Canadian imports coming soon! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 231 Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 23
*** All of the following information comes courtesy of GizmoDVD and will be updated occasionally. Any errors should be addressed to him. They're all his fault.

Most of these releases sell for $12.95 - $17.95 and with the exchange rate, they only add up to a typical USA catalog release. Feel free to discuss any of these or any of the ones coming out. See Coupons at bottom of post. All titles are 1080p unless otherwise mentioned. I did make mention of 1080p titles if the cover art was wrong.

Currently Available:
* Amelie - (1080i, No Subtitles, Poor Menu Navigation; French TrueHD only) - with special features
* 15 Minutes (DTS MA, AVC) - NO special features
* 21 Grams - UNKNOWN
* A Nightmare on Elm Street (TrueHD) Heavy DNR. USA release likely to be the same transfer - NO special features
* Black Christmas (2006 version) - with special features
* C.R.A.Z.Y. (1080i, French TrueHD only) - with special features
* Cruising Bar 2 (French 5.1 PCM French DD5.1) - with special features (all in French, no subtitles)
* Cold Mountain (DTS MA, AVC, No subtitles) - NO special features
* DOA: Dead or Alive (DTS MA) - NO special features
* Fido (1080i with TrueHD) - with special features
* From Dusk Till Dawn (DTS MA) - NO special features
* Freddy Vs. Jason (DTS MA) - NO special features
* Good Will Hunting (1080p - box says 1080i but its a mistake) - NO special features - Confirmed for a USA Release in 2009
* Hostage - (1080p - box says 1080i but its a mistake) - NO special features - AR 1.78:1 - UK release is 2.40:1
* In a Galaxy Near You (Dans une galaxie près de chez vous 1 & 2) - (special features unknown)
* Passchendaele - with special features all in HD
* Ronin - (Special Features Unknown) - Officially released in USA
* Seed of Chucky (Child's Play) (1080i, DTS MA, AVC - Believed to be Rated cut) - NO special features
* Slither (AVC 1080i with TrueHD / For Comparison, the HD DVD was VC1 1080p with DD+) - with special features
* Sin City (DTS MA) - NO special features - Confirmed for a 2 Disc BD USA Release in 2009
* The Constant Gardener (DTS MA) - NO special features - Cover art claims there is but they are no where to be found on the disc
* The Butterfly Effect (DTS MA) *Directors Cut* (Box says 1 Hour 54 Mins but its a mistake) - NO special features
* White Noise 1 & 2 - (1080i, TrueHD) Both films on one BD50 Disc. with special features for both films
* Young People F***ing - with special features
* Traffic (3/3)
* Rounders (3/3) - Confirmed for a USA Release in 2009 NO special features
* Se7en (3/3) - (1080i. DTS MA) - 1.78:1= wrong aspect ratio. NO special features
* Brokeback Mountain (3/3) - Confirmed for a USA Release in 3/10/09
* Derailed (3/3)
* Requiem for a Dream *Directors Cut* (3/3)

Coming Soon:
* Knockaround Guys (4/7)
* Reindeer Games (4/7)
* Chasing Amy (4/7)
* Boiler Room (4/7)
* A Man Apart (4/7)
* Running Scared (4/7)
* Trainspotting (4/7)
*Trailer Park Boys The Movie (5/9)
*Cellular (5/9)
*The English Patient (5/9)
* Taxi Driver - Unknown when/if being released

Other:
Titles available from Distributer Alliance that is either identical to or worse then the American Blu-ray. These are simply here for reference and for some, they may be cheaper then tracking down the American Version:
District B-13 (Identical)
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (Identical)
Silent Hill (Different Artwork on Disc and Cover - Identical otherwise)

Currency Converter - http://www.xe.com/ucc/
- As of 1/2/09 $10CANADIAN = $8.23USA

Coupon Code:
"Use coupon code MAPNEWNCSAVE to save $10 off 40 good for NEW accounts to Amazon.ca"

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #3 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
These will play in our U.S. players? If yes, this is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

These will play in our U.S. players? If yes, this is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes...all of North America is the same region.

The only problem is the Canucks replace all of the "ow" vowel sounds on the English language track to "oo", e.g. "what's that all aboot? please come in the hoose. isn't it cold oot there, eh?" oh, and they add alot of "eh's" to sentences too. the only alternative is a French Canadian track which is basically the same but in French. if you can deal with those issues then the discs should play fine on your U.S. system.
post #5 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder how Seven will turn out? If it's cheap enough, I'll pick it up as long as it isn't a total disaster. Who knows how long it will be until it sees a Blu release from New Line/Warner. It's one of my favourites! (up here in Canada we also add "u" to a lot of words to insure they're spelled properly).
post #6 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Seven is one of the best movies ever, if its a good transfer I would pay whatever price they set it at.
post #7 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

***WARNING: this company is notorious for barebones releases. Buyer beware.

I thought people bought movies to watch the actual movie?

-Gary
post #8 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

-Gary

Imagine that, eh?
post #9 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

also beware of bilingual covers. there's a stupid law here that says discs with a french track has to have french packaging when sold in one of our provinces (states). some companies make separate packaging for that area, others just make the covers half english and half french for the entire country.
post #10 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

also beware of bilingual covers. there's a stupid law here that says discs with a french track has to have french packaging when sold in one of our provinces (states).

"Stupid" is a too gentle word... Just another good reason for custom covers! The funny thing is when I go to Paris, there are full of R1 releases, which are of course the US ones, in english only.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #11 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

also beware of bilingual covers. there's a stupid law here that says discs with a french track has to have french packaging when sold in one of our provinces (states). some companies make separate packaging for that area, others just make the covers half english and half french for the entire country.

