Whole House Audio Video Advice - New Home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-26-2020, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Whole House Audio Video Advice - New Home

Building a new home and want to start off right. Have a drywall meeting July 1st so I have time to determine where and what I want speaker placement. I feel kind of confused. Thinking the AVC-X8500H is an all in one solution for 3 of my zones

There will be (4) four locations with 60" high in-wall runs - Living, Den, Pool/Lani, Master Bed
Included are Coax, Cat6, Spreaker Runs, Electric - 20 AMP in Livingroom & Den - Other 2 bedrooms will have TV
Question, Should I have HDMI run from living room AV Unit to pool TV? See below

Ceiling speakers to go in: Living Room, Den, Guest Bath off Pool, Master Bath, Pool/Lani Outdoor TV Area and for pool

Living Room - I was thinking of having the Livingroom drive the Living room, Pool/Lanai, guest bath off pool.
Master Bedroom - Run Master bedroom and Master Bath
Den - Dedicated to Den

Old Equipment dated but available to fill in holes - Denon AVR-4308CI and AVR-3312CI - 4 Canton CT-1000's - 2 Canton Karat 930 - 1 Boston Acoustics VR12 Center - 1 Vienna Acoustics THEATRO Center - 2 NHT Super Ones - 2 Mirage Nanosat Smalls - 1 HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer - 1 Sunfire True Subwoofer - Oppo UDP-205 (Company stopped) will need a new player.

Living Room
I was thinking of the Denon AVC-X8500H to drive the living room, pool/Lanai and pool bath - My only concern is that it's a 2018 model and could be outdated already for more advanced HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Surround codec's??? I could be very wrong

Living Room - No wall for rear speakers must use ceiling - TV Wall to have standard Center, Left, Right, Sub. Ceiling 4 speakers. Was thinking of LG E9 Glass 65 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/AI ThinQ.
1. 15 ft Ceiling in Living Room. The placement of the four speaker will be critical, as well as the speakers themselves. The room is big and my wife does not want big speakers all over she does not like my Canton CT-100's

It's a big 3 sided room 40ft by32ft with the back open to the kitchen. One side is floor to ceiling glass. So the only real place to put speakers is on the facing TV wall and the celing. As of now I have 4 speakes being pre-wired to be placed in the ceiling I was hoping this would allow for 5.1.2. I have the HSU ULS-15 MK2 front firing Subwoofer and it matches the depth of a floor to ceiling wall unit being built.
2. I'll need all new speakers unless by some miracle any of the speakers I have now will work. I don't even know if the Boston Acoustics VR12 Center or the Vienna Acoustics THEATRO Center are up to today's standards.

I've never had in ceiling speakers before and I've never listened to one that was musical. They have sounded distorted, thin, no depth or imaging. I have no idea what to buy or even audition. I'm worried about this.

Patio TV Area - So Confused! Cant keep Stereo outside
1. Have pre-wires going up for (4) speakers in back, that are wired to the living room AVC-X8500H
2. Wondering if soundbar will be enough out there with the positioning of two of the four speaker over the TV seating area and others pointing to BBQ seating and Pool.
3. Have coax, CAT6, electric on TV wall - wondering if I should have HDMI run from the living room there??? Thinking of people watching movie inside and out or sports. Don't mind the tiny cable box outside if they want something different outside. But how would the outside TV get that sound from the the outdoor speakers if not using the cable box in the livingroom???? So confused here!!!
4. Have hard-wired wi-fi router extension outside for pool/patio. Wondering if this will help to control the AVC-X8500H in the living room from outside.
5. Also wanted wi-fi streaming of pool/patio/ on the opposite side of the pool to two portable Sonos moves - I DON'T KNOW if the Denon AVC-X8500H will allow me to stream from it as a source so the same music or tv source can be played on the wi-fi speakers.
6. Wondering if Klipsch KH0-7 or Polk Audio Atrium 6 best for outdoors. Or other???

Pool Bathroom - Right off the Patio TV Area - having it wired for two ceiling speakers from AVC-X8500H
1. Don't know what speakers to put in ceiling?

DEN

The den will be by itself but want a Denon that can also connect with the others so I can always stream or be a source.

1. Would like to use my four Canton CT 1000's as front and rear L&R just because to me they are still warm, rich, musical, defined and the imaging is good. I was thinking of a 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 in the room it's where I'll watch and listen most.
2. I'm open to new speakers but don't want to miss the sound they envelop me in now. If small speakers can do the same or better, very open to them
3. The room is 20x22 with 10ft ceilings
4. Same TV as in the livingroom G E9 Glass 65 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV
5. Want to stream my music collection from the room most in FLAC if that in any way affects which Denon to get.

Master Bed & Bath

1. TV will have 60" high coax, cat6, speaker wire from bathroom - soundbar is fine for TV
2. Only need to drive ceiling speakers in master bath would like a Denon unit that will stream with all the others.

NOTE: If I'm thinking of this wrong, OPEN to all advice in the entire house. first time for me.

Garage workbench, and two other bedrooms will have COAX. Will be adding most light controls in the house to Alexa. Open to using the system for audio controls too. Security system fed through coax.

Thank you for reading, helping, offering any advice. Best regards, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Am I in the wrong forum?

Hi, I'm new here. Gid I post in the wrong forum? Thank you
post #3 of 4 Old 05-27-2020, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Technically, yes, this is in the wrong place.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/

That is the subforum for whole home audio (and video).

You have indicated you are building a new home. This will make many people jealous because you have the opportunity to wire your home without stripping your home to the studs! Drop wire everywhere. Speaker wire, network cable.. be liberal. Who knows what rooms you will want to have security cameras or in wall speakers in the future. If you pre-wire, it will be IMMENSELY easier to add to your smart home. Check out this informative video:

Also, unless you are made of money (and if you think your Denon 8500 needs an upgrade, you might be lol ), I tend to think video distribution is no longer needed. It is far easier, economical, and modular, to simply place streaming devices (apple tv, roku, shield, fire stick, whatever...) at each TV rather than investing in an HDMI matrix. However, if you are prewiring a new construction home, I'd probably go ahead and drop the wires for it because the expense of dropping wires at this stage is basically zero relative to the rest of the system.

If it were up to me, I'd invest in a wired whole home audio system. Something like this: https://www.htd.com/Products/Whole-House-Audio/Lync which would be a pain to install with sheetrock up, but with new construction would be a breeze. You can also go the SONOS route, but they aren't mutually exclusive. I know a guy who has an HTD Lync system and uses a SONOS port so whenever he wants to use the SONOS ecosystem, he can (and he can hear it in any of his 12 audio zones). I'd strongly recommend dropping the wires during construction as to not "close any doors"

As an example to the power of the HTD Lync whole home audio system, think of this. You get 6 centrally located inputs that can play to any zone. In addition, at each zone you get one input which can also be played in any zone. For instance, imagine a guest bedroom with a TV where you have installed a pair of in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. You can use the audio from the TV and use that as your input to the whole home audio system... so the audio from the guest bedroom can be broadcast out to the pool if you so desire.

Last edited by steveklein; 05-27-2020 at 03:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-29-2020, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU. I appreciate your expertise and the time you took to help. The links are most interesting. Its wonderful advice. Best regards,Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page