Best version of movies with multiple releases - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 295 Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I'd love to here your findings. Also any specifics about Iron Man US vs. JP. My experience with Sony JP HD/BD has been excellent. They put out quality movies.

Iron Man

Judging from the comparison pix (Xylon Vs. Zonadvd.com), the Paramount version looked a hair better in terms of contrast and black levels.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Close call but Region A, B, C is going to make Warner richer. Sorry Paramount and Criterion.

http://www.blurayreviews.ch/reviews/...ray-review.htm

2-Disc Special Edition review of the German release with 1080p screenshots.

First disc contains the movie.

Second disc contains extras and is not a digital copy.

Good job, Warner.

Blu-ray : 340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 295 Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hm I really dont want to purchase lossy blue rays.

Is there a u.s. version of trainspotting?

I really dont see much comparison between any of the 3, one review of the uk gave it an 8 for video, the japanese and canadian reviews I seen gave it mediocre reviews.

One person said the japanese looked like upconverted dvd.
post #183 of 295 Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post

The soundtrack on the UK version is DTS-HD High Resolution, not MA. I own the UK disc and checked it. The back of the cover just states "DTS HD" by the way. I also noticed that many reviews and forum members in several forums give (most likely unintentional) wrong information on this subject...

Is it region free or region coded ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 295 Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Hm I really dont want to purchase lossy blue rays.

Is there a u.s. version of trainspotting?

I really dont see much comparison between any of the 3, one review of the uk gave it an 8 for video, the japanese and canadian reviews I seen gave it mediocre reviews.

One person said the japanese looked like upconverted dvd.

Not sure on a US release. I changed the Dub part for the Japanese release, i got confused in a review, I think they started talking about the Canadian as having the Dubbed Monologue, not the Japanese.

I "think" all Trainspotting releases look similar.
post #185 of 295 Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Blacklac - Please add Sleepy Hollow (JP) to the list. Superior PQ and lossless audio.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #186 of 295 Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'd love to here your findings. Also any specifics about Iron Man US vs. JP. My experience with Sony JP HD/BD has been excellent. They put out quality movies.

I haven't had time to check this one yet but, regarding Transformers and CR I didn't notice any differece in PQ between japanese and US version. Only that JP version of CR is uncut.
post #187 of 295 Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Blacklac - Please add Sleepy Hollow (JP) to the list. Superior PQ and lossless audio.

Will do. Took the plunge, huh?

What kind of specs? AVC, TrueHD, BD50? Also, what studio?

What about the PQ was better? I'd guess less artifacts and possibly sharper...?
post #188 of 295 Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Will do. Took the plunge, huh?

What kind of specs? AVC, TrueHD, BD50? Also, what studio?

What about the PQ was better? I'd guess less artifacts and possibly sharper...?

I really need to rent the US version again so I can compare directly. I'll check the specs when I get home but I know it's TrueHD and pretty sure it is a BD50, Pony Canyon release.

As for PQ, yes the image is sharper and the annoying digital noise that seemed to dance all over the place in the US release is gone. The natural film grain is intact and there is a fantastic sense of depth. I don't remember how blacks the blacks were on the US release but they seem exceptionally inky on the JP release and shadow detail is equally impressive.

post #189 of 295 Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #190 of 295 Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also received sleepy hollow, I will check tonight i only took a quick look on my plasma, but it looks much better, those annoying digital artifacts are gone, and it looks good. Some shots look really cool to, I remember looking at my hd dvd and saying this movie could look really good if these artifacts and such were not popping up everywhere.

I will do a/b tonight with my hd dvd u.s. copy.

If your a fan of this movie, do yourself a favor and get the japanese copy.
post #191 of 295 Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I also received sleepy hollow, I will check tonight i only took a quick look on my plasma, but it looks much better, those annoying digital artifacts are gone, and it looks good. Some shots look really cool to, I remember looking at my hd dvd and saying this movie could look really good if these artifacts and such were not popping up everywhere.

I will do a/b tonight with my hd dvd u.s. copy.

If your a fan of this movie, do yourself a favor and get the japanese copy.

Glad to hear someone is not pissed at me for recommending this Be sure to chime in on Foxy's film grain thread too. I recommended that this be added to the main list and the US release be placed on the minor issues list. Also interested in reading your impressions on the audio.

post #192 of 295 Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I will need more time to go over it again tomorrow.

Its for sure an improvement over the original. Although I think the master needs to be redone.

Some scenes still presented a gritty look that bothered me. A bit to much yet in spots. My projector is very unforgiving and shows anything good or bad.

Some scenes looked like bottom teir 1, but some scenes looked like they couldnt be improved anymore and maybe bottem teir 3 or 4.

Overall it was for sure an upgrade. I was maybe expecting to much due to the difference in american psycho i seen.

