Sales rep says I need to spend $2,500 - $3,500 on a receiver with Room Correction - T - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Sales rep says I need to spend $2,500 - $3,500 on a receiver with Room Correction - T

So I’m doing a new home build and recently contacted a professional company just to get an idea on where I should place my speakers in the room and how much I’d need to spend for the install.

I’m doing a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 system and The Rep is suggesting that I need to get a receiver with “room correction” since the side surrounds may be placed a little ahead of the listening position. The models he suggested are Anthem MRX which range in price from$2500 to $3500?! That is waaaay outside of the budget.

Additionally, I have the option with the builder to flip the bathroom in such a way that the surrounds could be behind the searing position, but the sales rep said not to do that since they (the builder) would charge me a lot of money for that. Well, it would be cheaper for the builder to flip the bathroom than for me to buy a receiver that expensive!

So is a receiver with room correction necessary for my situation? If so, are their cheaper options?

(I’ve included two possible configurations with surround speaker placement for reference. In the first one, I’m flipping the bathroom layout to allow room for rear surrounds. In the second, I’m keeping the bathroom as currently designed but adjusting the windows on the left wall to so the side surrounds can be placed symmetrically. This is the option the sales rep is wanting me to use.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The Anthem Receivers are great if you can afford them. You don't mention what your budget for a receiver is, but around $1k seems to be a sweet spot for units like the Denon X3600 most of which have room correction. There are cheaper options.
eljaycanuck likes this.
post #3 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
The Anthem Receivers are great if you can afford them. You don't mention what your budget for a receiver is, but around $1k seems to be a sweet spot for units like the Denon X3600 most of which have room correction. There are cheaper options.

Thank you - i will look into that. So does room correction work well? Would it make it seem like the sound was coming from the sides instead of slightly in front?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ps-processors/
ALL receivers will have room correction. Yes, they will help adjust for your side surround speakers being slightly forward of your MLP, especially if you go with a 7.2.4 configuration. The sound will be coming from all around you - it's a visceral experience.
I have an Anthem AVR and love it. However, you don't need to spend that much if you don't wish to. Denon and Marantz (sister companies), Yamaha, and Onkyo/Pioneer make very capable AVRs and AVPs that will do everything you wish.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
The models he suggested are Anthem MRX which range in price from$2500 to $3500?! That is waaaay outside of the budget.
They are indeed pricey, but arguably offer one of the top room EQ systems available in this class. Great company, great support. But yeah, pricey....anything you buy though will have something kind of system.

Quote:
(I’ve included two possible configurations with surround speaker placement for reference. In the first one, I’m flipping the bathroom layout to allow room for rear surrounds. In the second, I’m keeping the bathroom as currently designed but adjusting the windows on the left wall to so the side surrounds can be placed symmetrically. This is the option the sales rep is wanting me to use.)
Don't go with the one with the 4 blue dots all essentially in a row. Go with the other one. My side surrounds are placed a bit forward of the listening position as well, totally fine to my ears in my space.

Quote:
Thank you - i will look into that. So does room correction work well? Would it make it seem like the sound was coming from the sides instead of slightly in front?
Room EQ works well in my space, but my space is pretty bad being asymmetrical and open to other areas. Everyone's space is different, but it's a nice tool to have and experiment with.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 277
If your budget is tighter yet, there are refurbished units that might save you even more and still have a warranty but most AVRs above $1000 have what you asked about.
post #7 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Seems pretty steep. Maybe if you are looking for something with DIRAC Live, but Audyssey XT32 and Sub HT EQ are not hard to come by. I paid sub $1k for a Denon X440OH which has both and I'm happy with my 5.2.4 setup. I'd add that my living room is much more complex than yours and Audyssey really helps smooth things out.

Edit: Additionally, I'd spend the $100 on a UMIK and some time with REW to measure the FR in your room first. Then, once you've seen what the room is doing, you can figure out what you need to correct the issues in your room.

