Triangle - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What, no love for this movie? Do yourselves a favor and check this film out. First, don't confuse this with some SyFy channel cheapie, or some haunted ship knock-off either. And for god's sake, don't read up on it...best to go into this one cold. Trust me on that.

Great performance from Melissa George (DARK CITY, MULHOLLAND FALLS, AMITYVILLE HORROR, IN TREATMENT) and a plot that just can't be given away. George's performance is the best thing I've ever seen this actress do and she never hits a false note. (And believe me, it's far from a one-note role.) If you like movies with some refreshing intelligence and mind games, don't miss this one. It's a movie that, when it ends, you won't be able to resist going back to the beginning. Sure there are a few flaws, primarily in a couple CG shots, but not in the acting, writing, or directing. A gem!

Unfortunately, this film screams for a director's commentary but there is none (nor any real extras to speak of, aside from some brief interview clips). But if the movie is what is important, this one deserves your time. I've enjoyed director Christopher Smith's previous work, but this one is his best so far. Might become my first BD purchase of 2010. (Yes, I'm that picky!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's sitting in my to-be-watched pile.
post #3 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Watched the other night.
Very good thriller/mystery.
Recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 05:20 AM

Liked: 10
I thought you meant the Tsui Hark/Ringo Lam/Johnnie To one, obviously we need a moratorium on movies and TV shows called "Triangle".
post #5 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

What, no love for this movie?

I liked it well enough. Melissa George is certainly an attraction. Redbox has the DVD, by the way.

I saw it back to back with TIMECRIMES; a good combination. PRIMER would work too, although that one is more complicated.

Time travel (which is the theme, sort of, not exactly...) is always paradoxical. So the plot does not need to be tightly coherent. Which is my way of saying it would be churlish to pick it apart. The dream-like, verging on nightmare quality of this film is more important than the mechanics.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I didn't know anything about it when I rented it (I thought it was going to be a slasher flick, actually), so I was pleasantly surprised by the twists in the movie. Although a bit unrelated, "Fraility" is another movie that surpasses it horror roots genre also.
post #7 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post

I didn't know anything about it when I rented it (I thought it was going to be a slasher flick, actually), so I was pleasantly surprised by the twists in the movie. Although a bit unrelated, "Fraility" is another movie that surpasses it horror roots genre also.

Agreed. FRAILTY is one of only four BD discs I purchased in 2009. I can understand why some would think TRIANGLE is a slasher flick...the cover art certainly conveys that impression. I guess I can understand why...I mean, how does a studio/company sell this movie without giving anything away??? That's why I decided to start a thread. Since the film is much more than initially meets the eye, some might miss out on it, based on erroneous preconceptions. Actually, I consider TRIANGLE (and FRAILTY) more as psychological thrillers (though both have some horror elements).
But the next time I see a seagull....!
post #8 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It's in my Q...thanks!
post #9 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
This is an extremely thought provoking movie, IMO. It must be seen at least twice.
post #10 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:

What, no love for this movie?

I'm desperately trying to find it in the montreal area... amazon to the rescue!

(I'll check again when I get 2012 tonight)

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #11 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:

What, no love for this movie? Do yourselves a favor and check this film out. First, don't confuse this with some SyFy channel cheapie, or some haunted ship knock-off either. And for god's sake, don't read up on it...best to go into this one cold. Trust me on that.

Great performance from Melissa George (DARK CITY, MULHOLLAND FALLS, AMITYVILLE HORROR, IN TREATMENT) and a plot that just can't be given away. George's performance is the best thing I've ever seen this actress do and she never hits a false note. (And believe me, it's far from a one-note role.) If you like movies with some refreshing intelligence and mind games, don't miss this one. It's a movie that, when it ends, you won't be able to resist going back to the beginning. Sure there are a few flaws, primarily in a couple CG shots, but not in the acting, writing, or directing. A gem!

