CuznEddy Cinema Project Begins - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1681 of 1703 Old 12-03-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWilhelm View Post
Hey RT! At the risk of hijacking CuznEddy's thread, just fire away with any questions you have. I'm happy to help out in any place that I have some knowledge. ...And it's totally not a hijack if it's a topic that Cuz is currently pursuing, right?

Also, pleased to make your acquaintance. You've been a fixture of many of the epic build threads I've read around here over the years.
Likewise! I have been known to visit a thread or two around AVS for sure. To answer your question it is not a hijack if we are on the same topic, even if it was Cuz wouldn't care.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1703 Old 12-03-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
You are still around? Figured you would have all of this HT stuff buttoned up and too busy watching! I have been hesitant to do the ripping/HTPC thing but the way Cyber describes it, actually make me very curious now about that option. Would be very nice to just pick a movie and not have to go through all the "crap". :-)

Happy Thanksgiving (late) and Merry Christmas (early)!

Regards,

RTROSE
I was testing TV's the other day, took a Blu-ray to use, there was 10+ minutes of crap. The worst is they lock you in and you can't skip it. This is where ripping wins. 2 hour movies are 2 hours.

Why can't they be smart about the disks, if it's older than 6 months or a year, your previews are probably old and wasted at this time. You don't have to tell me about a movie that's coming that came out 3 years ago.
post #1683 of 1703 Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Likewise! I have been known to visit a thread or two around AVS for sure. To answer your question it is not a hijack if we are on the same topic, even if it was Cuz wouldn't care.

Regards,

RTROSE
RT,
Good to see you back on here!

Cyber/RT/Smaks,
Please do feel free to Hi-jack. This will also be to my benefit as I try to figure a Blu-ray collection ripping / storage method.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 1703 Old 12-04-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I rip my collection losslessly, which takes up more room but is bit-for-bit perfect with what was on the disc. If that's what you're going for, MakeMKV should be your one-stop-shop. Grab a copy of MakeMKV, which has a free 30-day fully-featured trial. Rip your first movie and get it playing back before moving on to others. Maybe install Kodi, or Plex. See how you like it.

I'll be happy to answer any questions, and I'm sure other people around here have different insight or are more knowledgeable than me.
Cyber,

So looks like I will be coming to you with a few questions .
So I did install MakeMKV. Installation was a breeze, and it looks like I successfully ripped the first BR from my collection to a 2TB external hard drive (connected to my Windows10 PC via USB connection). However; a few learning curve hiccups:

1) Using Make MKV; I tried to view my ripped movie on my PC. I saw some beautiful video but no audio.

2) Then tried to view it thru my previously installed PLEX. But it seems PLEX has quite working completely (prevously I did see my music collection thru PLEX, however...it's also gone away), maybe I should uninstall PLEX and try a fresh PLEX installation?

Thanks in Advance for any suggestions

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1685 of 1703 Old 12-04-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Cyber,

So looks like I will be coming to you with a few questions .
So I did install MakeMKV. Installation was a breeze, and it looks like I successfully ripped the first BR from my collection to a 2TB external hard drive (connected to my Windows10 PC via USB connection). However; a few learning curve hiccups:

1) Using Make MKV; I tried to view my ripped movie on my PC. I saw some beautiful video but no audio.

2) Then tried to view it thru my previously installed PLEX. But it seems PLEX has quite working completely (prevously I did see my music collection thru PLEX, however...it's also gone away), maybe I should uninstall PLEX and try a fresh PLEX installation?

You should be able to just delete/clear the DB to reset things. I assume we are talking on your Plex server
post #1686 of 1703 Old 12-04-2017, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post
You should be able to just delete/clear the DB to reset things. I assume we are talking on your Plex server
Smaks,
Actually my plex server on my WIN10 PC appears to have just become completely unresponsive

Cyber,
Is is possible to even view a ripped movie (with audio) directly from MakeMKV

Gents,
I may need to do a complete computer cleanup, have a fresh start. or this may not be for someone as impatient as me

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1687 of 1703 Old 12-04-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Smaks,
Actually my plex server on my WIN10 PC appears to have just become completely unresponsive

Cyber,

Gents,
I may need to do a complete computer cleanup, have a fresh start. or this may not be for someone as impatient as me
Don't think, but mpc can, media player classic, free download and it works
post #1688 of 1703 Old 12-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Hey CuzEd,
I believe the standard Windows 10 movie player can't decode DTS or any of the more advanced audio codecs.
It's not a problem with your rip, it's a limitation of the Windows 10 movie player.
If you have a video streamer to your TV it should play fine.
If you want to play it on your Windows PC, download VLC Player and it should work fine.

Bill.
post #1689 of 1703 Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Cyber,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudDad View Post
Hey CuzEd,
I believe the standard Windows 10 movie player can't decode DTS or any of the more advanced audio codecs.
It's not a problem with your rip, it's a limitation of the Windows 10 movie player.
If you have a video streamer to your TV it should play fine.
If you want to play it on your Windows PC, download VLC Player and it should work fine.
Bill.
I've never tried viewing a movie directly within MakeMKV, but either way what it sounds like is a missing audio decoding codec. If you're unfamiliar with what a codec is, it basically just is a plug-in module for a media player that handles decompressing data (in this case, compressed audio to a waveform). I'd suggest installing either (not both) of the K-Lite Full or CCCP codec packs. Once you have that installed, just about any media player on your system should work fine.

