The Official Dark Knight BR Review and Discussion Thread (This is NOT for PQ) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 445 Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

PSH would be a great Penguin! I'm personally JD'd out but no doubt he could do it.

Still love Cesar Romero the most

I was talking with my kids about Cesar yesterday. I also mentioned the Riddler and Green Hornet as well as mentioned Bruce Lee was Cato in the Batman tv show. As corny as that show was, I will take Cesar as the Joker and Burgess Meredith anyday over some of the ones in the movies. No one can quack like Burgess and his voice was excellent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 445 Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished watching the Live Event with Nolan and even though he didn't answer any of my 50+ questions, i still felt as though i was part of the dialogue. In fact, most of my questions were answered within minutes and sometimes seconds of me posting them. It was an amazing experience.

I have to admit, i was skeptical about this BD-Live feature, but this really was amazing. Feeling connected to the film in such a different way. I think this feature alone may be what eventually pulls out a win for Bluray.

It really was amazing. Can you imagine doing this with Peter Jackson when the Lord of the Rings sets are released? W O W.

Oh, and straight from Nolan's mind/mouth/fingers lol.. he and Goyer are talking about a third story right now. That was all he said, no more, no less.
post #333 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Give Me Jonny Depp as the Riddler. Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.

Paul Giamatti would be a great Penguin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNKAKE View Post

Oh, and straight from Nolan's mind/mouth/fingers lol.. he and Goyer are talking about a third story right now. That was all he said, no more, no less.

Which is already something... ...And at least, this time it's not a stupid rumor featuring Paris Hilton as Catwoman.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #335 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i too enjoyed the bdlive event last night. i thought it was also interesting how he said most of the gestures by the joker were all done improv by Heath. This was my first time trying bdlive so sure there was some connection errors but overall a very cool experience just to know Nolan was watching the same time.
post #336 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I would have wanted Robert DeNiro as the penguin.
post #337 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Help me out: the scene where the joker tells Batman where Rachel and Harvey Dent are (tied up surrounded by oil barrels), Batman says he's going for Rachel and the commissioner says he's going for Dent. I watched it a couple times thinking I missed an important detail (I lose focus when things are happening to fast) but I couldn't find the point where they agreed to trade with each other. After thinking about it my hand is ready to smack my head, but I just need a confirmation: the joker lied, that's the only explanation, right?

Also, why are Rachel and Dent so confident that she's the one getting rescued, when it would seem to me that Dent's the most valuable to everyone in the city?
post #338 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

After thinking about it my hand is ready to smack my head, but I just need a confirmation: the joker lied, that's the only explanation, right?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yes, because by luying, Batman would automaticly go after the wrong person, whoever that would be.

I think thats a really good Joker scene.
post #339 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Thanks. Yeah, good scene.
post #340 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

Also, why are Rachel and Dent so confident that she's the one getting rescued, when it would seem to me that Dent's the most valuable to everyone in the city?

Well Rachel knows Batman is Bruce, and knows he will absolutely choose to save her. I'm not sure why Dent would know Batman would come for Rachel, but maybe just an assumption after seeing (or hearing about) him save her at the party. The police would obviously go for Dent first, but both Dent and Rachel trust Batman to do a better job than the police.
post #341 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Is this Nolan chat a one time and you missed it, or will it be posted for those who missed it to listen to?
post #342 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by babrown92 View Post

Is this Nolan chat a one time and you missed it, or will it be posted for those who missed it to listen to?

It wasn't an audio chat by Nolan, it was just like an instant message chat.
post #343 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 08:55 AM

yea it was like a msg room, movie was playing real time and he would respond to questions that were typed in, you only got to saw 1 question at a time though so it wasn't an overload to Nolan. I was glad bc I had a few questions but couldn't think of what to ask exactly but a lot of viewers had same questions as me that did get answered by him.

and to the question about Batman going to Dent and Commissioner to Rachel...Joker lied.
post #344 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:

but I couldn't find the point where they agreed to trade with each other. After thinking about it my hand is ready to smack my head, but I just need a confirmation: the joker lied, that's the only explanation, right?

Yep, that's it!

