Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 136
This is scheduled to be out on the 21st. I saw it in the theaters in 3D and thought it had an excellent story and loved the 3D. I won't buy this now only because I'm going to wait for the upcoming 3D standard to be settled on first. It will be released again later on in the 3D format. I will rent it though on BD (Netflix) in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you liked Nightmare Before Christmas or Corpse Bride I would say rent this. Coraline is a very different film, it is very lifeless, slow, and boring. The voice actors sound bored, the score is dull, the story stays stuck one single speed from beginning to end and there is very little emotion in anything in the film.

It is absolutely stunning to look at, the sculptors and artists involved did some amazing work. For that reason alone it's worth seeing at least once. I'm willing to bet this looks more 3D on a good display than it did in theaters.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #3 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

If you liked Nightmare Before Christmas or Corpse Bride I would say rent this. Coraline is a very different film, it is very lifeless, slow, and boring. The voice actors sound bored, the score is dull, the story stays stuck one single speed from beginning to end and there is very little emotion in anything in the film.

It is absolutely stunning to look at, the sculptors and artists involved did some amazing work. For that reason alone it's worth seeing at least once. I'm willing to bet this looks more 3D on a good display than it did in theaters.

It got a great review on Blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...53&show=review

Also rated 88% on RottenTomatoes so it appears to be a good movie. Amazon has it for a good price so definitely a blind buy for me!

AV equipment: Sony XBR65X930E, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-X800 UHD, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

wow, are those screen caps representative of how this blu-ray looks? looks kind of bad compression artifacts everywhere...
post #5 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

wow, are those screen caps representative of how this blu-ray looks? looks kind of bad compression artifacts everywhere...

You need a user-account to see the full 1080p screenshots which are more representative of the true PQ.

5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)

post #6 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Also rated 88% on RottenTomatoes so it appears to be a good movie. Amazon has it for a good price so definitely a blind buy for me!

Not to knock the quality of the movie or blu-ray disc, but no big surprise it got almost all 5/5 on blu-ray.com.

It's blu-ray.com

Blu-ray = 775
post #7 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP View Post

Not to knock the quality of the movie or blu-ray disc, but no big surprise it got almost all 5/5 on blu-ray.com.

It's blu-ray.com

That's true. Hopefully a more reputable site like DVDBeaver will have a review of it soon. I still think that the PQ will rate well due to the nature of the stop-animation.

post #8 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

I saw Nightmare on Blu via Netflix and Coraline at the theaters in 3D and found the opposite to be true for me. Will be buying Coraline on day 1 regardless of how the 3D looked. Anyone know of any reviews over the 3D effects? The Blu-ray.com review seems to have neglected the 3D part.
post #9 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:

It's blu-ray.com

Normally I'd agree, but that's Ken Brown, who actually IMO is one of the only good reviewers on the internet. He's very smart and knows what he's talking about. He'll spot DNR and EE on a Blu Ray when other reviewers would gush about it.
post #10 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

The screen caps are JPEG so there's going to be compression artifacts.
post #11 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Right, those pics on bluray.com aren't full 1080p and are compressed. So, that'll do it. I'm sure the disc looks fine.
post #12 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I highly recommend the audio version of Coraline as read by Neil Gaiman, the author. There are some differences between the original version and the movie (aren't there always?), and the story is much creepier. It's about 3 1/2 hours long, so there is a bit more to it, too.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #13 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Watched it Tuesday. The 3D look good, similar to My Bloody Valentine 3D. I still like Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas better.
post #14 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think you may be right at least in terms of resolution and contrast. The polarized glasses unfortunately take a lot of punch out of the image.
post #15 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
A great movie,especially picture quality.
post #16 of 218 Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 136
There are some stunning 3D shots in there. When she goes through to the other world that tunnel looks great as does the shots of the house from different angles. Has this been released in anaglyph 3D?

Never mind I just read the review. He said the same thing I did in the thread I started in the DVD, Movie forum earlier this year. I also found the movie refreshing in comparison to say the Pixar movies. Not a knock on Pixar but this was so different that it was indeed refreshing. I hope they do a sequel.
post #17 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 AM

The film is easily one of the best of the year. If you like films like Nightmare, it's worth a look. I saw it in 2D and 3D. The 3D wasn't too bad, and better than most, but it still barely added anything to the experience. So I wouldn't hold off just for it.
post #18 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked: 3714
Are the Coraline 3-D glasses the same color as MBV-3D?
post #19 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingon Jedi View Post

The film is easily one of the best of the year. If you like films like Nightmare, it's worth a look. I saw it in 2D and 3D. The 3D wasn't too bad, and better than most, but it still barely added anything to the experience. So I wouldn't hold off just for it.

I disagree. The film was made for 3-D and every shot was carefully designed for the format.
post #20 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

I disagree. The film was made for 3-D and every shot was carefully designed for the format.

