Accessing Wires Behind Wall Hung TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-05-2020, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Accessing Wires Behind Wall Hung TV

I've never hung a large TV on the wall before and I was wondering what is the general approach for plugging everything into the TV once it's hung? I have no need for a fully articulating mount so would be looking at either a fixed or titling mount which leave very little room to access the back of the TV.

Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 404
My main TV has my oldest mount and it's just a tilt mount, no articulation. It's kinda a pain in the butt to get wires back there, especially if you have large hands. Thankfully it's something I don't do very often. This TV is only a 46", so it'd be even worse with a bigger TV.

If I were buying again, I'd probably by the full articulating mount. Sure it sticks out more from the wall, but I think it'd be worth it.

Perhaps if you had a setup with a AVR, and you'd really only have to run 1 HDMI cable. Then maybe I wouldn't worry about it more than once.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
I've never hung a large TV on the wall before and I was wondering what is the general approach for plugging everything into the TV once it's hung? I have no need for a fully articulating mount so would be looking at either a fixed or titling mount which leave very little room to access the back of the TV.

Thanks,
Harry

You could either connect the wiring prior to hanging the tv (a hassle but doable with a couple of friends) or ideally run a conduit in the wall for your cabling. That of course may require opening up the wall. However, if you have access to the attic space (single story home) a conduit can be installed without opening the wall if it's not a load bearing wall. In that scenario, the only cutting of the wall would be for the j-boxes or pass-through wall plates.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2020, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Have a friend hold the TV, plug things in then place on wall. Or take a pic of the back of the TV and think thin and get your hand behind the TV and plug it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page