Afro GT
post #345 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:

I don't think they are. They both need hope though. She needs to know that she can be rescued, he thinks that maybe there's a way out... Besides, the joker probably assume that Batman will go for Rachel, that's why he lies, so he can make sure Dent is actually the one who will be saved... He needs Dent to be saved. And he probably trusts Batman more than the police to get the job done...

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #346 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I also enjoyed the BD-Live chat, especially considering I thought I was going to miss it, but mother nature in the midwest canceled my previous plans. Anyway, I was pretty surprised how few hiccups I encountered throughout the whole movie. Even when they said that they were having technical difficulties (during the Hong Kong IMAX shots), I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary occuring. Oh yeah, and Nolan's potty breaks were priceless Good show, Warner.

My HT Gear:
TV - LG OLED 77" G6P
Receiver: DENON X7200WA AMPS: Emotiva XPA-5, XPA-2, XPA-1 (x2)
Fronts: Klipsch RF-7 ii Center: Klipsch RC-64 ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-62 ii Surround Backs: RB-81 ii
Sub: SVS PC13-Ultra Ceiling: CDT-5800-c ii
post #347 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I don't think they are. They both need hope though. She needs to know that she can be rescued, he thinks that maybe there's a way out... Besides, the joker probably assume that Batman will go for Rachel, that's why he lies, so he can make sure Dent is actually the one who will be saved... He needs Dent to be saved. And he probably trusts Batman more than the police to get the job done...

Of course it could be that the Jokers gangmembers got tired of letting the clown run the show, and decided to switch themself.

But I guess that wasnt the filmmakers idea of the scene.
post #348 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM

I enjoyed the novelty of the BD Live chat but honestly I don't think I'd take the trouble to do it again. 90% of the questions were extremely immature, boring, pointless, etc.

Nolan's answers were brief, generalized, or uninteresting because he was answering said stupid questions.

The format just doesn't lend itself to deep analysis of a movie, which is why I want to watch a commentary. I don't want to hear "so and so actor was fantastic" for every single cast member when they appear on screen.
post #349 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatonjohn View Post

I enjoyed the novelty of the BD Live chat but honestly I don't think I'd take the trouble to do it again. 90% of the questions were extremely immature, boring, pointless, etc.

Nolan's answers were brief, generalized, or uninteresting because he was answering said stupid questions.

The format just doesn't lend itself to deep analysis of a movie, which is why I want to watch a commentary. I don't want to hear "so and so actor was fantastic" for every single cast member when they appear on screen.

I had zero trouble. It was as seemless as watching the movie. I just set my ps3 to not go into stanby which was what the txt i got from WBlive told me to do. Then i logged in and the movie played, paused, and scrolled the text by itself. I absoluetely loved it. Can't wait for a Peter Jackson LOTR BDLive chat. Or Star Wars. HA! I can see it now... George.. you suck! LOL.
post #350 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

i'd hit it.

+1!!!!

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #351 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked: 5734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatonjohn View Post

I am underwhelmed by most BD extras but agree with you that a thoughtful commentary by a movie's director can be a lot of fun. For example, I listened to Mel Brooks' comments while watching the BD of the wonderful Young Frankenstein. That was a great comedy, arguably Brooks' masterpiece, so his comments were very interesting to me.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #352 of 445 Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM

i didn't really think it was that many immature questions but there was a lot of pointless ones. WB could have picked better questions to answer. I know when I RSVP'd I submitted some so I'm sure they could've posted a few of those from the 400,000 ppl before Thursday night.
post #353 of 445 Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I am underwhelmed by most BD extras but agree with you that a thoughtful commentary by a movie's director can be a lot of fun. For example, I listened to Mel Brooks' comments while watching the BD of the wonderful Young Frankenstein. That was a great comedy, arguably Brooks' masterpiece, so his comments were very interesting to me.

Not that I've listened to countless director's commentaries, but the commentaries on the EE of the LOTR movies was exemplary. Not so much Peter Jackson, but the two women that were the screenwriters, I believe. Most director's commentaries are a joke and tell us things we already know or don't care about.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #354 of 445 Old 12-20-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

I played the film last night on my Sony Player (S301 - With 4.3 Firmware)...periodically throughout the film, there were instances where the audio "glitched" for lack of a better term. It would be playing...picture was fine, audio would disappear for about 1/2 a second. Is anyone else seeing similar issues?

