• 1 Post By bochoss
  • 2 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Too much?

So this post is going to be a bit unusual (if there is such a thing here- hehe)

For the last few years I have been building my home theater. It turned out alright- a large Cinemascope screen, dual JTR 4000 subs, JBL Cinema 80ties style big horns with TADs, 4 channels Atmos in the ceiling, movie theater- style recliners, full sound treatment... etc, etc... "alright" is an understatement (at least in my book). It is a beast. It can and has scared folks when turned up a bit.

All this time while building I was thinking that once it is done, it will see regular use. My kids will want to watch movies, I would curl up with the wife and watch movies... when alone I would listen to my favorite music (the room was created with music in mind also) ... in other words- I will get my money worth. Or close to.

For the last year I have used it about once every three months. Kids dont want to watch movies. The wife watches her soup operas on tv and does not want to watch them on the big screen- too much hassle she says. I have watched couple movies and while I greatly enjoyed them (some times actually getting blown away how good they look and/ or sound) I somehow did not have the urge to watch or listen to something the next day.

But the problem I believe is me- The thought of turning everything on and sitting down to watch something is met with "meh" and general lack of desire to commit 2 hours or so watching something. Yes, I do have the time to watch- I just dont feel inclined to. Same with music - I listen to music a lot. Yet, given the option to listen to the fine sound of my theater and listening with headphones - I usually choose the headphones. The theater is just too much drama to be subjected to. I do not know how else to explain it.

looking back... I was full of energy building my theater and chased down pieces with great aplomb. But once it was done- it appears I am not very interested in actually using it.

So, my question is- is it just me, or there are other folks that feel in a similar way? Built a large, dedicated movie/ music setup and then... just letting it sit there? Maybe it is a stage? I have been into movies/ music all my life and I am not exactly a young person so it has been quite a few years dedicated to the hobby?

What the fcuk happened?

Thoughts are appreciated
Manisfive and shivaji like this.

Last edited by partcrash; 03-24-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 441
You may be a project guy.. the excitement and feeling of accomplishment of the build was what you really wanted but when it is done, it is time for the next project? I wish I had room for a dedicated room. But not sure how much I would use it. I hate watching a TV, wife does not mind. I historically did not watch TV and movies, that was my wife's hobby. But once I got into projection and watching a TV show was now more about being in the show than looking in the window at the little people in the box, it became more interesting. Having a 2 seater in the living room make is easy, it is no longer about how great it looks but about the story.. simple 2:1 stereo in a room with bad acoustics watching FIOS Low deff HD .. Kodi downloads and Ruko on 120" HP 2.8 is the best. Much more interesting when it is not about how good anything is. I also admit, if the wife didn't have the TV on all the time and did other things I like to do, I would not watch it much either.. Never enjoyed watching TV/Movies alone.
Manisfive likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
So this post is going to be a bit unusual (if there is such a thing here- hehe)

For the last few years I have been building my home theater. It turned out alright- a large Cinemascope screen, dual JTR 4000 subs, JBL Cinema 80ties style big horns with TADs, 4 channels Atmos in the ceiling, movie theater- style recliners, full sound treatment... etc, etc... "alright" is an understatement (at least in my book). It is a beast. It can and has scared folks when turned up a bit.

All this time while building I was thinking that once it is done, it will see regular use. My kids will want to watch movies, I would curl up with the wife and watch movies... when alone I would listen to my favorite music (the room was created with music in mind also) ... in other words- I will get my money worth. Or close to.

For the last year I have used it about once every three months. Kids dont want to watch movies. The wife watches her soup operas on tv and does not want to watch them on the big screen- too much hassle she says. I have watched couple movies and while I greatly enjoyed them (some times actually getting blown away how good they look and/ or sound) I somehow did not have the urge to watch or listen to something the next day.

But the problem I believe is me- The thought of turning everything on and sitting down to watch something is met with "meh" and general lack of desire to commit 2 hours or so watching something. Yes, I do have the time to watch- I just dont feel inclined to. Same with music - I listen to music a lot. Yet, given the option to listen to the fine sound of my theater and listening with headphones - I usually choose the headphones. The theater is just too much drama to be subjected to. I do not know how else to explain it.

looking back... I was full of energy building my theater and chased down pieces with great aplomb. But once it was done- it appears I am not very interested in actually using it.