LoudDad has a good point that any streaming end point you're playing on should work fine, provided it can decode the audio that you ripped. If you're having Plex transcode the movie rather than just serving the raw bits, there's a chance that it may need the audio codec installed, too. I can't fully comment on that since I've not used Plex.
post #1690 of 1703 Old 12-06-2017, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've never tried viewing a movie directly within MakeMKV, but either way what it sounds like is a missing audio decoding codec. If you're unfamiliar with what a codec is, it basically just is a plug-in module for a media player that handles decompressing data (in this case, compressed audio to a waveform). I'd suggest installing either (not both) of the K-Lite Full or CCCP codec packs. Once you have that installed, just about any media player on your system should work fine.

LoudDad has a good point that any streaming end point you're playing on should work fine, provided it can decode the audio that you ripped. If you're having Plex transcode the movie rather than just serving the raw bits, there's a chance that it may need the audio codec installed, too. I can't fully comment on that since I've not used Plex.
Cyber, Smaks, LoudDad;

Thank You all for the suggestions and input! I am in the process of some PC housekeeping, (and reinstalling a few of these application) when I am done I will report back here.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1691 of 1703 Old 12-06-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cyber, Smaks, LoudDad;

Thank You all for the suggestions and input! I am in the process of some PC housekeeping, (and reinstalling a few of these application) when I am done I will report back here.
Thank You All - Your suggestions and input have been most helpful!

1) I un-installed and re-installed VLC, but still no luck - not sure what's going on there

However:

2) I then installed Media Player Classic and BINGO >> verified that my test BR rip is playing back perfectly (via my PC).

3) I then revisited my Plex Server setup (and libraries) on my PC (in my 1st floor office) >> Good news, I can now see my Plex Server and collections, on a Panny streaming BR Player in my theater room in my basement.

So with some more tinkering and PC housekeeping I should soon be ripping in earnest

Thanks Again - Cuz Ed2

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1692 of 1703 Old 12-06-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You'll never look back. It's so much nicer.
post #1693 of 1703 Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ripping the collection can be a drag, but it's wonderful once you're set up.
post #1694 of 1703 Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ripping the collection can be a drag, but it's wonderful once you're set up.
Cyber / All,

Hope this finds everyone ready for the Holidays! I'm still working on BR ripping and streaming. Have ripped a 1/2 dozen BRs and that part is going well.

Then I had some success using PLEX to stream a movie from my PC to my ipad. This was promising enough that I purchased a month Plex pass, then later on was prompted to download the newest PLEX server version,

AND now the trouble begins. My PC is no longer showing as a device on my plex page, and when I launch PLEX i just get the spinning wheel "searching for a server" . Tried uninstalling and reinstalling PLEX server (several times) but no luck - can't get my PC show as PLEX device

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1695 of 1703 Old 12-24-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What about manually defining the server address?
post #1696 of 1703 Old 12-25-2017, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What about manually defining the server address?
Merry Xmas Smakovits!!
Thanks for the suggestion, probably what will need to be done. However, I am not that PC handy, and will need to study up a bit, or else I am likely to trash my PC in the process

I am also adjusting my original plan a bit (so that I do not have to rely on PLEX - although it would be nice to get it working at some point):

1) I successfully downloaded KODI, it also looks very promising
2) and I have decided to go with an NVIDA Shield as my client streamer, instead of ROKU

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1697 of 1703 Old 12-25-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Merry Xmas back at you.

With the shield, your real win is that it has Plex server capability built in so it is your server and player in one.
post #1698 of 1703 Old 12-27-2017, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Merry Xmas back at you.

With the shield, your real win is that it has Plex server capability built in so it is your server and player in one.
smaks,

I did a very extensive PLEX uninstall, then a fresh reinstall, and I think/hope all is now well

Checked my content via PLEX on my Shield remote device in my HT room and it now seems to be working as intended (will double-check tomorrow AM to be sure)

...and one question:
Do we know if PLEX can handle FLAC audio files (I think the answer is no)?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1699 of 1703 Old 12-27-2017, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

According to the internet, no, but I also read it depends on the player. Easiest test is to check status during playback to see if it says transcoding or doesn't play
post #1700 of 1703 Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
According to the internet, no, but I also read it depends on the player. Easiest test is to check status during playback to see if it says transcoding or doesn't play
Reason I asked; I have two music directories on my PC - one contains only MP3s , and the other only FLAC files.
PLEX was able to read and build a library form the MP3 directory, however it would not do anything with the FLAC directory.

As for video rips/playbacks thru PLEX; I'm happy, have successfully verified 6 BRs, and 10 family videos (all are uncompressed MKVs).

Appreciate your help !!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1701 of 1703 Old 12-28-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How are your flac files tagged, I would need to check if mine work.
post #1702 of 1703 Old 12-28-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Opened explorer and took a look. File type is identified as .FLAC
This is more of a PLEX music curiosity for me, because:

1) for occasional/casual listening via PLEX, the MP3 versions are there for me
2) I also have 3 Sonos players scattered around my house, for more serious listening, the Sonos system works fine with our FLAC collection

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #1703 of 1703 Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Hey there buddy! Long time lurker first time poster. :-) Anything note or newsworthy around these here parts?

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page