Screen size suggestion for small den - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Screen size suggestion for small den

Im just planning ahead. Looking to buy a house that has a den thats 11x16x10 ft ceiling. I wanted to build a false wall and put my htm 12s behind a transparent screen but im not sure i would have enough room. Im planning on only have 1 row of 3 seats if possible. So i guess my question is what screen size would you recommend and distance to put my seats? i would like to have the seats away from the back wall if possible. Thanks for any input. Also is a false wall doable with that size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-27-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyslim View Post
Im just planning ahead. Looking to buy a house that has a den thats 11x16x10 ft ceiling. I wanted to build a false wall and put my htm 12s behind a transparent screen but im not sure i would have enough room. Im planning on only have 1 row of 3 seats if possible. So i guess my question is what screen size would you recommend and distance to put my seats? i would like to have the seats away from the back wall if possible. Thanks for any input. Also is a false wall doable with that size?
I site 14' from a 120" and if I could go wider I would.. It is personal choice and how much light you have from your projector.. AT is going to probably be a negative gain so you will need a projector that can support whatever size you do choose.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
You want to avoid placing your seats at half the room length as there is a room mode there that will cause your bass not to sound good at that location. I would place your seating at 10 feet so you have a decent amount of space behind your seats and the rear wall. In determining the screen size you should consider your preference for screen size, the width of the room, the throw of the projector and lumen output. Assuming you want the largest available screen you are probably looking at 120 inches for a room 11ft wide. You then need to make sure your projector has the necessary throw ratio to make sure it can light up that screen sufficiently from where you need to mount it. The more lumens you have the better when using a negative gain acoustically transparent screen. What projector and what screen are you considering? How deep of a false wall were you considering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2020, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
You want to avoid placing your seats at half the room length as there is a room mode there that will cause your bass not to sound good at that location. I would place your seating at 10 feet so you have a decent amount of space behind your seats and the rear wall. In determining the screen size you should consider your preference for screen size, the width of the room, the throw of the projector and lumen output. Assuming you want the largest available screen you are probably looking at 120 inches for a room 11ft wide. You then need to make sure your projector has the necessary throw ratio to make sure it can light up that screen sufficiently from where you need to mount it. The more lumens you have the better when using a negative gain acoustically transparent screen. What projector and what screen are you considering? How deep of a false wall were you considering?
My subs are 20 inch deep so maybe 20.5 inches for false wall. I plan on buying a sony or jvc 4k projector. My speakers are htm 12 but i may have to sell them and maybe get 1099 if i cant do a false wall. a 120 inch screen is like 9.5 feet so im not sure i have a whole lot of room to put speakers on the side of a 120. What are your thought? i havent looked at which screen yet
post #5 of 5 Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
My subs are 20 inch deep so maybe 20.5 inches for false wall. I plan on buying a sony or jvc 4k projector. My speakers are htm 12 but i may have to sell them and maybe get 1099 if i cant do a false wall. a 120 inch screen is like 9.5 feet so im not sure i have a whole lot of room to put speakers on the side of a 120. What are your thought? i havent looked at which screen yet
The reason why we need to know the projector is because that will determine the throw required to light up the screen you choose. If you want a 120" screen the JVC NX5 will require a throw of 12'6 from the lens to the screen. The projector itself is 20' long which means you will need a total distance of at least 14'2 from the back of the projector to the screen. You will want atleast 6 inches of space behind the projector to allocate for cooling and cable placement leaving you with only 16 inches for your false wall. A 100" screen only needs 10'4 for throw distance giving you an extra 2'2" to play with. A Sony VPL-VW295ES will need 12' of throw for a 120' screen and is only 18.25 inches long giving you an extra 7.75 inches for your false wall which would work for your needs. This is based on specifications from ProjectorCentral's calculator. With only 16' of depth (minus your false wall) and a 120 inch screen you will limit your projector choices. If you could go with a 100 inch screen you will have a lot more options.

I am in a similar situation as I own a JVC X550R (older e-shift 4k projector) and I have a room that is 15ft long. To complicate matters for me I have an attic access panel sitting right where I would need to mount my projector to get me an extra couple of feet for either a false wall or a larger screen than my current 100 inch. I am looking at building some sort of slide that would allow me to push back the projector when in use and pushing it forward when I need to access the attic but I am not sure if I am going to do it. An acoustically transparent screen with the speakers behind it really is ideal for home theater if you can get it to work but I may not be able to do it with my circumstance. Since you are in the planning stages you have time to get it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page