• 1 Post By rfbrang

post #1 of 9 Old 04-06-2020, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 89
To drywall or not to drywall

Hey guys,

Been working on my first dedicated theater in our new house for the last 3 months, and things are looking as per expectation so far. Build thread on:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-s-place.html

I just ordered black fabric to cover the walls, but now I'm not sure wat the impact on the sound is when I don't put in drywall first and just cover the walls directly with the black fabric. It's much less work, and I can leave everything that's already installed just there.

I know that probably the sound power will suffer, but I don't listen anywhere near reference, so would it still be a disadvantage ?

Looking forward to any feedback, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think the drywall is necessary for a finished room appearance. Yeah it is a lot of work. After drywall was up i wouldnt apply fabric because it will hurt your resale value, a little ambient light is a good thing, and removing the fabric will demolish your drywall. Yes, absolute black gives best picture quality but you wont care after you smack your shin walking into the coffee table. I think sound efficiency is moot because you will easily get it louder than you can stand in that small room.
Putting up fabric directly just wont look polished.
Put up your furring strips, run your cables, then drywall and paint. Better still, hire the pros for the drywall, its grueling to do by yourself.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-10-2020, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, but my only concern is sound quality/power. My front wall is also only fabric and looks extremely good so I'm not concerned about the looks being not OK at the end. Resale value doesn't matter as we juist built this house 6 months ago and we hope to be here for at least 20 years or so .

The room is fully wired, so I can start finishing the walls now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2020, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Yes to sheetrock. Is that just nailer strips and insulation behind it?

If so, might want tot go plywood under the sheetrock on the ceiling and slants so you can hang stuff anywhere on the walls.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2020, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
Yes to sheetrock. Is that just nailer strips and insulation behind it?

If so, might want tot go plywood under the sheetrock on the ceiling and slants so you can hang stuff anywhere on the walls.
Are you saying this because of sound quality/power or because of another reason ?

I don't want to hang anything on the ceiling and walls. Everything that needs to go up, is already up (projector, atmos, lighting, etc).
post #6 of 9 Old 04-11-2020, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorisdriesen View Post
Are you saying this because of sound quality/power or because of another reason ?

I don't want to hang anything on the ceiling and walls. Everything that needs to go up, is already up (projector, atmos, lighting, etc).
Sound quality yes, but also other reasons.

Sound quality - Right now you are have absorption without any layer but isulation. The first layer of sheetrock will stop a lot of mid and higher frequencies from being absorbed or escaping all together. Multiple layers will help enhance that by keeping out outside noise (wind, traffic, neighbors dog, etc). This would be enhanced with something like green glue.

Other reasons - First, there is always something to add. For instance, once a barrier is added, a ceiling cloud will help clean up in room reflections from the slanted ceilings. A solid backing layer can hold more weight if you go the diffusion route.

Second, you want the barrier to be a consistent seal for moisture. So I'm pretty sure you want to remount your speakers within the sheetrock shell. A osb/plywood backer layer is forgiving if you miss the nailers when remounting.

Our Old Space
New House

Last edited by rfbrang; 04-11-2020 at 07:55 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-11-2020, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

I should have asked. Is your roofing asphalt shingles, or something else like stone? Are you in a noisy environment like a city or suburbs?

Nice job on your speakers too, came out great. You have nerves of steel using the track saw on the floor!
jorisdriesen likes this.

Our Old Space
New House
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

Couldn't be bothered actually to start with drywall now, and went with black fabric. Looks very good. Will do REW measurements in a week or 2 to see where we're at.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2020, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
I should have asked. Is your roofing asphalt shingles, or something else like stone? Are you in a noisy environment like a city or suburbs?

Nice job on your speakers too, came out great. You have nerves of steel using the track saw on the floor!
There's almost no outside noise here, we live in a very quiet area with practically no traffic, businesses, etc.

Thanks for the compliment on the speakers, I'm very happy with how they turned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page