AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   A Fistful Of Dollars comparison *PIX* (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/1145558-fistful-dollars-comparison-pix.html)

mike171979 05-10-2009 12:34 AM

If Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few More Dollars, each have the original English soundtrack on them, I'm in.

Do they?

I know these were released in the Italian Market. I'd hate to think the English track on these Blurays, is not the English track that the film had when it was released in the States.

Rigby Reardon 05-10-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

If Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few More Dollars, each have the original English soundtrack on them, I'm in.

Do they?

Unfortunately only "Fistful" does. I believe the Italian distributor doesn't have the rights to the English dub of "Few Dollars More".

Pecker 05-10-2009 09:20 AM

Xylon, over a DVD Beaver there are a few pics from this film's night time scenes.

Could you post a few night caps, please?

Many thanks.

Steve W

TwinTurboZX 05-10-2009 09:30 PM

Where are you guys ordering this from? I really want to get a copy but it seems like it's sold out everywhere. I hope it's not out of print already because I know MGM is going to half-ass this when it's released in the US.

Stinky-Dinkins 05-10-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Unfortunately only "Fistful" does. I believe the Italian distributor doesn't have the rights to the English dub of "Few Dollars More".

Yeah but isn't the one on Fistfull some poorly done mono track?

Favelle 05-10-2009 10:22 PM

Holy moly, this looks amazing. This looks like a current FILM.

Unbelievable. Let's hope they just port it over for the NA release.

Rigby Reardon 05-11-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZX View Post

Where are you guys ordering this from? I really want to get a copy but it seems like it's sold out everywhere. I hope it's not out of print already because I know MGM is going to half-ass this when it's released in the US.

Try this: http://www.dvdsat.it/php/prodotto.php?art_code=29592

Rigby Reardon 05-11-2009 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post

Yeah but isn't the one on Fistfull some poorly done mono track?

"Poorly done"? I very much prefer the original soundtrack as designed by Leone over some artificially enhanced super-duper 7.1 track with fake gunshots etc.. If you have to have a multi-channel upmix, you can use the 5.1 Italian track with english subtitles.

Paul Arnette 05-11-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpot View Post

Yes, it is region free. I think I got mine from dvd.it

Thanks! I just finished order this through their site. I have to admit, ordering through an Italian Web site aided only by Babel Fish had to be the most grueling 15 minutes in recent memory. But judging by these screen shots, it should be well worth the trouble.

16x9enhanced 05-11-2009 08:06 AM

this Italian release is amazing, and the packaging is the best I have yet seen for any bd.
I don't know if it's only a first press thing, but my version came with a full set of replica lobby cards, a massive booklet, and other goodies.
a true cinemaphile's dream bd.

Rigby Reardon 05-11-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Try this: http://www.dvdsat.it/php/prodotto.php?art_code=29592

Well, apparently someone did. Out of stock now. However, I have seen a picture of a re-release in a regular BD box on several Italian sites, so at least that should be available again soon.

Paul Arnette 05-11-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Well, apparently someone did. Out of stock now. However, I have seen a picture of a re-release in a regular BD box on several Italian sites, so at least that should be available again soon.

Sorry. That was me. I replied to the wrong post earlier. Wow. I didn't realize that was the last one. This release is drying up quickly.

MrHunt 05-11-2009 11:30 AM

Those look great... wish we could get that type of release for the Leone westerns (all of them) here in the States, instead we get terrible releases with no detail.

Mr. Hanky 05-11-2009 12:45 PM

I haven't followed the whole topic to understand what the opposing viewpoints are, but here are some Hankitized pix. Seems to me that the film grain is intact, but perhaps they used a simple LP filter to give a gradual (natural) roll-off in HF detail. Also, there seems to be a bit more chroma noise, than I would expect. (I have no idea if that is a particular signature of the film used for this project or perhaps this content passed through an analog video process at one time?)

original, cropped

enhanced

enhanced2

LL
LL
LL

Xylon 05-13-2009 02:58 AM

Xylon 05-14-2009 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

Xylon, over a DVD Beaver there are a few pics from this film's night time scenes.

Could you post a few night caps, please?

Many thanks.

Steve W

Timestamps

Pecker 05-14-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Timestamps

Any dark interiors would be fine.

Steve W

TwinTurboZX 05-14-2009 08:27 PM

Well, I finally tracked down a copy on ebay Italy since it seems it's out of print. It cost about $60 to import but judging by the comparison shots it's well worth it. I know the US MGM release won't come anywhere close to this in terms of PQ. I feel better about spending $60 on this than I do about spending $20 on The Good The Bad and The Ugly from MGM. Too bad the English audio isn't lossless though.

Rigby Reardon 05-15-2009 07:51 AM

Glad you found another source. I received mine today and it's a thing of beauty. I normally don't care much for packaging, but the old-fashioned lobby cards are really nice. Just wish I could read the Italian-language booklets ...

Paul Arnette 05-15-2009 08:11 AM

Are there any good pictures of the packaging? It would be nice to look at some while I am waiting for my set to arrive!

Pincho 05-15-2009 08:33 AM

Well I don't see much detail in the pictures to be honest. I look at the faces, and the hair growth is quite blurry, the eyes are quite blurry in distant scenes. This doesn't look like a true master copy to me, but some sort of grain enhanced fake. The exact opposite to DNR.

Stinky-Dinkins 05-15-2009 08:37 AM

You can't even see the wagon spokes, or the ropes tied to the horses, or a billion other things that are crystal clear in the BD version.

Can't be a "fake," there's so much detail there that was clearly completely absent in the previous version.

Pincho 05-15-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

You can't even see the wagon spokes, or the ropes tied to the horses, or a billion other things that are crystal clear in the BD version.

Can't be a "fake," there's so much detail there that was clearly completely absent in the previous version.

Yes I know, but the DVD pictures don't look as clear as they should. I am watching terrestrial TV here now, and it looks clearer than those DVD pictures.

Stinky-Dinkins 05-15-2009 08:50 AM

So, what's your point exactly? That some standard def TV is clearer than that old DVD transfer, or that the DVD transfer has been faked to look poorer, or...?

Pincho 05-15-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

So, what's your point exactly? That some standard def TV is clearer than that old DVD transfer, or that the DVD transfer has been faked to look poorer, or...?

I think that all of the DVD pictures posted on here look terrible. They are only visible on my 17in monitor which should clean them up more than my 50in TV. So.. yeah maybe they are faked to look poorer.

Stinky-Dinkins 05-15-2009 08:56 AM

Well, it's not faked so I guess you can stop worrying about it and go back to staring blankly at the wall.

Rigby Reardon 05-15-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

Are there any good pictures of the packaging? It would be nice to look at some while I am waiting for my set to arrive!

http://www.grindhouse.it/index.php?/...lip-Video.html

paku 05-15-2009 09:17 AM

The DVD shots are from the really old, non-anamorphic edition. Here are the first two from the anamorphic version:

Paul Arnette 05-15-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Xylon 05-23-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho View Post

I think that all of the DVD pictures posted on here look terrible. They are only visible on my 17in monitor which should clean them up more than my 50in TV. So.. yeah maybe they are faked to look poorer.

Very nice.