But from the stop motion HD titles already released it's been demonstrated how much depth they actually display by the nature of the medium itself. In my opinion that 3D effect is more convincing than any of the Real-D presentations I've seen yet.

The only 3D movie that's used the effect correctly in my opinion is Monsters V. Aliens, it totally works to increase the scale of the film...something that doesn't really benefit Coraline. Coraline mostly used it to have stuff popping out at you, and the image depth should be similar on a properly calibrated screen.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #21 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Coraline mostly used it to have stuff popping out at you, and the image depth should be similar on a properly calibrated screen.

This is something I'm wondering about, do these Blu-rays with 3D features using the colored glasses include a calibration pattern for you to adjust the colors to get the proper effect? If they don't include such a thing every household will have a different experience viewing these 3D titles.
post #22 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 85
With color films, you're not going to get a decent 3-D experience with anaglyph (colored) glasses. Period. With B&W, maybe, but you never really forget the two colors.

Only the polarized light process gives a decent result. There are displays processed for home viewing that use a "shuttered" glasses system, but someone else would have to explain it. At any rate, there is little software for this solution, though at one time a very few of the 3-D films from the fifties were available.

I am waiting for a decent home system before I drop any long green on 3-D titles.

CW Hinkle
post #23 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

With color films, you're not going to get a decent 3-D experience with anaglyph (colored) glasses. Period. With B&W, maybe, but you never really forget the two colors.

Only the polarized light process gives a decent result. There are displays processed for home viewing that use a "shuttered" glasses system, but someone else would have to explain it. At any rate, there is little software for this solution, though at one time a very few of the 3-D films from the fifties were available.

I am waiting for a decent home system before I drop any long green on 3-D titles.

I think for the polarized system to work, you'd need a display capable of native 120Hz. From what I know most of the current line of 120Hz LCDs do not qualify for this, one TV I know supports this is Samsung's 750 LED DLPs. Another thing is you would need devices capable of sending the signals to the display. Basically for it to work most of what we have in our homes have to go.
post #24 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

It's blu-ray.com

Quote:

Quote:

That's true. Hopefully a more reputable site like DVDBeaver will have a review of it soon. I still think that the PQ will rate well due to the nature of the stop-animation.

I think I know where that review came from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a7qpOPsW5U

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
TheaterByte

post #25 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Now, onto the topic of Coraline in 3D, if anyone here happened to see the Mitsubishi booth at the recent CEA Lineshows with their 3D-ready DLPs (they also have 3D-ready LaserVue displays) running Coraline in 3D using their Nvidia/DirectX scheme with polarized glasses sending 60Hz to each eye, you'd know how great 3D could look in the home. There was no difference in detail and color between the 2D and 3D versions at all. Unfortunately, there is no way to play that back from Blu-ray as of today. The whole format relied on DirectX running from a PC.

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
TheaterByte

post #26 of 218 Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy View Post

Now, onto the topic of Coraline in 3D, if anyone here happened to see the Mitsubishi booth at the recent CEA Lineshows with their 3D-ready DLPs (they also have 3D-ready LaserVue displays) running Coraline in 3D using their Nvidia/DirectX scheme with polarized glasses sending 60Hz to each eye, you'd know how great 3D could look in the home. There was no difference in detail and color between the 2D and 3D versions at all. Unfortunately, there is no way to play that back from Blu-ray as of today. The whole format relied on DirectX running from a PC.

I seen this setup in action at CES in January. For that setup you'd need nvidia's kit which i believe is $200 or $300 I forget. You'd also need a compatible nvidia video card in your PC. And like you said, even after all that you'd still need someone to deliver the content and with so few ppl able to support it no one is going to deliver the content. It does look great though, as good as seeing Coraline 3D in the theaters here on digital projection.
post #27 of 218 Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
does anyone know if this version at amazon contains the 3-d version with the glasses? it does say 3-d in the format section of the description, but nothing about glasses.

it looks like the cover art is slightly different than the version on buy.com that explicitly references 3-d w/glasses.

also, anyone know what anaglyph version this uses? it is red/cyan or magenta/green?
post #28 of 218 Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

does anyone know if this version at amazon contains the 3-d version with the glasses? it does say 3-d in the format section of the description, but nothing about glasses.

it looks like the cover art is slightly different than the version on buy.com that explicitly references 3-d w/glasses.

also, anyone know what anaglyph version this uses? it is red/cyan or magenta/green?

Someone earlier said Magenta/Green, same as My Bloody Valentine. I think there's only one version of Coraline on Blu-ray rather than multiple versions with and without 3D.
post #29 of 218 Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
thanks. I just read the bluray.com review and was going to edit my post.

I'll prob just netflix this - as it sounds like both versions are on the same disk and I have green/magenta glasses from journey to the center of the earth.

not expecting that much from the 3d, but thought journey was a fun for what it was. definitely looking forward to a fp with 120hz input.....and some actual content to use with it.
post #30 of 218 Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Has anyone watched this yet in their home theater?

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page