That drives me absolutely insane. I speak both. I don't need to read the title in both languages. I think almost everyone in the country speaks English, most Quebeckers included. When immigrants come to this country they adapt to English. If necessary, they should make *fewer* copies with French, and charge extra for titles in Quebec. Wolfe won, Montcalm lost, and yet we are *still* promoting this as "multiculturalism". It's one of the 2 biggest reasons when our dollar was high I ordered exclusively from amazon.com and was willing to wait 2-3 weeks for titles to get here (obviously it being much more affordable was good too). Custom covers is the way I'm going to go regarding those titles that have both languages covering half the cover art. My own person OCD i guess.

ON topic, I haven't seen Seven, but have heard great things. Hopefully it's a great price like Sin City was, it will be a blind buy for me.
post #12 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
21 grams. awesome!

post #13 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

-Gary

Some people actually have the audacity to want to know more about the movies after watching them.
post #14 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp Toad View Post

I wonder how Seven will turn out?

Hopefully, it will be as good as one can reasonably imagine.

It will certainly be interesting to see how Traffic turns out.
post #15 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAVHTx View Post

I think almost everyone in the country speaks English, most Quebeckers included.

Trust me, not every Canuck can speak English. And many Quebecois who can speak English won't do it. I've driven through Quebec pre-GPS days and mon Dieu, il y a beaucoup people who refuse to parle Anglais from tempts to temps. I grew up in New Brunswick, and there are even many there who can't speak English, or only very little. Get use to it after awhile I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #16 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've always liked having dvds in their native language cover included.
although in the case of canda both versions should be offered rather then both on one cover. either via a fliping cover or just sell two versions. based on sales one region might get more copys of one or the other..

I've only imported a few films from canada as the shiping to the USA is high and they require SOD when droped off. I don't have time to wait around the mail box on the apox. days.

anyway I've imported amélie and dans une galaxie pres de chez vous. both very good films. the amélie film had no subs at all on the BD. I don't understand why they won't atleast put the native subs on their. french would work for me.
post #17 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Trust me, not every Canuck can speak English. And many Quebecois who can speak English won't do it. I've driven through Quebec pre-GPS days and mon Dieu, il y a beaucoup people who refuse to parle Anglais from tempts to temps. I grew up in New Brunswick, and there are even many there who can't speak English, or only very little. Get use to it after awhile I guess.

As my in-laws in Vancouver informed me 25 years ago: REAL Canadians do speak english.
post #18 of 231 Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI..

The Alliance DVD releases of Se7en and Traffic were the 2 disc special editions. Traffic was the Criterion.

It would be HOT if we got both of those.

post #19 of 231 Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Let's lay off the generalizations & stereotypes guys...

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #20 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered 3 of these titles with expediated shipping for 68.81 Canadian dollars. Using an online currency converter this comes to only 58 U.S. dollars. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #21 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I ordered 3 of these titles with expediated shipping for 68.81 Canadian dollars. Using an online currency converter this comes to only 58 U.S. dollars. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Tom

Sounds about right. The exchange the other way the other day for me was 25%. So I paid $30 Cdn for something that was $24 US. Visa/banks/etc. take a few percentages either way on the exchange so it won't be exactly the same.
post #22 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Seed of Chucky is the theatrical cut, not the unrated cut Universal released, in case anyone cares. There's probably a good chance that The Butterfly Effect will be the same.
post #23 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

As a french from France, I was amazed the first time I came here, to see how people feel towards english... I'm gonna go back to France in a not-so-far future so at last I'll be able to use english words again in my french! ...But some people are really crazy in Quebec about the whole french/english issue. Sometimes, no disrespect, but it's utterly ridiculous. But that's another debate. I know my english is far from perfect when I speak/write, but as I understand it perfectly, I can't stand dubbed movies anyway, and bilingual covers (english on one side, french on the other would be fine though) look ugly on my shelves!

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #24 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

21 GRAMS, SE7EN and THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT will be mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter02 View Post

Seed of Chucky is the theatrical cut, not the unrated cut Universal released, in case anyone cares. There's probably a good chance that The Butterfly Effect will be the same.

Oh, hadn't thought of that. I'm crossing my fingers the director's cut will be present, but I won't be too surprised if it isn't.
post #25 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 AM

21 Grams, Se7en, and Rounders. Awesome! I've about worn out my Rounders disc.

KT

My Blu-ray collectionhttp://c.mymovies.dk/keithtalent/

post #26 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

Sounds about right. The exchange the other way the other day for me was 25%. So I paid $30 Cdn for something that was $24 US. Visa/banks/etc. take a few percentages either way on the exchange so it won't be exactly the same.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

post #27 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Folks who hate grain better stay away from 21 Grams. I have this on D-Theater and much of the film has heavy grain. Picture quality on the D-Theater tape is fantastic by the way. Time to put my tape on Ebay.

post #28 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Folks who hate grain better stay away from 21 Grams. I have this on D-Theater and much of the film has heavy grain. Picture quality on the D-Theater tape is fantastic by the way. Time to put my tape on Ebay.

Sounds great to me - I just hope the BD matches the D-Theater tape, then.
post #29 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles View Post

Sounds great to me - I just hope the BD matches the D-Theater tape, then.

It should look a tad better but DNR is a concern.

post #30 of 231 Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just an FYI "The Constant Gardener" is already out as I found it on Tues for $19.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page