Last edited by RoBo370; 06-03-2020 at 04:18 PM.
post #8 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Anyone else here thinking his consultant is an "Authorized Anthem reseller"?

All mid to high level AVR's will include room correction capabilities, some better or easier to use than others.

If you are considering a 7.1.4 configuration you will need to be sure that your AVR will support the configuration without external amps or budget for those also.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post

You said it, but I was thinking it...
post #10 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 04:24 PM
RETIRED theater builder

Mentioned: 509 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6693 Post(s)
Liked: 6571
You need 11 channels of processing, not cheap, I buy Refurbished Denons all the time, they come looking brand new. https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html
Squirrel!, seggers, Jonas2 and 2 others like this.
post #11 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 73
In my honest opinion, it's not like the position of the side surrounds in the first image is drastically forward.
I think you'll be fine without any special room correction needed, especially if you have rear surrounds. Maybe move the couch forward a foot(?)
I've seen far worse compromises made. Image 2 is a worse compromise as all the surround speakers are now behind you.
Best thing would be if the stairs could be flipped, so that the door is in front of the surround speaker rather than behind it.
That is if it hasn't been framed yet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSH_1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2736792  

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #12 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 415
As others have said, Anthem receivers are great, but you don't have to spend that sort of money if it's going to cause you to make compromises with the rest of your system. The cheapest 11 channel receiver is the Denon 6500H but you can get a 9 channel receiver like the Denon 3600 for around $1K and add an inexpensive 2 channel amp (like Audiosource) for two of the Atmos channels.

Most people like the Athem Room Correction (ARC) over the Audussy room correction that Denon uses, but again, if budget is an issue, get the Denon and spend your money on the projector and room treatments.

Also, there is a lot of stuff you can do yourself to save money if you are so inclined.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #13 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post
In my honest opinion, it's not like the position of the side surrounds in the first image is drastically forward.
I think you'll be fine without any special room correction needed, especially if you have rear surrounds. Maybe move the couch forward a foot(?)
I've seen far worse compromises made. Image 2 is a worse compromise as all the surround speakers are now behind you.
Best thing would be if the stairs could be flipped, so that the door is in front of the surround speaker rather than behind it.
That is if it hasn't been framed yet...

Thank you for the reply and the suggested image - the house has not been framed yet, but I can’t flip the stairway without the downstairs being really weird looking. If i could, the configuration you suggested would be PERFECT! For the second image, now that you mention it, if i did that, I probably would not have rear surrounds. I would just have a 5.1.4 configuration and everything would be about where it should be. The wife is just not a fan of flipping the bathroom - she thinks it would mess with the flow of the room. I will probably end up going with the first image, although i do agree with you that it would make it important to have a the rear surrounds. Meaning I’d have to do a 7.1.2 setup or pony up for an 11 channel receiver to have 4 height speakers

barryecohen likes this.
post #14 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Dolby has a website of all the perfect locations for speakers, you should check that out. Keep in mind those locations are for a perfect world, you can and we all compromise to some degree. I have a 5.x.4 setup where the rears are not to the side like dolby suggests, they are on the side walls back behind the couch where it looks like you have space also. I love my setup without question, no issues. Home theaters are full of compromises, but one thing most of would agree about not to compromise on is the atmos speakers.... do all four without question.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
Dolby has a website of all the perfect locations for speakers, you should check that out. Keep in mind those locations are for a perfect world, you can and we all compromise to some degree. I have a 5.x.4 setup where the rears are not to the side like dolby suggests, they are on the side walls back behind the couch where it looks like you have space also. I love my setup without question, no issues. Home theaters are full of compromises, but one thing most of would agree about not to compromise on is the atmos speakers.... do all four without question.

Thank you for sharing your experience - i think i have it set in my mind that everything has to line up exactly like Dolby recommends, but I’m sure the comprise would not be terrible if i have to.

barryecohen likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 06-03-2020, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
avr's are coming out end of year/next year with 8k support/hdmi 2.1 if thats important to ya.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #17 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
avr's are coming out end of year/next year with 8k support/hdmi 2.1 if thats important to ya.

