Choosing my first home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-19-2020, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Choosing my first home theater

Hi everybody! I had been reading a lot for the past few days trying to figure out what to buy. I have a Optoma HD29Darbee projector and the idea is to buy a 5.1 set up to go with it, but also that can be used if I upgrade the projector in the future. I'm in an under $1000 budget situation, under $800 ideally, so this is what I'm looking right now:

Avr: denon avr-x2500h ($350)
Speakers: Jamo Studio Series S 803 ($200)
Sub: Jamo S 808 subo ($160)

Adding some shipping costs I'm around 800 there, as I said I can go to around 1000 but I'm a little lost, there are to many options, so any input will be appreciated
Thanks!

Enviado desde mi MI 8 mediante Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-19-2020, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there something driving you towards the Jamo besides price point? It's a good looking speaker with the wood accents but I'm not sure I could live with the "post holes" on the top. Are you planning on adding the Jamo S 8 ATM's for atmos in the future? Watched a couple reviews and the Jamo's are often referred to as bright/fatiguing unless if that is the sound signature you like. One of the review was of the Jamo's and the Elac Debut 2.0 which is what I currently have. You may want to check those out as an option I've never. owned a Denon AVR but they get a lot of love on the forums and don't think you can go wrong with that choice.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-19-2020, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughorgy View Post
Is there something driving you towards the Jamo besides price point? It's a good looking speaker with the wood accents but I'm not sure I could live with the "post holes" on the top. Are you planning on adding the Jamo S 8 ATM's for atmos in the future? Watched a couple reviews and the Jamo's are often referred to as bright/fatiguing unless if that is the sound signature you like. One of the review was of the Jamo's and the Elac Debut 2.0 which is what I currently have. You may want to check those out as an option I've never. owned a Denon AVR but they get a lot of love on the forums and don't think you can go wrong with that choice.
Thanks for the advice!! As I said I'm kind of overwhelm with the amount of options available, the Jamo is in the price range and I read good things for the price, but I will check the Elac as well, as any other advice I can get.
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-21-2020, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I was in a similiar situation and for $1000 all in purchased the system listed in my sig block:

All Sony:

STR-DN-1080 receiver
SSCS-3 Tower fronts
SSCS-5 Bookshelf rear surrounds
SSCS-8 Center
2x SA-CS9 Subwoofers

all bought during Sony's frequent sales. Sony has sales about every quarter that reduce the list price 40-50%

What would I do differently? Better single sub BUT the dual Sony's isn't too bad for $100ea plus the receiver is a bit more than I really needed.

14x14 Den

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #5 of 14 Old 02-21-2020, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedwilsononline View Post
i think this is best choice in cool budget get it now
Thanks, I'm looking for some options but for now I think this is going to be it. Having some doubts regarding the reciver, I'm between the denon 2500 and the 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I was in a similiar situation and for $1000 all in purchased the system listed in my sig block:

All Sony:

STR-DN-1080 receiver
SSCS-3 Tower fronts
SSCS-5 Bookshelf rear surrounds
SSCS-8 Center
2x SA-CS9 Subwoofers

all bought during Sony's frequent sales. Sony has sales about every quarter that reduce the list price 40-50%

What would I do differently? Better single sub BUT the dual Sony's isn't too bad for $100ea plus the receiver is a bit more than I really needed.

14x14 Den
That's some good data about the Sony sales, any idea when is the next one?

post #6 of 14 Old 02-21-2020, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If I was in a $800 - $1000 budget situation and wanted to install a HT system knowing what I know now after spending $15K on a HT system my first stop would be Craigslist than off to eBay. There is nothing wrong with good used AV equipment to get you up and running in that budget range. Lot of people have upgraded to 4K systems so there are some good deals out there to put together a nice 1080p system.

You might be surprised what you find out there.

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
post #7 of 14 Old 02-21-2020, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matruchoti View Post
Thanks, I'm looking for some options but for now I think this is going to be it. Having some doubts regarding the reciver, I'm between the denon 2500 and the 1600That's some good data about the Sony sales, any idea when is the next one?

Not sure but this the CamelCamel price tracker information for the SSCS3 Tower speaker, all the speakers tend to go on sale at the same time.

CamelCamelCamel SSCS3 Price Tracker

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #8 of 14 Old 02-21-2020, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Not sure but this the CamelCamel price tracker information for the SSCS3 Tower speaker, all the speakers tend to go on sale at the same time.
Great! I will keep an eye on this.
Thanks!

post #9 of 14 Old 02-21-2020, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post
If I was in a $800 - $1000 budget situation and wanted to install a HT system knowing what I know now after spending $15K on a HT system my first stop would be Craigslist than off to eBay. There is nothing wrong with good used AV equipment to get you up and running in that budget range. Lot of people have upgraded to 4K systems so there are some good deals out there to put together a nice 1080p system.

