Woofer is a bit more problematical...something really worthy isn't gonna come in at the price point I suggested earlier. HOWEVER.....if you opt for the Polk I mentioned, and supplement it with another one, (...placed and eq'd correctly...)your Theater will sound like you spent over $5K instead of a measly $1200.00.

Going forward, as you progress, you can expect to want to add some acoustic dampening Panels along the Walls /at the Rear....as such will allow you to run the system at reference levels without the room ringing or creating adverse Null points and Freq. cancellation.

Let's get you fully "in it to win it".

Projector-wise...well, 4K doesn't come without a price, and anything relating to lighting up an affordable LARGE Acoustic Screen just isn't gonna be within the stated budget.

But here are choices worthy of consideration for "reasonable sized" Spandex Screens.120" diagonal and below:

BenQ TK800M
Optoma UHD50 (w/Lens Shift)

Otherwise, you have to consider the other 4K Compatible 1080p options to stay in line with your budget.

Your only other real option PJ-wise is to make unconscionable cuts in Speaker quality / prices and redirect the money into a Projector in the $1500-1800 range.

post #10 of 16 Old 02-07-2020, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For about a year I had a smooth wall painted in Benjamin Moore Whale Gray flat paint for a screen and the results were vey good. My projector is a Sony VPL-VW285ES

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
post #11 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

What do you all think about this one, I have someone selling slightly used for good price.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-au...?skuId=9154073
post #12 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

post #13 of 16 Old 02-10-2020, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Although I don't have experience with either of those subs the Klipsch would appear to have better performance. It has a more powerful amp 300w , bigger driver 12" and better low frequency response 24hz. Are you buying the Klipsch new rather than used as it has a good 5/2 year warranty as well.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-11-2020, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Bang for buck, BIC America can't be beat, especially the Venturi series.

https://bicamerica.com/product-categ...ries-speakers/

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 Old 02-11-2020, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
Bang for buck, BIC America can't be beat, especially the Venturi series.

https://bicamerica.com/product-categ...ries-speakers/

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
For the subwoofer , does it also depend on how many watts my receiver can push? Or does subwoofer simply taken whatever sends it and amplifies since it had in built amplifier?
post #16 of 16 Old 02-11-2020, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
For the subwoofer , does it also depend on how many watts my receiver can push? Or does subwoofer simply taken whatever sends it and amplifies since it had in built amplifier?
Almost all subs have a built in power amplifier so, no the receiver watts do not matter. The recvr powers all the other speakers so that matters

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page