Torii is right - AVR's with HDMI 2.1 should be out by the end of the year but if you need an AVR now, I wouldn't sweat not having HDMI 2.1. Why, well HDMI 2.0 that current receivers have will do 4K @ 60fps and the only 4K that might do more than that is the next generation gaming systems. To take advantage of HDMI 2.1 you would need a receiver and projector to both have HDMI 2.1, and my guess is it will be 2022 before we see any good HDMI 2.1 projectors.

As far as 8K goes, I'm not sure I'd worry about that either. Even today there are only a handful of native 4K projectors (JVC and Sony) under $50K, so my guess it will be four or 5 years before you see any affordable 8K projectors at the earliest. I'm also not sure the human eye can tell the difference between 4K and 8K at most viewing distances, so I'm not sure 8K isn't a solution looking for a problem. Perhaps most of all, I don't think we'll ever get 8K sources. Somehow I don't see another Blu-Ray format, and they can't even give us decent 4K streaming - even the best 4K streaming (itunes) looks about like a 1080p blu-ray, and doesn't sound as good.

To sum it up, I wouldn't worry about HDMI 2.1 unless you're a gamer.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #18 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, like I said before, Anthem is a good product - I own a couple of pieces of Anthem gear, and had a much loved AVM20 processor from them in my first HT Room, but if you're on a budget there are better options. Spend your money on a projector and speakers/subs instead.

Everything is out of stock due to COVID, but once it opens back up, this is the receiver I would recommend:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...019-model.html

If you want to do 7.1.4, the Denon above will decode it you just need to add a 2 channel amp for the two Atmos channels that the Denon can't power. Here is a popular cheap option:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...amplifier.html

If you want everything in one box, this is your cheapest option:
https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...2ea154ec006a99

Since it sounds like you are on a budget, are you open to DIY for some options?

You can build a very nice fixed projection screen for around $200.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...tructions.html

I also recommend you check out DIY subs as you can get a lot more performance for your dollar. There are lots of good option, but this one is hard to beat on a budget.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html

DIY speakers are excellent values too, if you can finish them to meet your needs.
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...e-theater.html

Since you are starting from scratch, I'd also add a few recommendations:

Run any wiring that you think you might ever need before the walls are finished. For example, while I only run 7.4.4, I pre-wired for 9.4.6 in case I ever want to run more speakers. Cables are easy to run now and pretty inexpensive to do, but after the fact are difficult and more expensive to do.

Decide what you want to do for soundproofing now? Are you doing double 5/8" type X drywall with Greenglue? Soundproofing can add cost to the project, but it is something that you need to think about how important it is or isn't to you as it's hard to do after the fact.

Run Ethernet to where your equipment rack is going. You'll want that instead of WiFi for streaming 4K. (In fact I'd run Ethernet to every room in the house)

Look at doing a power bridge from your projector to your equipment rack. That way you can run your projector to a UPS. In case of a power outage, this allows the cooling fans on the projector to keep running after shutdown as normal and protects your expensive projector.

Not just an HT thing, but run whole house surge protection. It's not very expensive but will protect everything in your house.

Run conduit from your projector to your equipment rack. One day you may need to run a new cable to your projector and without a conduit, it's a big ordeal.

Make sure you get a good HDMI cable. You don't have to spend a ton (Monoprice has them), but get a certified 4K 18gps cable and test it with a 4K /60 source prior to installation. Some cables will not pass a 4K/60fps signal. If your HDMI run is over 25ft you'll want a fiber optic HDMI cable rather than copper.
Audiophile75 likes this.

post #19 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Torii is right - AVR's with HDMI 2.1 should be out by the end of the year but if you need an AVR now, I wouldn't sweat not having HDMI 2.1. Why, well HDMI 2.0 that current receivers have will do 4K @ 60fps and the only 4K that might do more than that is the next generation gaming systems. To take advantage of HDMI 2.1 you would need a receiver and projector to both have HDMI 2.1, and my guess is it will be 2022 before we see any good HDMI 2.1 projectors.

