Canadian Blu-ray Releases/Discussions - Complete List of Available & Coming Soon - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 334 Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the original TV series there was also a monkey...a chimpanzee with a prosthetic head dress. It was variously called "the bloop" or the proper name "Debbie". Rather than officially kill it off, it just stopped appearing. It's kinda' like the older brother "Chuck" in the first season of Happy Days. One show he's there, next show he's gone and nobody mentions his name again .

Back to the Canadian Blu-ray topic:

I see today that both FUTURE SHOP and BEST BUY are showing pictures of the Blu-ray A HARD DAYS NIGHT in their print flyers for next week (those flyers delivered this morning). The price at all places (including amazon.ca at last check) is $19.99 CDN. As I mentioned some time ago, I'm surprised at how little buzz this release is getting. Perhaps I'm just too old! I thought The Beatles on Blu-ray would be big news..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 334 Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

I see today that both FUTURE SHOP and BEST BUY are showing pictures of the Blu-ray A HARD DAYS NIGHT in their print flyers for next week (those flyers delivered this morning). The price at all places (including amazon.ca at last check) is $19.99 CDN. As I mentioned some time ago, I'm surprised at how little buzz this release is getting. Perhaps I'm just too old! I thought The Beatles on Blu-ray would be big news..

I'm really hoping someone posts a review soon. As huge a Beatles nut that I am, I can't afford an extra $20 bucks the same week the Beatles reissues and Beatles Rock Band come out; especially if it's for a crappy disc,
post #183 of 334 Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 PM

was browsing future shop today and noticed alliance released mr brooks, am very interested in buying this movie, so if anyone would care to let me know how picture quality is it's greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 334 Old 09-05-2009, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Is Stigmata still on track for this month?
post #185 of 334 Old 09-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason forster View Post

was browsing future shop today and noticed alliance released mr brooks, am very interested in buying this movie, so if anyone would care to let me know how picture quality is it's greatly appreciated.

Didn't Mr. Brooks already get a Fox Blu-Ray release? If so, then chances are Alliance just copied their disc and slapped it's own cover on it. Check the back of the box for telltale signs such as Spanish subtitles (or a Spanish dub), things that Alliance would never put on their own disc.
post #186 of 334 Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Huh? Don't you have that somewhat backward? -- the "story," "dialogue," and "situations," are the mere throwaway interchangeable frameworks supporting a blu-ray presentation, at least in my mind. If the sights and sounds are done properly, as in this case, one should not necessarily have any sense of what the story is about, much less care what the characters are mumbling. I would contend that if your home theater system and particular blu-ray feature are everything they ought to be, it might take up to around the fifth viewing to start to assimilate any sense of story, if that is even at all important to you.

Example: I recently watched the feature SUNSHINE for the first time. A friend asked me to recount what it was "about." Sensing that he was talking about the story, about all I could say was "...a spaceship goes toward the sun...?" Who the hell knows? If you can't remember, chances are you've got a keeper demo disc. If you find your concentration waning and focus starting to drift into attending to the dialogue or trying to keep track of what is "going on," sounds to me like you're listening to a book-on-tape audio cassette, with pictures.

But agreed, Since I've watched the LiS movie about 5 times in its entirety, I'd have to say the filmmakers could have created some additional excitement to kill that monkey -- possibly have Lacey do it, maybe not out of anger or spite, just show her choking it then walking away, and never thereafter refer to it again -- it is a sure bet most viewers found her and the monkey grating anyway, why not add some true mystery and depth to her character as long as we are not much appreciating her charms and hating on that cloyingly cutesy, ridiculously precious, smarmy cartoon monkey?

MOVIES ARE NOT SOMETHING TO DEMOS YOUR HT WITH!!!
HT exists to show movies, MOVIES aren't to show your HT.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #187 of 334 Old 09-05-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Obviously you've never been to a home theater meet! Sometimes it is indeed, all about the hardware.
post #188 of 334 Old 09-05-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

the hardware is merely the cineophile's vehicle to the movies.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #189 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This one is by Juice Productions Inc.

Specs here - Barebones - Theatrical Cut only - No subtitles

I did my best to match to the DVD frames used at Caps-a-holic.