So, my question is- is it just me, or there are other folks that feel in a similar way? Built a large, dedicated movie/ music setup and then... just letting it sit there? Maybe it is a stage? I have been into movies/ music all my life and I am not exactly a young person so it has been quite a few years dedicated to the hobby?

What the fcuk happened?

Thoughts are appreciated
I think maybe you need to consume an edible and then go into your home theater. I get burnt out sometimes too. We just need to find that thing that turns "for granted" things into new exciting things. Spend time building up a movie or a live concert Blu-ray. Read reviews about said item. Make the presentation of the movie or concert a special event that you plan your evening around. Good luck. I wish there was a silver bullet for what you're experiencing but I haven't found one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
@partcrash ...Why not combine the two interests? I own maybe 300 music (concert) dvd's and 0 movies on disc. For every one movie I watch, I probably watch five concert dvd's. And now with Youtube and Amazon Prime, just about any genre can be found. Nothing better than some live Stevie Ray Vaughan or Led Zeppelin on the big screen and the Denon setup at the same time.
I agree with the "project guy" idea. That is me. I really would rather build or fix something as compared to sitting for a couple hours. Which brings me to the edible comment above. Other forms, seem to make that sitting for a couple hours a lot easier.
Gary Mertz, Shadowed and Manisfive like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 947
I didn't go with a dedicated room. The area for mine is half of the main room downstairs which is about 24x30 in total.

I have 7.2.4 surround and 126" AT spandex screen. I also added a dedicated PC.

I loved the incredible sound and big screen experience, but I found I was hesitant to fire up the projector for mundane things like surfing the web, email, avsforum... The projector bulbs were $400 each from epson canada.

I added a large lcd tv to use in place of the projector for day to day and gaming use. Now I find I use it much more frequently. We have a pc steering wheel and wireless keyboard and mouse along with VR goggles and a large catalog of steam game titles.
Manisfive likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
At the risk of sounding cliché, Been there done that.

In my old house nearly 20 years ago I worked like you did and made a modest 12 person theater room out of an unfinished basement area. It was great as it was from the start deemed a man cave and there were no restrictions on what I did, so lots of black paint etc. It got a fair amount of use with friends and family movie nights as back then a 36”TV was still a big deal for most folks and here I had a 120” screen with a couple big subs and a 5 channel sound with those fancy DVDs and a 720p projector that made them look better.

UFC PPV fight nights were big as were IMAX nature movies and concerts.

After a few years the novelty wore off and the basement became more of a destination and a chore than plunking down upstairs and watching the new 42” 1080p flat panel with some cheap HT in a box sound. All our friends were getting similar setups. Very similar to what you are seeing. For the last 5 years at that house the HT got little use except for myself and I still greatly enjoyed it, but HTs are built to be enjoyed by a bunch of people at the same time and I always felt a little lonely using it that way.

Fast forward to 5 years ago and a change of homes. I bought a run down short sale home and did a total redo of the house that took me a couple years working alone. We were living in the house and doing the work at the same time and I had the HT packed away. One night I got the projector out and set it on a box used a sheet of drywall for a screen and a couple computer speakers and two lawn chairs and we watched a movie before bed. It was pure joy to eat a pizza have a beer and watch a movie together. Each day we would break down the makeshift theater and each night set it back up we got the process down to a couple minutes. Watching makeshift this way got me thinking about our HT needs and I started designing our new concept (media room) on the fly.

There was a small parlor beside the living room and I added an archway to make the room feel more a part of the living room but then again a separate room connected. We went with a single row of 4 seats. We eliminated all other TVs in the house except a built in 32” in the kitchen for news and morning shows and background TV when cooking. The media room is now not a destination but it is like our makeshift theater only always ready to go. The projector gets turned on at 6:00 every evening and goes off about midnight. It is a room where we want to be and enjoy together. It is treated like a theater and has light control. When it is used in the daytime Weekends we have BOC curtains that cover the archway we draw. It works with both some ambient light and also lights out. We watch TV and hard media and streaming and we have the option of swinging my laptop over my seat and it is then fully HTPC. Lately with the COVID19 going on we are surfing the web and finding both local and national artist doing free impromptu concerts. We find them surfing and then port them to the HT and enjoy them big and with quality sound and pizza and beer.

The room is also the hub for all the home audio and because of its location it gets used all the time.

Building a HT is like building a Hot Rod. I have friends into that as well. Some people build them and sell them to build another. Some people build them and just display them. Others build one and then drive it every chance they get. I want to be that last guy. Ours will never win HT of the month but I suspect we put 10X the hours on ours now. It is so nice IMO we go crazy waiting for some new movie to make it to the home market because we don’t want to spoil the movie watching it in a commercial theater.
airscapes and MRAYB like this.