At the 11+ minute mark when Gary Oldman says in the bank vault that he'd have to hit the banks simultaneously with swat teams etc: I too noticed the distorted sound. This is on my Sony BDP-S350 with Sony STR-DG800 receiver, via coax digital. The garbled audio is the same whether I choose the DD track or the TrueHD track.

I haven't watched the rest of the movie yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader_slri View Post

I watched TDK on Bluray over the weekend and experienced a series of audio dropouts during the movie. After combing through internet forums, it appears that my problem is not isolated. I am hoping to consolidate information in this thread so that we can get to the bottom of this.

The Problem: At specific points during the movie, the audio will go completely silent ie. no sound at all. This will last for about 0.5 seconds. The video will continue without a hitch. The problem is reproducible and occurs at 3:38, 3:54, and several more times closer to the end of the movie. I am listening to the Dolby Digital 5.1 track, but have seen discussion of similar problems with the TrueHD track.

My Setup: PS3 (current firmware) hooked up via optical to a Harman Kardon AVR235. PS3 is set to bitstream. For video, PS3 is hooked up via HDMI to a Pioneer 5080.

At first, I thought the problem could be a bad batch of discs but the problem doesn't appear to be that widespread. Then I thought perhaps the PS3 was to blame since many of the users reporting the problem are using the PS3. However, I found mention of a Sharp player exhibiting similar problems here:

Amazon thread

In that thread, it appears the user is using the TrueHD track over HDMI, but also has a problem when using an optical connection. There are also users reporting no problems with playback on PS3 so it is a bit confusing to try and pin down the source of the problem. What I have been noticing recently is the prevalence of Harman Kardon receivers in these threads. Could this be the common link and the cause of these audio dropouts?

More threads:

AVSforum thread 1

AVSforum thread 2

I do not have access to another BR player for testing the disc. I may try exchanging the disc when I get a chance. Thanks for any insight on what may be causing this problem.

Edit: found another thread here:

AVSforum thread 3

This person is using a Sony BR player (not PS3).

I got odd audio, but didn't get complete dropouts, but like I said I haven't watched the entire movie.
post #355 of 445 Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 472
I think the reason The Joker lied to Batman is that he, The Joker, wanted to hurt Batman by killing Rachel, pretty much ensuring that Wayne would have no motivation to quit being Batman.
This also Joker's played into motive for twisting Dent.
Wayne would have to continue being Batman and providing Joker with the only person he considers a worthy opponent.

FWIW, Heath Ledger nailed that role.
Nicholson, played it for gags as much as anything and didn't come off nearly as menacing\\manical\\smart\ wisted as Ledger.

The TV series was kid stuff, I watched when it was I was a kid and even then thought it was lame for the most part and so did most of my friends.

Maggie Gyllenhaal while a pretty good actress, was miscast in this movie.
Katie Holmes was a far better match as Rachel.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #356 of 445 Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

At the 11+ minute mark when Gary Oldman says in the bank vault that he'd have to hit the banks simultaneously with swat teams etc: I too noticed the distorted sound. This is on my Sony BDP-S350 with Sony STR-DG800 receiver, via coax digital. The garbled audio is the same whether I choose the DD track or the TrueHD track.

I haven't watched the rest of the movie yet.

---

I got odd audio, but didn't get complete dropouts, but like I said I haven't watched the entire movie.

I just tested it on my Insignia NS-BRDVD. That's the Funai player. I get the same garbled audio with the Insignia connected to a Sony STR-DG500 receiver, and again this is with both the DD and TrueHD tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gordon in The Dark Knight at 11'18" to 11'22" View Post

I'd have to hit all banks simultaneously. Swat teams, backup.

Note that the distortion is small enough that some people may not notice it unless they're listening for it. That may explain why people don't consistently report it.

If it were a complete dropout (like some people are having), it would be more obvious.
post #357 of 445 Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I was also having split-second audio dropouts on my PS3 (about 4 of them, spaced out throughout the movie. The first was during the Prologue, can't remember the others). I will watch it on my brother's PS3 in a couple days to see if it's the movie or something between the movie and the PS3.