You could see in some scenes that this movie is capable of being bottom teir 1 through and through, but short of a cleaning up the master I dont expect a better version then this. And I dont like dnr or at least very slight, so i am concluding that it needs a new master.

Audio was very good however, very impressed with the audio. I really like this movie though, so it was still worth it for me. I just wish some scenes could have been cleared up even more and the extreme noise was still present at times, although to a lesser degree.

It is tough to rate this, better then the u.s. overall for sure, but some parts still looked a bit haggard.

I should mention on my plasma it was much harder to spot excessive noise/grain so if you have a smaller screen, get this for sure.

I will check it out again tonight, i didnt have quite ideal conditions the entire way through. People kept turning lights on behind me in my house ruining part of my analyzing.
post #193 of 295 Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well I will need more time to go over it again tomorrow.

Its for sure an improvement over the original. Although I think the master needs to be redone.

Some scenes still presented a gritty look that bothered me. A bit to much yet in spots. My projector is very unforgiving and shows anything good or bad.

Some scenes looked like bottom teir 1, but some scenes looked like they couldnt be improved anymore and maybe bottem teir 3 or 4.

Overall it was for sure an upgrade. I was maybe expecting to much due to the difference in american psycho i seen.

You could see in some scenes that this movie is capable of being bottom teir 1 through and through, but short of a cleaning up the master I dont expect a better version then this. And I dont like dnr or at least very slight, so i am concluding that it needs a new master.

Audio was very good however, very impressed with the audio. I really like this movie though, so it was still worth it for me. I just wish some scenes could have been cleared up even more and the extreme noise was still present at times, although to a lesser degree.

It is tough to rate this, better then the u.s. overall for sure, but some parts still looked a bit haggard.

I should mention on my plasma it was much harder to spot excessive noise/grain so if you have a smaller screen, get this for sure.

I will check it out again tonight, i didnt have quite ideal conditions the entire way through. People kept turning lights on behind me in my house ruining part of my analyzing.

I viewed it on a 58" Pany plasma and agree for the most part but I found it overall to be a fairly impressive looking title preserving the natural film grain as it should. Some of the scenes looked a bit soft but I have to wonder if this is how they were shot. The movie as a whole often has a dreamy feel to it and I agree that the BD lacks the hyper detail that we've come to love in so many top tier titles but still resolved with super inky blacks, gradial shadow delineation, and for the most part an impressive sense of depth.

post #194 of 295 Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The black levels and color were very good on the japanese release. Much better, and looked great.

My only issue was a few scenes looked gritty and flat yet.

Some scenes were excellent though, the flashbacks with his mother looked great, the opening shot of him going to sleepy hollow in the carriage was also incredible.

You might be right that its how it was shot. There was some incredible looking scenes, and then at times it still looked a bit decayed.

I was wondering if it might have been a camera they used. When johnny depp got stabbed and is sitting in the bed, and christina ricci dad is there, the camera switched from depp whose faces showed alot of distracting grain/noise, and then a camera shot of the dad whose face showed a ton of detail, and no extra noise/grain, it was a huge contrast as the cameras switched back and forth, it literally was going from teir 1 quality back to bottem teir 3 as they carried on there discussion.
post #195 of 295 Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So looking back and forth tonight, Im not sure if I can recommend this or not.

Some scenes offered great changes with the japanese looking much better, yet other scenes i complained about earlier, a/bing the u.s. and japanese copy, some scenes only provided subtle if any upgrade.

Its really a mixed bag, overall it is an upgrade, but again some scenes look way better, and others just barely improved.

I did find the sound to be excellent though.
post #196 of 295 Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Iron Man

Judging from the comparison pix (Xylon Vs. Zonadvd.com), the Paramount version looked a hair better in terms of contrast and black levels.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Close call but Region A, B, C is going to make Warner richer. Sorry Paramount and Criterion.

http://www.blurayreviews.ch/reviews/...ray-review.htm

2-Disc Special Edition review of the German release with 1080p screenshots.

First disc contains the movie.

Second disc contains extras and is not a digital copy.

Good job, Warner.

does that review suggest the warner version was better than the criterion? If so thats a mighty effort
post #197 of 295 Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dont know if kenobi can comment on this, but I noticed the japanese version of sleepy hollow is 1080i? The menu is 1080/24fps, then once the movie starts its 1080i.

I thought it might be my projector, or ps3, so i tried a bunch of other discs, all played fine at 1080/24, but sleepy hollow played at 1080i, after the menu (menu was in 1080/24).
post #198 of 295 Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Is the OP still being updated? The UK/French encode of T2 should be listed as the highest quality, and the Sony release of T3 is available in the UK, Australia, the Netherlands, and probably other countries in addition to Germany.

Here's pics of the US Vertical Limit encode (MPEG-2) vs the UK and Brazilian encode (AVC).