As far as 8K goes, I'm not sure I'd worry about that either. Even today there are only a handful of native 4K projectors (JVC and Sony) under $50K, so my guess it will be four or 5 years before you see any affordable 8K projectors at the earliest. I'm also not sure the human eye can tell the difference between 4K and 8K at most viewing distances, so I'm not sure 8K isn't a solution looking for a problem. Perhaps most of all, I don't think we'll ever get 8K sources. Somehow I don't see another Blu-Ray format, and they can't even give us decent 4K streaming - even the best 4K streaming (itunes) looks about like a 1080p blu-ray, and doesn't sound as good.

To sum it up, I wouldn't worry about HDMI 2.1 unless you're a gamer.
I am not a gamer, but do want to future-proof my purchases as much as possible. My home is not expected to be completed until December, so it might be prudent for me to do any pre-wiring HDMI cables with HDMI 2.1, but hold off on purchasing new equipment until devices that support HDMI 2.1 are out and reasonably cost effective. I'm not opposed to just using my existing 5.1 setup in the new house for a little while - it would give me the opportunity to save more for my long-term setup!
post #20 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
If they are recommending and selling Anthem, well, sure. I'd assume they would be. So what? Is recommending an Anthem product some kind of shady act?

Quote:
I will probably end up going with the first image, although i do agree with you that it would make it important to have a the rear surrounds. Meaning I’d have to do a 7.1.2 setup or pony up for an 11 channel receiver to have 4 height speakers
7.1.4 is great if you can manage it, but if you had to choose between 5.1.4 and 7.1.2, I'd recommend 5.1.4.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #21 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like Denon released their new models today with HDMI 2.1 so you are looking at the Denon 3700H or another x700H model. Put any HDMI runs in conduit so you can replace them later. My first theater I ran component video and DVI in wall with no conduit and a year or so later HDMI came out. Even if you had an HDMI cable in wall from a few years ago it wouldn't work now for 4k/60. It's not if you will need to replace your display cable during the life of your theater but when.

post #22 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
If they are recommending and selling Anthem, well, sure. I'd assume they would be. So what? Is recommending an Anthem product some kind of shady act?
Absolutely not, Anthem makes great products with great customer service, but the OP said this was WAY out of their budget, and it sounds like the dealer made it sound like no other AVR has room correction. ARC is good, maybe the best room correction on the market today, but it's not the only one for sure.
Cheddarhead likes this.

post #23 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
and it sounds like the dealer made it sound like no other AVR has room correction.

Fair enough, but that was not my interpretation based on OP's comments.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #24 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Wow - So much good information here and so many factors I did not even consider. I am truly thankful for your response and that i posted this topic now (the builder has not broken ground yet), so I have plenty of time to do additional research and make additional changes that would help out long-term. I have bookmarked this post and will almost certainly end up purchasing the receiver and AMP you suggested. I do have a few follow up questions:

Quote:
this is the receiver I would recommend:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...019-model.html
If you want to do 7.1.4, the Denon above will decode it you just need to add a 2 channel amp for the two Atmos channels that the Denon can't power. Here is a popular cheap option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...amplifier.html
So that receiver looks like it has 11 speaker inputs on the back, which would seem like It would already support 7.1.4. DO i connect the AMP to it just to give the receiver more power than it can get from a standard power cable?

Quote:
Since it sounds like you are on a budget, are you open to DIY for some options?
I am not very handy at all; however, I think doing this could be a fun project. Thank you for the links. As far as the screen goes, I had been looking at Elite Screens and Silver Ticket (just because they seem well reviewed on Amazon). It seems like I could get a decent screen in the $3-400 range. Do you think a DIY screen would end up being better than those options?

