Electrical access for TV and Soundbar - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cheddarhead

post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Electrical access for TV and Soundbar

There will be an outlet on the wall directly behind the TV. I want to mount my soundbar below the TV and then run the HDMI and power cord behind the wall. The HDMI will go to the TV, but where should I plug in the soundbar? Should I have an outlet installed inside the wall? Then some sort of access panel on the side so I can get in there? Run the soundbar power up behind the TV and just use that same outlet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55or65.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2680770  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3729 Post(s)
Liked: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
There will be an outlet on the wall directly behind the TV. I want to mount my soundbar below the TV and then run the HDMI and power cord behind the wall. The HDMI will go to the TV, but where should I plug in the soundbar? Should I have an outlet installed inside the wall? Then some sort of access panel on the side so I can get in there? Run the soundbar power up behind the TV and just use that same outlet?

Are you going to wall mount the tv? If so, then you could install the power outlet inside a recessed box, and then run a conduit of sufficient diameter for the power cord to the tv. That way if you ever change the tv, the power cord can be easily fished out and replaced. You could do the same thing with the soundbar HDMI and power cable. The sound bar power cable could be connected to the same outlet as the tv and then just run another conduit for the HDMI cable to the tv to keep it separated from the power cords. You might even want to consider adding a second recessed outlet for possible future connections that may require power. As far as the HDMI conduit goes, I'd use at least a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit to give yourself plenty of room to fish the HDMI cable thru without any sharp bends or potentially damaging the connector ends when pulling it through. Running conduit is the ONLY way to future proof connections and it makes modifying/repairing any type of connection so much easier. The wall is open so there really isn't any reason not to run conduit.

It appears that you will have a gas or wood fireplace beneath and behind the tv/soundbar. Depending on how you use the fireplace, you will be generating some heat beneath and behind your electronics. That may or may not cause issues so just be aware of that.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Are you going to wall mount the tv? If so, then you could install the power outlet inside a recessed box, and then run a conduit of sufficient diameter for the power cord to the tv. That way if you ever change the tv, the power cord can be easily fished out and replaced. You could do the same thing with the soundbar HDMI and power cable. The sound bar power cable could be connected to the same outlet as the tv and then just run another conduit for the HDMI cable to the tv to keep it separated from the power cords. You might even want to consider adding a second recessed outlet for possible future connections that may require power. As far as the HDMI conduit goes, I'd use at least a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit to give yourself plenty of room to fish the HDMI cable thru without any sharp bends or potentially damaging the connector ends when pulling it through. Running conduit is the ONLY way to future proof connections and it makes modifying/repairing any type of connection so much easier. The wall is open so there really isn't any reason not to run conduit.

It appears that you will have a gas or wood fireplace beneath and behind the tv/soundbar. Depending on how you use the fireplace, you will be generating some heat beneath and behind your electronics. That may or may not cause issues so just be aware of that.
Yes, it will be wall mounted above the fireplace. I'm debating between the slimmest fixed mount or one that can tilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3729 Post(s)
Liked: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
Yes, it will be wall mounted above the fireplace. I'm debating between the slimmest fixed mount or one that can tilt.

Run conduit for your cabling. Mounts can easily be replaced. Cabling not so much if in-wall without a conduit.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Talk to your electrician, there may be some significant code requirements to do what you are describing. Plus I'm sure they will have seen similar situations and have good suggestions.
rpearlberg and bluewaves like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Talk to your electrician, there may be some significant code requirements to do what you are describing. Plus I'm sure they will have seen similar situations and have good suggestions.
Electrician here, definitely do not install an outlet in a wall, ever, lol.

I recommend smurf tube (it’s blue tubing) and a smurf tube wall plate. I’d recommend 1” to 1 1/4” for the HDMI ends to fit through. You can install the 1 gang low voltage old work bracket from Home Depot so you can attach the wall plate to something, these are insanely easy to install.

As far as power, take your recep out of the wall behind the TV and fish a romex down and put a recep behind the soundbar. You’ll need a remodel cut in but this is also really easy to do.

Let me know if you have other questions.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-06-2020, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just mount the soundbar against the TV and use the same outlet, if you're using a slim mount make sure you have a recessed box not just a recessed outlet, something along these lines https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...3-WH/207161878 to make sure you can plug everything in.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-06-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 293
False walls are a good thing. I see that it's too late now, but could have made a narrow "closet" just behind that wall.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #9 of 9 Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just mount the Soundbar to the bottom of the TV with a 30 dollar soundbar mount. Then you can plug in both the TV and the soundbar to the reccessed outlet behind the TV location.

Then run Flex conduit (1.5) to the side where your components will be going to run hdmi, and other LV cables if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page