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1516/00051usmpc.png
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1380/00051ukmpc.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2320/01656usmpc.png
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3422/01656ukmpc.png

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6887/13025usmpc.png
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7353/13025ukmpc.png

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5870/13047usmpc.png
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2913/13047ukmpc.png

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2961/13748usmpc.png
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2429/13748ukmpc.png

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2768/15601usmpc.png
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1029/15601ukmpc.png

As you can see the US encode is zoomed in, blurry, and even exhibits small interlacing artifacts in some areas (tiny ones). Despite being progressively encoded. I think it's an artifact of the zooming.

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017)
UHD: Philips BDP7501 | HD: PS3, WD TV Live
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
post #199 of 295 Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thats a huge difference with Vertical Limit! (puts US version up for sale!!)
post #200 of 295 Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Is the OP still being updated?

Yes sir!

I will get to those after work. Thanks for the updates!
post #201 of 295 Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Is the OP still being updated? The UK/French encode of T2 should be listed as the highest quality, and the Sony release of T3 is available in the UK, Australia, the Netherlands, and probably other countries in addition to Germany.

Here's pics of the US Vertical Limit encode (MPEG-2) vs the UK and Brazilian encode (AVC).

As you can see the US encode is zoomed in, blurry, and even exhibits small interlacing artifacts in some areas (tiny ones). Despite being progressively encoded. I think it's an artifact of the zooming.

The UK/Brazilian edition looks fabulous - The American edition looks very poor by comparison.
post #202 of 295 Old 07-17-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I came across three PNG shots of Sony's Terminator 3 disc in a Google search, so here's a little Warner Bros VC-1 (HD DVD and Blu-ray - US, etc) vs Sony AVC (Blu-ray - UK, etc) comparison.

Color differences are only due to the different software conversion in place, so try to ignore that.

A surprise to absolutely nobody, it's a different encode of the same master. The 13.52Mbps VC-1 holds up well compared to the 26.79Mbps AVC, although obviously with more blocking. No evidence of the infamous Warner (or VC-1) "filtering" in sight.

I expect a similar result with Watchmen if anyone does a comparison between Warner and Paramount.

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017)
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
post #203 of 295 Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The grain looks maintained much better in the Sony release on T3.
post #204 of 295 Old 07-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Is it region free or region coded ?

Sorry for answering only now... The UK release of Pride & Prejudice BBC is region free (plays fine with PowerDVD set to Region A or B - didn't check C).
post #205 of 295 Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post

Sorry for answering only now... The UK release of Pride & Prejudice BBC is region free (plays fine with PowerDVD set to Region A or B - didn't check C).

Thanks.

I took a calculated risk and bought it a few weeks back for someone in America and thats why i originally wanted to know.
post #206 of 295 Old 07-18-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I had read on Blu-ray.com forums, someone claimed Sleepy Hollow was re-released in the US, with a new transfer. Perhaps those interested would like to look into that.
post #207 of 295 Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

I came across three PNG shots of Sony's Terminator 3 disc in a Google search, so here's a little Warner Bros VC-1 (HD DVD and Blu-ray - US, etc) vs Sony AVC (Blu-ray - UK, etc) comparison.

Color differences are only due to the different software conversion in place, so try to ignore that.

A surprise to absolutely nobody, it's a different encode of the same master. The 13.52Mbps VC-1 holds up well compared to the 26.79Mbps AVC, although obviously with more blocking. No evidence of the infamous Warner (or VC-1) "filtering" in sight.

I expect a similar result with Watchmen if anyone does a comparison between Warner and Paramount.

Yeah I was surprised that it looks pretty much identical... I would buy the Sony version for the TrueHD track though.. Too bad Warner didn't include that.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.30 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #208 of 295 Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I had read on Blu-ray.com forums, someone claimed Sleepy Hollow was re-released in the US, with a new transfer. Perhaps those interested would like to look into that.

Any more info on this, or where that came from? How would we know we are getting a new transfer? I live in canada, and already ordered a japan one, which was better but not great, I would like to know more info on this, could you point me where that quote came from? And how people would know they are getting a re-released one.
post #209 of 295 Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Its the same disc in a package without the old Paramount border and lower price. There were already 2 other threads about this for Sky Captain and the Warriors... I wish that people on Blu-ray.com would stop spreading this misinformation..

Old Packaging

New Packaging

SAME DISC

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.30 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #210 of 295 Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This one's a straight-up codec comparison from Sony: same master with no zooming or other crap this time.

Here's the specs and extras info for the Spanish release. Notably limited by only including 2.0 audio for the English track, yet inexplicably presenting that in LPCM... It's also Region B locked, so most wouldn't be interested anyway.

17.53Mbps MPEG-2 vs 24.97Mbps AVC

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017)
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page