Quote:
Run any wiring that you think you might ever need before the walls are finished. For example, while I only run 7.4.4, I pre-wired for 9.4.6 in case I ever want to run more speakers. Cables are easy to run now and pretty inexpensive to do, but after the fact are difficult and more expensive to do.
So this is where I might have a bit of a problem. The builder I'm using will not allow anyone but their people run surround sound wiring before closing. They only charge $150 for 5.1, which makes me worry that they are going to use cheap cables and probably not do a very good job. I may see if i can request that they purchase specific cabling - Is there one that you would recommend? Also, I will have full access to the ceiling top, and right side of the room after construction, as that is all unfinished space. So that may make it easier to run wiring after the fact (atleast in the ceiling)

Quote:
Decide what you want to do for soundproofing now? Are you doing double 5/8" type X drywall with Greenglue? Soundproofing can add cost to the project, but it is something that you need to think about how important it is or isn't to you as it's hard to do after the fact.
I had not even considered soundproofing but that is a fantastic idea. I am sure I could ask them to do double-drywall (not sure what the cost would be. However, I'm also not entirely sure what would actually be necessary and where. Here is the basic builder floorplan for my home.
My wife has to get up super-early for work and I am a night-owl, so I often watch a movie when she goes to bed ("Owners Suite" downstairs). I had been planning on just getting headphones, but perhaps soundproofing would allow me to still watch a movie (with the sound lower and subwoofer) off without disturbing her. Because of the unfinished space upstairs, there will be insulation on the top and right walls of the bonus room. Will that help with soundproofing, or would I need to do double-drywalls there, too? And what about in between the bonus room floor and 1st floor ceiling - is there anything I should suggest the builders install there? I know nothing I do will be perfect, but I'd like to do whatever I can (as economically as possible) to get the most bang for my buck for soundproofing. For example, if it increased costs by $10K, but only reduced sound by 5%, that would not be worth if for me. But if it were less money with a greater reduction in sound traveling throughout the house, then that would be worth it.

Quote:
Run Ethernet to where your equipment rack is going. You'll want that instead of WiFi for streaming 4K. (In fact I'd run Ethernet to every room in the house)
The builder will already run Ethernet to all the major rooms, but I had not really considered where my equipment would go. I've always just had a console under my screen to hold the equipment. Is there a reason it would be advisable not to do that here? If so, I could easily put equipment in the unfinished storage space (perhaps even behind the top wall where the screen will be). Would there be any concerns with having the equipment in an area that is not climate-controlled? It certainly gets very hot in the summer where I live and cold in the winter. It obviously would not be as harsh as being outside, but still.

Quote:
Run conduit from your projector to your equipment rack. One day you may need to run a new cable to your projector and without a conduit, it's a big ordeal.
I will definitely do this if I go with a standard ceiling projector, but I have actually been thinking about getting a short-throw projector like the Optima P1 - it looks sexy as hell and I like the idea of not having a projector over my head - I have read that projectors can get quite noisy and detract from the viewing experience. Do you have thoughts on these? Thank you!
post #25 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

1.) The back panel of the Denon 3600 (and 4500) are confusing as they do have 11 binding posts indicating enough channels for 7.1.4, but they only have 9 channels of amplification. I’m not sure why they do this. The cheapest receiver with 11 channels of amplification is the Denon 6500. To get 7.1.4 you would need to connect RCA cables from the Pre-Out section of the Denon 3600 to a stand alone amplifier like the Audiosource.

2.) I’ve not seen a Spandex screen and a Silver Ticket screen side by side so I can’t tell you for sure. I can say that I bought a Silver Ticket AT screen, and may try changing it out for Spandex. There are lots of AVS users that use Spandex screens even though they could afford pretty much any screen they want. Spandex has low gain (around 0.7 I think), and Silver Ticket advertises 1.1, but some testing has proven that it’s more like 0.7 as well. Just from what I have read, the Spandex should be the better screen, but there isn’t anything wrong with the Silver Ticket either. It’s actually a pretty nice screen (and frame) for the price.