No DNR or EE, but it's an older master featuring "crosshatch noise" like the US Blu-ray of "Total Recall" and some other titles.

Apart from that it's "film-like" but the film in question is a dirtied-up print featuring tons of black specks; in some sections on every frame!

Miramax owns the rights in the US. Maybe they'll give it a proper new master.

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017)
UHD: Philips BDP7501 | HD: PS3, WD TV Live
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
post #190 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

the hardware is merely the cineophile's vehicle to the movies.

Possibly, ambiguity of the statement bars absolutely ruling it out, but my point was that the movies are merely the vehicle to a sensory experience. That sensory experience must entice, otherwise there is no easily identifiable raison de-etre for a given production, save vanity.

Show me an adequate sensory experience, and I'll show you a movie that succeeds. Now folks may quibble about whether an obselete sensory experience such as is provided by GONE WITH THE WIND, for example, surpasses the success of STARSHIP TROOPERS II, again as example, but in my mind, there is no contest. I'll watch one, not the other.

Would I necessarily advocate the destruction/elimination of films whose technical achievements have been supplanted long ago? Not at all -- to each his own, there may well be seniors and others who are frightened or confused by sensory overload, to whom past limitations appeal.

Nothing wrong with a difference in preference to that sensory experience sought by moviegoers of all persuasions, but let's remember that before any consideration of plot, dialogue, characters, pacing, story, et al, you need two things: a system to purvey these elements AND a sensory experience package enticing enough to persuade someone to watch your little collection of revelations or events, otherwise you got zip.
post #191 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if Amazon.ca is selling the fixed version of Outlander? I rather not go through the trouble of importing it only to find that it's the wrong version.
post #192 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post

Does anyone know if Amazon.ca is selling the fixed version of Outlander? I rather not go through the trouble of importing it only to find that it's the wrong version.

I would also like to know.

post #193 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I finished Lost In Space tonight and was happy with the purchase.
Some technical problems, but overall good PQ and for the price I cannot complain.
Some goofy lines, but I always enjoy Heather Graham.
post #194 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

I've bought and watched an unusually high number of Blu-rays this week thanks to a $9.99CDN sale at Best Buy on a lot of Warner titles.

I've watched LOST IN SPACE (obviously not part of the WB sale), CREEPSHOW, THE REAPING, LADY IN THE WATER and TWILIGHT ZONE, THE MOVIE.

Of those, LOST IN SPACE was clearly superior in terms of picture quality to all of them.

I say that because some people have a tendency to write off Alliance titles based on a few bad experiences but titles have to be reviewed on their own merits.

Years ago, I used to by tons of "genre" DVDs...obscure sci-fi titles. The very best ones were released by Image from the Wade Williams collection. Most of them looked fantastic. They only produced two bad looking discs from worn prints: Destination Moon and Invaders From Mars. One day, I saw a post from a guy who called the Image releases crap and said he wouldn't give them another penny. This shocked me and I asked him which Image DVD he bought. He answered, "Destination Moon and Invaders From Mars". Poor guy had bought the pair of stinkers and,not surprisingly, formed his opinion on those purchases.

There are many Alliance releases that I haven't bought based on bad reviews. But there are many Alliance BDs that look very good and deserve a purchase. LOST IN SPACE looks good.
post #195 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alliance released a wonderful BD of Nightmare on Elm Street.
For that I'll always love them.

post #196 of 334 Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

To much DNR on that release for my taste. You could really see it in the hair.
post #197 of 334 Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does anyone know if Inetvideo or Amazon.ca is selling the corrected OAR version of Outlander?
post #198 of 334 Old 09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Someone reported in the deals thread that Equalibrium is non-OAR. Is this true?
post #199 of 334 Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
^^^^I just picked this up, but I'm waiting to see how it pans out before opening it. I don't want to take one for the team on this one. I'm not too thrilled that it only shows DD 5.1 for audio as well. That's why I'm not going to open it. I want to be able to return it if need be.
post #200 of 334 Old 09-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Someone reported in the deals thread that Equalibrium is non-OAR. Is this true?