Unfortunately, this film screams for a director's commentary but there is none (nor any real extras to speak of, aside from some brief interview clips). But if the movie is what is important, this one deserves your time. I've enjoyed director Christopher Smith's previous work, but this one is his best so far. Might become my first BD purchase of 2010. (Yes, I'm that picky!)

There was a trailer for this on something I watched last week and I thought it looked good so added it to queue, guess I'll bump it up! As far as Melissa George you forgot 30 Days of Night in her resume... loved that movie!

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #12 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:

First, don't confuse this with some SyFy channel cheapie

I actually dig SyFy's Triangle by Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin. I thought it was a pretty engaging show from start to end.
post #13 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

There was a trailer for this on something I watched last week and I thought it looked good so added it to queue, guess I'll bump it up! As far as Melissa George you forgot 30 Days of Night in her resume... loved that movie!

Didn't forget 30 DAYs...just that she's got a very long resume! But she's really topped herself in TRIANGLE. Like Sam Rockwell in MOON, she carries the film. But unlike MOON, she has to experience an extremely wide range of emotions. Lesser talents could easily overplay it, but she shows restraint, complexity and, in my opinion, knocks it out-of-the-park.
post #14 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Most reviews I read labeled this as a better thriller and well done. It was well done for what they were trying to do but might as well have been a Seinfeld movie about nothing. Once I got far enough into the movie to tell what was going on I lost all interest. Nothing really happened. The psychological aspect of it did not float my boat. 90 mins I will never get back. But that happens. I think they put out the best product they could but when I watch a thriller I want to get behind somebody and join them to figure it out and then win in the end. There was no payoff here and the dead fish expression the main gal had on here face began to annoy me 5 minutes into the movie. Hopefully YMMV.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #15 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWTG View Post

I actually dig SyFy's Triangle by Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin. I thought it was a pretty engaging show from start to end.

My bad, as I had forgotten about the Singer offering and didn't mean to slam it. I was actually speaking genericly, meaning to refer more to their usual crap-fest films (along with any number of DTV flicks) and not any one title specifically.
post #16 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

There was no payoff here and the dead fish expression the main gal had on here face began to annoy me 5 minutes into the movie.

I didn't realize Keira Knightley was in this.

post #17 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

...but when I watch a thriller I want to get behind somebody and join them to figure it out and then win in the end. There was no payoff here and the dead fish expression the main gal had on here face began to annoy me 5 minutes into the movie. Hopefully YMMV.

It's true, this is not a movie where everything is neatly tied up with a bow at the end. The fact that there was no "payoff" is the point and part of the tragedy. As for her "dead fish" expression at the beginning, remember at the outset that she's tired and probably distracted also...I thought she conveyed that quite well.
post #18 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I discovered this film a few weeks ago and loved it. I've already watched Triangle three times. I read that the screenplay took 2 years to write.That does not surprise me as I love the way the film plays with time and memory. Triangle has become one of my favorite films of 2009.
post #19 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

I didn't realize Keira Knightley was in this.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #20 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM

I watched this a few weeks ago having picked it up during a "lull" in good releases.

I wasn't expecting much but this movie grabbed me from the beginning. I actually think going into this one cold (as in not having any knowledge of the plot line) was a huge benefit.

I wathced it again with my wife and she loved it as well. She called it a "a complete Nightmare Mind-#$% of a movie".

Great stuff.

-Arpeggio

I am NOT fat, my aspect ratio is just set wrong....

-=[Arpeggio]=-
post #21 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post

I wasn't expecting much but this movie grabbed me from the beginning. I actually think going into this one cold (as in not having any knowledge of the plot line) was a huge benefit.

Absolutely. That's why I suggested that it's best not to read up on it or check out any reviews. Best to go in with as little fore-knowledge as possible. But again, that must have put marketing people in an unenviable position. By the way, your wife's comments were close to the exact words I used while watching the film!
post #22 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Yes, I liked this movie. Melissa George was great in it. I think I remember her from "DERAILED" (wasn't she Clive Owen's wife?).