Bud
post #7 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
we go crazy waiting for some new movie to make it to the home market because we don’t want to spoil the movie watching it in a commercial theater.
And you don't need to make reservations, No worries of sagging recliner, no one kicking your seat and no bed bugs to bring home!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #8 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
And you don't need to make reservations, No worries of sagging recliner, no one kicking your seat and no bed bugs to bring home!
Not to go wildly off topic, but I have been seeing a change in what motion pictures are and how they make it to our homes over the last few years. Then last year we get a true IMAX movie like The Aeronauts premiering in IMAX theaters made by Amazon and a week later I’m streaming it off Prime Video and playing it at home with IMAX immersion levels.

It makes me wonder with COVID19 as you mentioned bed bugs and I don’t know what is worse, but with all the negatives including cost for a family of 4 to go out for a movie, and this re-inventing of motion pictures as we know them what the future will hold. I wonder if this latest scare will even hasten the cycle or skip public theaters all together.

All this combined may be more OT than I first thought and it might be a resurgence in the direction of some form old or new of what is HT / Home Media. Flat panel TV is getting bigger and bigger in size but they have about maxed out in practical terms leaving a slot for projection to strive. I think from what I see of younger people though is they would rather have a viewing space more like mine and less like a dedicated theater. For the ones that 85” isn’t large enough they seem to want projection but in a less formal setting to fit the lifestyle.

Bud
post #9 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I sometimes worry about this if I build a dedicated theater. My current theater is in the living room (mixed use), and it gets used ALL THE TIME. Part of this is because it replaced the TV that was in there, so there is no other option to even use. Another reason is that the living room is a natural place to hang out.

But the main reason is that it is very simple. Turn on the projector, and select the input on the receiver. Done. Nobody else in the house has difficulty using it. The projector is cheap (BenQ HT2050), so I'm not worried about bulb life, and it holds it's lens settings perfectly. The only time setup takes longer is when switching lens settings for watching 2.35 aspect ratio content so that it fills the scope screen. I don't mind spending a couple minutes doing this, as the payoff is tremendous.

Do you have any pictures of your theater room? Is the interior design inviting to hang out in? I feel that one of the drawbacks of batcave theaters is that they aren't pleasant to be in (even though it benefits the image quality).
shivaji likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After reading @bochoss post it dawned on me what I’m suggesting that I did in my above post.

We made a room halfway between a living room and a home theater and placed it in a location accessible directly from the living room. That way the living room can have light colored walls and white ceilings and large bright open windows and be a room we enjoy to sit and read or listen to music or entertain. The media room has all the trappings of what you want in a media room but don’t really want to see in a living room. Black ceiling and dark walls and racks with equipment and shelves with media selections, and yes that elephant in the room most women hate the projector hanging down with cables running to it.

It is all right there two steps away and seems to be one space but two distinct different uses. Like bochoss mentioned taking the TV out of the living room kind of makes taking those two steps much easier. We have talked quite a few times about sticking a TV in the living room above the fireplace. That’s a place I hate seeing a TV anyway but is about the best place to have one if we wanted that. It is so tempting as the largest we could have up there would be around 50” and they are now so cheap. I really think it would only get used for something like a super bowl party where the media room max out at 5 people. She might sit in there and watch soaps instead of the kitchen.

It might be an interesting experiment getting a living room TV.

Bud
post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 414
You're like a dog chasing a car. It's fun, but you don't know what to do if you catch the car.

I used to be more anal about not turning on the PJ unless I had at least 2 hours to dedicate to it. But I've lightened up on that. There's been time the family goes downstairs to watch a couple of cartoons.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 2765
Sounds like project remorse We have a family room downstairs that houses an LCD tv (with 5.1) for everyday general use. We are not gamers so there's no cords or game controller clutter. Upstairs, we have a big bonus room that has the 65C8 and a much nicer audio system. That's where we watch movies that can be streamed in HDR (occasional UHD/Blu-ray movies) and some sports (when there were sports to watch). I made it a mixed use room so we have a small gaming table (board games) that my wife has currently taken over with a jig-saw puzzle. I can go for days at a time and not use the C8. There's also a closet that is full of board games and toys when little ones come over.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
What the fcuk happened?
bud16415 and partcrash like this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links