• 2 Post By stinkyonion
  • 2 Post By stinkyonion

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
15 year home theater remodel

I have a media room with white walls and ceiling and a cream carpeted cement slab floor. 15 years ago i increased screen from 90” to 100” and 10 years ago updated projector from panasonic ae10000 to epson 5020. Now work is light so whole room update and what i experienced.

First i repainted the walls to home depot behr “perfect tan”. Two coats. The behr website will tell tou how much any color will absorb, and i went from 20% (white) to 60% (perfect tan). This single change resulted in dramatic improvement of projected image and the room looks better. So next i painted the ceiling black 97% absorption) two coats which further Only modestly improved the image but also made the room look weird when not watching movies.

Next i replaced a old mirage 12”x2 400 watt subwoofer with dual svs pb3000. Svs recommended pb2000x2 for my room size (20x15 sealed on cement slab) but i went up a size to be sure. WOW. My old sub was state of the art 15 years ago and $1200. But it is one note boom that gives me a headache so usually dont turn on. The SVS perfectly blend into the soundstage so it is difficult to tell they are even on except richer base all the time. And when called for seismic thumps that are not boomy but rather still blend in. Dramatic improvement and no headaches even with much more volume. The thunder sequence first 60 sec of Open Range sounds better than real life.

Next the projector. I last upgraded to Epson 5020 and now the hdmi ports both blew. $700 to fix which is value of the projector. I wimped out and decided to wait for native 4k under $2500 so bought a hdmi to component converter for $25 and am using the component inputs. This works ok except with video games where the ps4 sometimes gives me red webs on the screen but they are faint and games still playable but clearly abnormal. Also some image flickering on my 4000 hour generic bulb was resolved with new $300 epson bulb.

The receiver is a Yamaha rx777. Not a fan of it. Dolby digital works ok but otherwise it always converts my bookshelf front speakers to large and uses them for the bass. I have to press “extra bass” to make the subwoofers get output, and then they share with bookshelfs. Living with it for now but cant wait to switch to Denon when economy improves.

Buttkicker amp croaked, kind of remember them just being annoying and almost never used. Bought the recommended Dayton 1000 watt amp for two chairs, and if it does okay will buy another to power the other two chairs. Taking forever to come from China though.

The screen is silver screen white 100”. It has 8 holes in it from when my dog chased a friends cat up the screen ( and then jumped off and ran up a $600 blind which was destroyed and other damage before clamped on top of friends head with all claws stuck deeply into scalp). I put some white duct tape behind the holes and i dont notice them anymore at all. Still going to switch to 110” which is as big as my projector will go from 11’ away ceiling mount. Was going to do grey but room dark enough now so stick with Silver Screen white matte. I view from 12’.

Room getting tons more use with dramatic improvements in picture and sound.

Thats it for now.
barryecohen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 156
We demand pictures!
barryecohen likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 453
The only thing I got out of that is; Some people should not be allowed to own cats.. Why on gods green earth would they bring a cat to someone else's house, WHO HAS A DOG? Sorry about the damage the cat did, but glad it ended up giving it's owner what they deserved for being so stupid.. Yes pictures of the guy with the cat attached would be priceless!!
Sonyad and barryecohen like this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have missed SO MANY important photos in the heat of the moment...his cat latched to his scalp, my dog facing off with a coyote, etc etc etc. Anyway, here is the media room:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9704.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2703562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9708.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2703568  
bochoss and pkinneb like this.

Last edited by stinkyonion; 03-30-2020 at 01:52 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

And I want to add that the TV next to the projector screen is awesome. I use it when I am on the elliptical, but also for a second person gaming, and second sports event. Works great. Enjoying the **** out of this Covid shutdown. Mostly Borderlands 3 on the Playstation4.

Yesterday watched Master and Commander with family. My 15 year old daughter didnt know what a subwoofer was, LOL. Now she does! I had the receiver turned up to -10, the new Buttkicker amp finally arrived, and the dual SVS PB3000 subwoofers were not messing around. Was indeed impressive. My daughter was screaming with the full cannon broadsides. Noone complained about the volume as it was fine most of the movie, just the rare battle scenes had to be 110db or more. Wow! Worth every penny.

Last edited by stinkyonion; 03-30-2020 at 02:13 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2020, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great! The sofa looks very comfortable.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2020, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankyo View Post
Great! The sofa looks very comfortable.
There is no couch. A couch might have been better.
Those are 4 individual 15 year old microfiber home theater chairs. And they are very uncomfortable. No lumbar support, headrest too high, armrests too high. The knee to butt seat length is WAY too long (look at photos above). Im 5'11 but the chairs are for like 6'5". With some pillows strategically placed they become useable. Each one has a buttkicker, but i only have enough amp (a single 1000 watt Dayton) to power chairs 1 and 3, but chairs 2 and 4 get indirect vibration at about 75% of the other two. They are supposed to get 500-1500 watts per chair. If I didnt have more pressing needs I would replace all those chairs. 15 years ago they didnt design home theater chairs very well. The only good thing is that after 15 years and a dog that sleeps in them every day, they look brand new. I dont allow buttered popcorn which is supposed to be the nemesis of microfiber. But the microfiber is claw proof, she claws them all the time and it does nothing. Leather theater chairs would be demolished (but immune to buttered popcorn).
bochoss and Vankyo like this.

Last edited by stinkyonion; 04-10-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page