Is there anything I can do about this? I think I heard other people mention this issue before.

Also, I didn't notice the EE too much (I can never see tiny details when I'm just watching the movie). I also did not notice the AR changes AT ALL. It was more obvious on an IMAX screen.
post #358 of 445 Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampy1234 View Post

Back on topic, I'm having a different audio issue to most.

While watching it yesterday I noticed an annoying crackling distortion from some scene's, I don't believe it's clipping as I can hear the problem when I rewind the scene and play it at a much lower volume and it's happening only on dialogue so it's not in an action scene with much louder dynamic volume.

One scene for example is 32m.20s in where the dude says 'with you here now', another example is at 56m50s where bruce just finishes firing the gattling gun rounds and Alfred says 'I dont think you made it loud enough' You can hear a clear crackling noise,

I'm playing via the PS3 and I've tested with the Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital tracks, happens on both, I also wanted to eliminate the speakers as a cause, in 5.1 the distortion comes from the center speaker, this made it easy enough to test the speaker so I changed it to 2.1 stereo and this time it came from both L&R speakers so thats not the issue either.

Anyone else experienced this?

I was going to comment on how wonderful and impressive the sound was for this movie. Especially in the scene you mention with the lab test of the gunfire. That was friggin' loud while it played, and after Alfred mentions it, it made sense that it was unusually loud. I didn't notice any crackling, though (but maybe I was just blown out by how loud it was). If there was a scene I would expect to overload my system on line level, I'd imagine this should have been sufficient (but I didn't hear anything amiss). I use ps3 set to TrueHD and send pcm over hdmi, as well. To put the cherry on top, I ran the ps3 volume gain at +2 setting, since it was so quiet starting out. With the dynamics on this movie, I would fully expect it to clip something at +2 setting, but luckily, no sign of any trouble whatsoever. I know I cannot do this with the Matrix dvd's- the line level overload is very evident at that setting whenever those hover-thingies touchdown to the ground.

Another remarkable scene was the blowing up hospital scene. Along with the Joker's humor in that shot, the sound was impressive in that it went from just a regular loud rumbling to REALLY loud rumbling. I had to scramble for the volume on the remote (not because I was afraid for my system, but afraid I would surely be breaking the last straw of patience with the neighbors). That scene was very impressive, though (and no sign of any overload for me).

This soundtrack is slickly refined and professionally constructed for top performance, imo. The bass is clear and dynamic whether it is quiet or loud. The dynamics are intense. The voicing is clear and natural (none of that lower midrange muddiness that I have strangely encountered on numerous recent big movies).

I only recall 2 moments where the soundtrack had a very odd sound. Ok, I don't remember what the 1st scene was, but the 2nd scene was the crashing helicopter towards the middle of the movie. In both scenes, the sound was momentarily very digitally compressed (like a bad mp3). I don't know how that is possible given that it was coming through TrueHD, but maybe it was something in the master? It's a small complaint, though, as the soundtrack is, by far, quite a fanfare.

Margot Robbie is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
post #359 of 445 Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I was also having split-second audio dropouts on my PS3 (about 4 of them, spaced out throughout the movie. The first was during the Prologue, can't remember the others). I will watch it on my brother's PS3 in a couple days to see if it's the movie or something between the movie and the PS3.

I tried another disc today on my setup (PS3 - DD - optical out - HK AVR235). I heard the same audio dropouts I had heard previously with my disc. Although this sounds like a PS3 problem, it isn't, because there have been reports of other players (Panasonic BD35) with the same problem. My guess at this point is that there is a small batch of bad discs out there. Warner Bros. never responded to my email about this problem.
post #360 of 445 Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader_slri View Post

I tried another disc today on my setup (PS3 - DD - optical out - HK AVR235). I heard the same audio dropouts I had heard previously with my disc. Although this sounds like a PS3 problem, it isn't, because there have been reports of other players (Panasonic BD35) with the same problem. My guess at this point is that there is a small batch of bad discs out there. Warner Bros. never responded to my email about this problem.

Why would you conclude it's due to a bad batch of discs? That sounds more like an authoring problem, esp. since people aren't reporting video glitches when they have the audio problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page