3.) Speaker wire doesn’t have to be fancy- just make sure it’s 12/2 or 14/2 oxygen free copper (OFC) not copper clad aluminum (CCA). I guess CCA will work OK, but I’d make sure it’s 12/2 as it’s not as conductive as real copper. Monoprice seems to be the popular choice, and it’s what I used for my theater. Just search Monoprice 12/2 CL2 Speaker Wire. If you have the builder do it, see if you can provide the wire for them, mark the locations you want it, and have them put it up for you. I’d see if they will do it for the same $150 since you’ll now be providing the wire. (Have them try and cross power wires perpendicularly and not run anything in the same hole as power wires).

4.) There are far better experts than I on this forum about soundproofing and they can expound more, but insulation does very little for low frequencies, only mass does that, which in this case is drywall. To do it right you would want to do two layers of 5/8” Type X “heavyweight” drywall with Green Glue in between and isolate all the drywall from the walls using hat channel and clips – a builder may try to price gouge you for that, I don’t know.

5.) You wouldn’t want to put your equipment in an area that isn’t climate controlled. The cold probably wouldn’t hurt it, but the heat might. In my first theater I had my equipment near the front of the room “on display”, but I’ve gotten to where I find the lights from equipment distracting so I prefer my equipment in a separate closet or at least behind my viewing position. Different people like different things.

6.) I’ve never seen a UST projector, but they do look interesting. Probably not a bad way to go. Speaking of what are your plans to black out those windows?

post #26 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the tips!

Quote:
5.) You wouldn’t want to put your equipment in an area that isn’t climate controlled. The cold probably wouldn’t hurt it, but the heat might. In my first theater I had my equipment near the front of the room “on display”, but I’ve gotten to where I find the lights from equipment distracting so I prefer my equipment in a separate closet or at least behind my viewing position. Different people like different things.
I definitely would prefer to have everything in a closet somewhere, but that may be a down the road thing. I think I could eventually finish some of the unfinished space near the door at the top of the room and have a nice, climate controlled room, but that would be down the road. For the time being, I'll try to find a long, low console that has just enough height to accommodate the receive to leave plenty of room for the screen.

Quote:
6.) I’ve never seen a UST projector, but they do look interesting. Probably not a bad way to go. Speaking of what are your plans to black out those windows?
In my current home, we had black-out blinds installed in our master bedroom and they do a pretty good job, of keeping out the light, but a tiny bit still comes through along the edges. So that is an option, but i recently saw and add for these, so we are going to see how pricey that turns out being. https://www.hunterdouglas.com/lightlock
post #27 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
the denon 3600 avr gets lots of great reviews and scientifically measures/performs better than most. its 1100 dollars retail. I am waiting for a hdmi 2.1 model myself.
Mocs123 likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #28 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's replacement the Denon 3700H was announced today for a supposed June release. This of course was with the announcement of all the other Denon x700H models that all include HDMI 2.1. They announced an HDMI board to the flagship, the 8500H to make it 2.1 instead of a new model.

With the 3700 being a new model, and the supply of 3600's having dried up, I wouldn't expect any significant discounts for a while, though.

post #29 of 38 Old 06-04-2020, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post

No it isn't shady to recommend Anthem, especially if you disclose the relationship, my issue is when consultants are also authorized resellers and don't disclose that they have a financial motive to recommend an expensive product when a less expensive product might be more appropriate. (Not all do this but it is a temptation.) I'm a network consultant/contractor and all my contracts specifically call out that my company is NOT a reseller of any hardware, we will purchase hardware on behalf of a customer, usually the US Air Force but do not make a profit on hardware, just the design and installation work.
SuperFist likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 06-04-2020 at 05:28 PM.
post #30 of 38 Old 06-05-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
I spent $1499 for a new Denon AVRX6400H when the new model was announced and it has room correction. Keep your eyes open as Denon just released info on the next version in the last few weeks so last version(s) will start popping up on sale. Or as has been pointed out refurb units have gotten good reviews on the forum. Nothing wrong with Anthem components but suggesting you need one for room correction is misleading at best. I do agree you want room correction though.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page