Pride and Prejudice (1995) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Watched the brief technical featurette, which I mentioned just above, again this morning,. It outlines and split-screen compares the visually dull print telecine versus the excellent S16mm negative telecines used for the Blu-rays. According to the colorist, a relatively new technique for avoiding the "jumps" that take place when telecining the splices of color negatives is what permitted using the vastly superior negative images for the BRs. -- John

This morning I finally got around to watching the short film discussed by John above, only about 5 minutes, in which a technical guy who had worked on the transfer of Pride and Prejudice to HD digital video explained that the technology had just been developed, apparently in 2006, which allowed the direct transfer of Super 16 and 16 mm negatives to HD digital video. As noted, he demonstrated that this technique produces images dramatically superior to those resulting from the transfer of prints to digital video. He opined that a lot more classic TV shows would be transferred this way. I don't know, but strongly suspect, that this technique was used to transfer the classic Lonesome Dove miniseries to HD and then to Blu-ray because that BD has beautiful PQ, too.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
A bit off topic, but viewing the four-part "Lost in Austen" [search 'Austen', ovationtv.com] on Ovation yesterday (12/12/10), discovered numerous sly references to my often-watched six-part 1995 Pride and Prejudice on Blu-ray in this UK production. The 'time-traveling' actress, whisked back into Austen's novel in a temporary Elizabeth role, off-handedly mentions Firth in his Darcy role, and details, hilariously, why Rev.Collins 'condescendingly' appears to be smelling his hands. And there's a wacky scene of Darcy immersed in a pond, ala his underwater scene dreamed up by the '95 P&P's script writer.

Believe Lost in Austen is on DVD, and may re-air on Ovation, although couldn't uncover when. Might make it to Blu-ray, too, although its technical appearance on Ovation HD (NYC's Time Warner Cable) suggests it's not up to the BBC/A&E's 16mm '95 production in terms of PQ; perhaps, if filmed, a negative transfer, that enhanced the Blu-ray P&P master so much, would help. Seemed very well acted, heavy on the tongue-in-cheek dialog, well directed, with good cinematography, and even the music score is oddly similar to the BBC/A&E production. -- John

EDIT: Also noticed at imdb.com, as mentioned in this thread , there's discussion of a Lost in Austen feature movie for 2011. On the imdb.com page for Lost in Austen there's a dialog sequence from Darcy giving a hint of Lost's delightful and endless ribbing.
post #63 of 77 Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked: 4769
Quote:

A bit off topic, but viewing the four-part "Lost in Austen" on Ovation yesterday (12/12/10), discovered numerous sly references to my often-watched five-part 1995 Pride and Prejudice on Blu-ray in this UK production.

Quote: "Whoosh! That's the sound of Jane Austen spinning in her grave."

It is on DVD and is lots of fun. Comic interpretations by people who actually appreciate the original are sometimes very fine.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 77 Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:

A bit off topic, but viewing the four-part "Lost in Austen" [search 'Austen', ovationtv.com] on Ovation yesterday (12/12/10), discovered numerous sly references to my often-watched six-part 1995 Pride and Prejudice on Blu-ray in this UK production.

The Pride and Prejudice BD of the BBC miniseries is one of the very best film versions of a book ever made. It is one of the few BDs I am fond enough of to have added it to my library. I usually rent.

I like Austen a lot and think that Pride and Prejudice is her masterpiece. Thus, I am surprised that Lost in Austen had stayed below my radar until I came back to this thread tonight. The DVD is now at the top of my NF queue. I am looking forward to seeing it. It sounds like subversive fun.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #65 of 77 Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM

If I may be pardoned for continuing this slightly off topic discussion, I just finished watching the British miniseries, Lost in Austen, and loved it. I am not sure that anyone less devoted than I am to Jane Austen's wonderful novel, Pride and Prejudice, will be as enamored with Lost in Austen as I was but the thing had me from the opening frame. It was clever, clever stuff and is not to be missed by any fan of Austen's novel or its filmed progeny, including the iconic miniseries that is the subject of this thread. Highly, highly recommended!