You might be surprised what you find out there.
I've thought about that, but the thing is that I will be buying outside my country, since it's way cheaper to buy in the US and ship it than to buy here, so the chances of having problems are smaller buying new stuffs, or maybe something refurbished, I'm still waving on it.
Thanks for the advice!

post #10 of 14 Old 02-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I've thought about that, but the thing is that I will be buying outside my country, since it's way cheaper to buy in the US and ship it than to buy here, so the chances of having problems are smaller buying new stuffs, or maybe something refurbished, I'm still waving on it.
Thanks for the advice!

Understand, I always found refurbished prices to be subjective and the term refurbished to be even more subjective. Example Amazon has a Denon AVR-X2600H Renewed for $399.99 and new is $649.00, so who or whom did the "Renew/Refurbished"? If I was buying refurbished I would want to buy from Denon or know that the item came from Denon and not some store open box sale. I did buy some refurbished Klipsch speakers off eBay once upon a time and they were perfect with no issues just like new.

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
post #11 of 14 Old 02-22-2020, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post
Understand, I always found refurbished prices to be subjective and the term refurbished to be even more subjective. Example Amazon has a Denon AVR-X2600H Renewed for $399.99 and new is $649.00, so who or whom did the "Renew/Refurbished"? If I was buying refurbished I would want to buy from Denon or know that the item came from Denon and not some store open box sale. I did buy some refurbished Klipsch speakers off eBay once upon a time and they were perfect with no issues just like new.
Exactlly, and even if they come with guarantee, the fact that I will be outside the US makes me think I will be safer with new stuff, I know there might be problems as well but I think the chances are smaller. Fingers cross...

post #12 of 14 Old 02-25-2020, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just put together a 5.4.2 system. Denon AVRS720W. Got lucky on this as it was given to me for free because it didn't work. Repaired $120.00
2 paridigm monitor 7v2 fronts, cc190v3 center , 2 mini monitor v2 rears, and used some old nuance surrounds I had in storage for atmos. Finally, 2 velodyne ct-12 & 2 dsl-r10 for subs.
$915.00 all in.
I recapped the speakers myself at an additional cost of just over a hundred bucks.
New this system would have cost over $6000.00.

Also just did a 3.1 for the secondary tv.
Avr1612, paridigm titan v2, jamo s40 cen, velodyne mini vee. 30 bucks in caps.Total cost including caps $365.00.

In this hobby upgraditis is rampant so deals are to be had. Particularly on used speakers. If you know what your wanting the deals come along. The first system was build over the course of a year. The second I put together in just over 3 weeks.

With the exception of a display I will never buy new again. In my area there are now atmos avrs selling on Kijiji regularly . Just waiting for 5.4.4 avr at a decent price. Then I'll sell the 720. So all this to say. Buy used.
Rich

Last edited by Rich 63; 02-25-2020 at 09:19 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 63 View Post
I just put together a 5.4.2 system. Denon AVRS720W. Got lucky on this as it was given to me for free because it didn't work. Repaired $120.00
2 paridigm monitor 7v2 fronts, cc190v3 center , 2 mini monitor v2 rears, and used some old nuance surrounds I had in storage for atmos. Finally, 2 velodyne ct-12 & 2 dsl-r10 for subs.
$915.00 all in.
I recapped the speakers myself at an additional cost of just over a hundred bucks.
New this system would have cost over $6000.00.

Also just did a 3.1 for the secondary tv.
Avr1612, paridigm titan v2, jamo s40 cen, velodyne mini vee. 30 bucks in caps.Total cost including caps $365.00.

In this hobby upgraditis is rampant so deals are to be had. Particularly on used speakers. If you know what your wanting the deals come along. The first system was build over the course of a year. The second I put together in just over 3 weeks.

With the exception of a display I will never buy new again. In my area there are now atmos avrs selling on Kijiji regularly . Just waiting for 5.4.4 avr at a decent price. Then I'll sell the 720. So all this to say. Buy used.
Rich
That sounds great, nice set up you have there. I'm actually looking for used stuff locally, but the things you get here, and the prices we have doesn't make it an attractive option, but I'm looking anyway... I think it's too risky buying used offshore, I will take a look anyway, maybe I found something I can't resist, but I doubt it

post #14 of 14 Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
That sounds great, nice set up you have there. I'm actually looking for used stuff locally, but the things you get here, and the prices we have doesn't make it an attractive option, but I'm looking anyway... I think it's too risky buying used offshore, I will take a look anyway, maybe I found something I can't resist, but I doubt it

Same locally to me, semi rural area so nothing good ever gets sold locally. Keep an eye out on the classifieds here tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page