10+ year old A/V Equipment - what to do?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
10+ year old A/V Equipment - what to do??

Hello and thank you in advance for any help! This is my first post and I hope you all will be patient as we figure out a solution to my conundrum. I have come into some older mid to high end equipment this week and am debating what to do with it. My current system consists of the following: Onkyo TX-RZ810 receiver, Klipsch Synergy Series fronts, center and surrounds with a Velodyne VA1210 sub. All speakers are circa 1998/99. The primary use is for movies played through an LG 4K Blu Ray or streamed movies, all viewed on a Vizio PQ65-F1. The room is approx. 18'x30' as it is a living room that opens up into the dining room. That room is open to the kitchen and other parts of the house. There is no carpet in the house with mostly laminate flooring. Very few windows and 8" ceilings.

A friend of a family member has had some life changing events and now I have a garage full of the equipment noted in the list below and no room for it all in my house. Keep? Sell? Trash? None of it is in "like new" condition but I would judge most as fair to good condition. I am not interested in keeping pieces like the Nak cassette player, laser disc, etc. The Triad InRoom Center Channel has damage to the surround on one of the 10" drivers and one of the mains' large drivers. I would like to know where to source repair or replacement (would a internet sourced rubber surround kit change the sonic characteristics of the Scan Speak driver too much?). The larger Monster Cable power supply won't power up and makes a whistling sound when attached to power. The Krell amp will pop its protection circuit when powered up. The B&W's sound marvelous and the Triads sound great despite tears in two surrounds (they are the most delicate feeling surrounds I have ever touched). I don't have any remotes for the B&O equipment so any advice on how to test them would be appreciated. I have a Logitech Harmony and have read it is possible to program it to control the volume on the BeoLab 5's. Please help me decide on what I should keep and if it is worth making a sincere effort to sell any of the other equipment. I told the owner I would give it my best shot. Obviously, shipping is an issue considering the weight of almost every serious piece on the list. Plus, very few have boxes. Beware, your response will likely lead to more questions. If I need to post in a different forum, please advise. Thanks again to all!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AV Equipment List.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2701828  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-25-2020, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4105 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
most any amp built after mid 80's can be fixed easily and inexpensively if repairman is honest.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #3 of 3 Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
torii - I agree but I I'll need to do a bit of searching to find a qualified repair technician within 100 miles - maybe Atlanta. However, I don't think the Krell would find a place in my HTS. If I cannot sell or trade it, maybe it would be hooked up in a music only system if I can find room for it in the house. What I would really like are some opinions on what to definitely try to integrate into the main HTS (and why) vs the piece being worth trying to sell. I'm thinking my current receiver has new tech and enough flexibility for now and I could use its preouts to power the Halcro MC70. But maybe the high end Denon is a better choice? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page