post #66 of 77 Old 01-08-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

20 Years Ago: ‘Pride and Prejudice’ Was Reborn on TV. A NY Times historical note. TVs, VCRs, DVDs, then our Blu-rays, Wonder if they'll pull ~4k UHD off P&P's 16mm negatives or Downton Abbey's ~3.8k Arri Alexas RAW files. -- John

EDIT:Mentioned the very popular Downton series because, as the NY Times piece points out, one of the '95 P&P actors appears in a recent Downton episode, which somehow escaped me entirely. And hate to admit, even Jennifer Ehle was spotted in a fairly recent production and it didn't 'click' until I saw her name in the credits. Must have been The King's Speech , 2010, and wow, shouldn't have IMBDed her because don't recall her (as who it was) from Zero Dark Thirty either. Superb, and still beautiful, transformations as an actress.

Last edited by John Mason; 02-08-2016 at 06:35 AM. Reason: add-on' typo
post #67 of 77 Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 654
It would take a substantial improvement in PQ to get me to upgrade from the first release Blu-ray. I would much rather see a complete restoration of Stargate SG-1.
post #68 of 77 Old 01-08-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
20 Years Ago: ‘Pride and Prejudice’ Was Reborn on TV. A NY Times historical note. TVs, VCRs, DVDs, then our Blu-rays, Wonder if they'll pull ~4k UHD off P&P's 16mm negatives or Downton Abbey's ~3.8k Arri Alexas RAW files. -- John
Thanks for your link to a terrific NYT piece! The original Pride and Prejudice (1995), starring the luminous Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet and Colin firth as Mr. Darcy, remains my all time favorite miniseries based on a great book. I bought the DVDs when they were first issued. Later, uncharacteristically for me, I replaced the DVDs with the BDs when they became available.
post #69 of 77 Old 07-16-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Literary (The Word Choices That Explain Why Jane Austen Endures ), but helps explain why the Blu-ray, often using her words, remains very popular. (Very BTW is one of her favorites.) This NYT piece is one of several, like In Jane Austen's Pages, Death Has No Dominion, published because of the 200th anniversary of her death. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 07-16-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
post #70 of 77 Old 07-16-2017, 08:53 AM

@John Mason -- Thanks for reviving this thread by giving us a link to an interesting analysis of what makes Jane Austen's works endure. You have given me an opportunity to recommend to all lovers of Jane Austen's work a recent film, based on one of Austen's minor works, Lady Susan. The film, Love & Friendship (2016), was directed by the always imaginative and funny, Whit Stillman. It contains too many wonderful comic performances to credit many individuals in its terrific cast but I will point out the performance of Tom Bennett as the sweet natured but dumber than rocks, Sir James Martin. The film may not be for all tastes but I could not have enjoyed it more. 10 Stars out of 10.

post #71 of 77 Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^Appreciate the Lady Rose reminder, gwsat. Recall seeing previews on TV when it entered theaters last year. No discs yet that I could spot and nothing on TV either (Verizon VOD AND NON-VOD searches). While searching Austen stuff, noticed "Lost in Austen," the delightful P&P spoof we discussed above, did come out as Blue-ray, too. It's coded A/B/C from one source and from Spain. But have to be careful with my picky Sony PS-3 player. -- John
Edit: Oops! Used a different search name for "Love and Friendship,"--reason I couldn't locate the BRD.

Last edited by John Mason; 07-17-2017 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo;add-on
post #72 of 77 Old 07-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
^^^Appreciate the Lady Rose reminder, gwsat. Recall seeing previews on TV when it entered theaters last year. No discs yet that I could spot and nothing on TV either (Verizon VOD AND NON-VOD searches). While searching Austen stuff, noticed "Lost in Austen," the delightful P&P spoof we discussed above, did come out as Blue-ray, too. It's coded A/B/C from one source and from Spain. But have to careful with my picky Sony PS-3 player. -- John
I preordered the BD quality version of love & Friendship from the Kaleidescape store last summer and got it before the disk was released. I have never regretted my choice. The BD is available from Amazon but isn't particularly cheap (although it is cheaper than the Lost in Austen BD from Amazon.uk). The Blu-ray. com review of Love & Friendship is interesting, but the low marks the reviewer gave it mystified me. As noted in my last post, I thought it was a comic masterpiece.