Anyway, I've found myself thinking about this movie and it's nightmarish story quite alot since watching it. It definately plays on your mind and stays with you.

The UK BD has TONS of extra features including a commentary!
post #23 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2012 and Universal Soldier both had waits so Blockbuster shipped this today, looking forward to it. I didn't know my wife had read the description and moved it up in my queue last night, lol.

post #24 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

The UK BD has TONS of extra features including a commentary!

Damn! Unfortunately, my player doesn't handle the PAL format. And, according to Amazon, the aspect ratio is showing as 1.78:1! An error perhaps? Any other imports around? Since it was made in Australia, has there been a release there? I've been searching but can't seem to find anything.
post #25 of 103 Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:

Damn! Unfortunately, my player doesn't handle the PAL format. And, according to Amazon, the aspect ratio is showing as 1.78:1! An error perhaps? Any other imports around? Since it was made in Australia, has there been a release there? I've been searching but can't seem to find anything.

The DVD has the correct aspect ratio so I would have thought that the bluray would do as well.

Review of UK DVD: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id.../triangle.html
post #26 of 103 Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Good call on this movie! Probably the best film I've seen so far this year. Perfect antidote to having previously watched the dumb 2012. Should also make note of the very effective surround audio track on TRIANGLE as well.
post #27 of 103 Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched this last night, gave my wife nightmares but I found it to be more of a thriller/thinker and really enjoyed it. I was a bit confused with the ending, anyone care to offer some insight?

post #28 of 103 Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 4588
Quote:

Watched this last night, gave my wife nightmares but I found it to be more of a thriller/thinker and really enjoyed it. I was a bit confused with the ending, anyone care to offer some insight?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

Well, it doesn't end. You could say it goes back to the beginning, but that's not quite right, given the accumulating artifacts and bodies of the repeated attempts. One wonders if the ship will eventually sink under the weight...

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #29 of 103 Old 03-06-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Spoiler  

Well, it doesn't end. You could say it goes back to the beginning, but that's not quite right, given the accumulating artifacts and bodies of the repeated attempts. One wonders if the ship will eventually sink under the weight...

-Bill

Thanks for the response, I got that part but was wondering...
Spoiler  
First off could she be dead and in hell, to quote Storm of the Century "hell is repetition" *or* is the reason behind the repetition not clear in which case I don't understand where the last version of Jes came from. If it was her previous self from the bag in the trunk that was covered on the street after the accident it could not be the Jes that was driving the car that took the cab because she had her sweater on which she had already lost when trying to cover the other girl's wound. So where did the last version of Jes come from?

post #30 of 103 Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the response, I got that part but was wondering...
Spoiler  
First off could she be dead and in hell, to quote Storm of the Century "hell is repetition" *or* is the reason behind the repetition not clear in which case I don't understand where the last version of Jes came from. If it was her previous self from the bag in the trunk that was covered on the street after the accident it could not be the Jes that was driving the car that took the cab because she had her sweater on which she had already lost when trying to cover the other girl's wound. So where did the last version of Jes come from?

Spoiler  
I interpreted it as she died. Check out the change in lighting when the cabbie comes into play. Also, he referred to himself, not as a cabbie, or cab driver...he says..."I'm just the driver." Odd choice of words, I thought. In keeping with the Greek mythology aspect at play in the film, he could be a representation of the River Styx Ferryman, bringing her back to her fate, to start over again. With the seagull keeping an eye on things. Obviously, she has some residual memories, which is why she had deja vu when she first stepped onto the ship. Or, as was often said on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, "This has happened before, this will happen again." If suicide is thought of as the "ultimate" sin, then what sort of sin is it for a person to kill oneself externally? She didn't just commit murder...she killed herself. Yet she lives? In essence, she, like Sisyphus, cheated death...and now she will continue to try to cheat death...fpr eternity. That's how I interpreted it anyway. But I could be wrong and might think differently after a second (or third) viewing.

But would love to hear what others think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page