It's mentioned in the main Equilibrium thread that the UK and Canadian are 1.78:1. It's opened up for live scenes and cropped for CGI scenes. FWIW, the disc looks and sounds great.
post #201 of 334 Old 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post

^^^^I just picked this up, but I'm waiting to see how it pans out before opening it. I don't want to take one for the team on this one. I'm not too thrilled that it only shows DD 5.1 for audio as well. That's why I'm not going to open it. I want to be able to return it if need be.

It only says DD 5.1 on the cover, but the movie itself comes in 3 flavours :
English DTS-HDMA, English DD 5.1, and French 2.0 (+ an additional 2 commentary tracks).
post #202 of 334 Old 09-07-2009, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I agree, big upgrade over the HD Broadcast version and the DVD.
post #203 of 334 Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_S View Post

It only says DD 5.1 on the cover, but the movie itself comes in 3 flavours :
English DTS-HDMA, English DD 5.1, and French 2.0 (+ an additional 2 commentary tracks).

Thanks for that. Just my luck, I find out to late to watch it tonight and tomorrow, I'm back on afternoons, so I won't get to this until the weekend at earliest
post #204 of 334 Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up A HARD DAY'S NIGHT.

The official release date is tomorrow (Wednesday) which is a bit odd but it's in line with other Beatles related releases. Fortunately, the usually draconian computer system at Canadian Best Buy stores recognizes today as the release date so I found it in the store and, much to my surprise, it went through the cash register with no problem.

DVDbeaver has his review up and, honestly, his opinion and mine are pretty much in lock step so there isn't much point in me adding a lot more:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...ddaysnight.htm

It is, again, 1080i...oh well. Nevertheless, the screen caps in his review clearly show more detail in the Blu-ray. There are some specks and flecks that show the films age but I can live with them. This disc has most of the extras from the DVD release. I didn't check all of the BD extras against the DVD extras (my first concern was just enjoying the movie) but I can tell you that significant extras are listed and I briefly checked out a few of them.

As for the sound, I thought it sounded glorious. Again, like the beaver review, I'm not in a position to give a scientifically quantified review of what sounds better than what. I can only say, it was perfect to my ears. I've actually got some old Beatles on vinyl. I bought the ORIGINAL issues on CD when the discs were released in the mid/late 1980's (got them on the FIRST DAY of release). So, while I'm not an audio engineer, I've think I've heard enough Beatles over enough decades to render a casual judgement and I'm happy.

Perhaps there will be a future restoration which will dress out the specks and flecks and we'll get a 1080p transfer. This release may be the best we see for a long time and I think it's pretty good. For $19.99CDN, it's more than reasonable.
post #205 of 334 Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hate to disagree with Dex, but I was very underwhelmed.

It appears to be the old telecine made for the 1998 New Line Platinum Series snapper DVD. Very edgy and filled with temporal DNR throughout. Black levels seemed elevated in many shots, but I guess it's not a transfer issue considering the black on the "penny vision" logo is as low as it gets.

On the plus side, colors are good, it's OAR, and the photography of this film really is great. Compression is also fine.

One other thing I noticed is that either a lot or all of future-Will's lines were dubbed over. They didn't even try to match lip sync in some shots, and a bunch of others seem deliberately framed to hide his mouth.

Specs here

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017)
UHD: Philips BDP7501 | HD: PS3, WD TV Live
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
post #206 of 334 Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Im really curious about Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2.

I ordered part 2 but I won't get that for a while. I'm curious if these are bare bones or have extras. Otherwise I'll get the German import of part 1.
post #207 of 334 Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Updated OP
post #208 of 334 Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodd View Post

Im really curious about Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2.

I ordered part 2 but I won't get that for a while. I'm curious if these are bare bones or have extras. Otherwise I'll get the German import of part 1.

Did they actually come out? Both are listed as "Not Available" on Amazon.ca
post #209 of 334 Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter02 View Post

Did they actually come out? Both are listed as "Not Available" on Amazon.ca

Nope never came out.
post #210 of 334 Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

An OUTLANDER heads up for those with access to Future Shop.

Future Shop is selling the corrected OUTLANDER (2.35:1 plus bonus materials) for $12.99CDN.

They have a display with many great deals...it will probably show up in the Friday flyer. Fanboyz is also $12.99 (although I only bought OUTLANDER...convince me to buy Fanboyz).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page