Please help with suggestions on sound system for living room. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2020, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Please help with suggestions on sound system for living room.

Dear all,

I need some suggestions on woofer replacement. I attached my floor plan of the living room and the set up as suggested by the sales rep previously. I bought this set in 2012. The av receiver and subwoofer had begin to breakdown. I was thinking of changing to a soundbar but i read that soundbar can never replace or compete on the sound level of a basic 5.1 setup (Please correct me if i am wrong) and that usually the speakers can last very long.

As the setup are all suggested and put together by the previous salesman, i really not sure is it good but i am not a purist per se.. i just like going for some nice clear sound with good bass.

All my movies/musics are playing on TV from Netflix, Youtube, Spotify only. i do not play dvds or use any hi res players for music.

Hence, i decide to change to a simple 5.1 av receiver. This was done before i chance upon this forum. After changing, the woofer stop working soon after. I tried calibrating the av receiver using Denon auto calibrating mic without the woofer but the sound came out still abit flat( missing alot of bass) And most of the time the action sounds are loud but the speaking sounds are low. Not sure if i am clear on description here....

My conclusion is that i just need to replace the woofer, and i should able to restore the 5.1 to it former glory.

After going through the reviews here, i am considering the PB1000 at $950 but SVS agent told me to consider the SB2000 Pro at $1399(cause this is the replacement model for my current). My cheapest alternative is Polks Audio HTS12 at $700.

Current av receiver is Denon AVR-X550BT (formerly using onkyo TX-NR616)
All speakers(surround x2, floor standing x2 and center) are Tannoy Mercury V4
Subwoofer is SVS SB12-NSD - spoilt. (Repair cost SGD $430)

Please do advise. If my current setup not worth investing and i be better off (base on my usage of playing everything via my smart tv)with soundbar, i am open to that idea too. But my budget for a sound bar + woofer would only be below $4000.

Many thanks.

Nabel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	av setup.png
Views:	32
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	2736878  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-08-2020, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi hi

Anyone can give any advice?

Thanks
post #3 of 5 Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabel View Post
Hi hi

Anyone can give any advice?

Thanks
I think you'd get more notice posting on the speakers part of the forum. Lots of members there who can give you sound advice.
One thing that strike me odd is your quoted SVS prices. SVS and Amazon sell the PB1000 for $499.99 and the SB2000 Pro for $799.99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-08-2020, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
I think you'd get more notice posting on the speakers part of the forum. Lots of members there who can give you sound advice.
One thing that strike me odd is your quoted SVS prices. SVS and Amazon sell the PB1000 for $499.99 and the SB2000 Pro for $799.99.
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I will try your advice.

The prices you saw on Amazon are in USD excluding shipping to Singapore. Prices I quoted was from a local authorised SVS dealer.

Cheers
N
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabel View Post
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I will try your advice.

The prices you saw on Amazon are in USD excluding shipping to Singapore. Prices I quoted was from a local authorised SVS dealer.

Cheers
N
Ah, I did assume you might not be in the US, hence the prices but you didn't mention it so I assumed you are one Yeah, those things weigh a ton so I guess the price bump is expected for imported products.

Anyway, be sure to mention you're not from the US when posting on Speakers as the selection overseas is not the same as for the lucky Americans. I'm not American either, and I feel it stings every time I read about the many exciting options they have there that I can't get here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page