post #73 of 77 Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^Ordered the BR of Love & Friendship, too. The review at Blu-Ray implied superb PQ, and am posting here to reply I didn't find it so (from a crispness or resolution viewpoint) and to agree with your comment this drama might not be to everyone's taste and it's far removed from this thread's '95 Pride and Prejudice. L&F seems more like a soap opera for Britain's upper class, or just a late-18th-century baroque opera. Background music is mostly operatic and baroque. A bit frothy and heavy on the upper class satire IMO. Good color as the Blu-ray review details, but minimal outdoor scenes seemed lacking in detail with too much selective focusing. -- John
post #74 of 77 Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
^^^Ordered the BR of Love & Friendship, too. The review at Blu-Ray implied superb PQ, and am posting here to reply I didn't find it so (from a crispness or resolution viewpoint) and to agree with your comment this drama might not be to everyone's taste and it's far removed from this thread's '95 Pride and Prejudice. L&F seems more like a soap opera for Britain's upper class, or just a late-18th-century baroque opera. Background music is mostly operatic and baroque. A bit frothy and heavy on the upper class satire IMO. Good color as the Blu-ray review details, but minimal outdoor scenes seemed lacking in detail with too much selective focusing. -- John
Glad you watched Love & Friendship. Its appeal to me was mostly owed to Whit Stillman's screenplay and the fine performances of its ensemble cast, especially Tom Bennett, as the sweet but hilariously stupid Sir James Martin. Kate Beckinsale was as always both decorative and funny. Stillman has the ability to skewer the upper classes, even those of the 18th Century, in a way that is almost loving. Although the original Love & Friendship was certainly one of Jane Austen's minor works, it still had enough going for it in Stillman's capable hands to give us what I thought was great entertainment.

All of the foregoing said, the 1995 Pride and Prejudice miniseries was a triumph, one of the very best conversions of a great novel to great film. I am the first to concede that Neither Stillman's film nor Austen's novella, Love & Friendship, is in the same class with either the miniseries or the novel version of Pride and Prejudice. Both are masterpieces.

post #75 of 77 Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5309 Post(s)
Liked: 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am the first to concede that Neither Stillman's film nor Austen's novella, Love & Friendship, is in the same class with either the miniseries or the novel version of Pride and Prejudice.
For clarity, the film Love & Friendship was based on Jane Austen's novel called 'Lady Susan'. When she was 14, Austen wrote a juvenile novel called 'Love & Freindship' [sic], but the movie doesn't take anything from that except the title (with corrected spelling).

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #76 of 77 Old 08-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
For clarity, the film Love & Friendship was based on Jane Austen's novel called 'Lady Susan'. When she was 14, Austen wrote a juvenile novel called 'Love & Freindship' [sic], but the movie doesn't take anything from that except the title (with corrected spelling).
Yeah, I misspoke. The name of the "novella,"which I mentioned, and upon which the film Love & Friendship was based, was indeed, Lady Susan. Anyway, the IMDb entry for Love & Friendship makes this clear.

post #77 of 77 Old 08-22-2017, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
...The BD is available from Amazon but isn't particularly cheap (although it is cheaper than the Lost in Austen BD from Amazon.uk). The Blu-ray. com review of Love & Friendship is interesting, but the low marks the reviewer gave it mystified me. As noted in my last post, I thought it was a comic masterpiece.
My recollection was that this film (L&F) was generally well-received, critically.

FYI: Last I checked, this film is free to view via Amazon Prime, if you are a member.

Haven't seen it yet myself, but it's on my "eventually" list. Same with the old BBC mini-series, the subject of this thread. I've always liked the Knightly movie version and have watched it at least a few times over the years. Coincidentally, this BBC P&P mini-series is also available for free viewing via Amazon Prime.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page