HDMI input switching - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2020, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI input switching

My setup currently has an AppleTV going to a receiver via HDMI, which is then connected to a TV via HDMI with ARC. Normally this setup works great. I can watch content on the TV and it will send audio over the HDMI ARC to use the receiver for sound. Or, I can stream to the AppleTV through the receiver and the TV will automatically change inputs to view the content and use the receiver for sound. I'd like to maintain this ability as one mode of operation.

Now, what I'd like to also do is to sometimes stream to the AppleTV and display on the TV, but use the TV speakers for sound instead of the receiver. Then, separately stream music to the receiver. I was hoping to just do something simple like get a second AppleTV and connect it directly to the TV for this purpose. The problem is that as soon as the TV plays this input, the TV sends the audio over the ARC back to the receiver which automatically changes inputs from the music to the TV output. To get it to work I need to also disconnect the HDMI ARC cable between the TV and receiver. I don't want to disable the automatic HDMI input switching on either the TV or receiver, so we don't have to manually change inputs for day-to-day use. How can I get this setup to work in both modes (using two different Apple TVs is fine) without needing to connect and disconnect the HDMI ARC cable each time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2020, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 131
You could always get a harmony remote and have a dedicated activity for that scenario. Then add in a command to disable the Arc in the power on sequence and have it enabled in the power off sequence.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2020, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
You could always get a harmony remote and have a dedicated activity for that scenario. Then add in a command to disable the Arc in the power on sequence and have it enabled in the power off sequence.
Honestly, I'm afraid of adding more complexity; the system is already fragile and has enough issues.. Could a simple bi-directional HDMI switch like this work (https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-4...0949199&sr=8-3) between the TV ARC and receiver? Switch it to A and they are connected and switch to B and they are disconnected? If so, is there such a switch that supports 4k Dolby Vision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2020, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 131
A 1x2 hdmi switch would work. It's not automatic like you were stating you wanted. But it will do the trick. You're just adding the 2nd output on the switch to another input on the TV.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 06-06-2020, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I tried this switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SWJG2DY and it supported both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Unfortunately, it did not support HDMI ARC. So, normal TV and Cable audio wouldn't work when connected. Looking at similar switches on Amazon some also explicitly say they don't support ARC. Does anyone know of a bi-directional HDMI switch that does support ARC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
hdmi , hdmi (arc)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page